Source of exhaust smell in cabin

72chevy4x4

What are likely sources for exhaust fumes in the cabin?

Only happens when parked such as starting the van in the morning while it sits for 4-5 minutes.

I’ve looked at the components under the hood but don’t see anything obvious such as darkened areas (where exhaust gases may have discolored it).

It’s an 08 with 192k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Düsseldorfer

Black Death not as common on the 3.0L V6 engine, but the cracked EGR pipes are.
I didn't say it was common. But my 2008 got BD on three cylinders at about the same mileage that 72chev has on his rig, so IMHO it's something worth looking at.

Last edited:

Deepspoke

I'll second Düsseldorfer. Have a 2007 with 150K and have had the pipe crack and also minor BD. With a cracked pipe I was able to hear the rush of exhaust on the passenger side near the firewall until it totally blew and sounded like a dragster. My BD was silent; the leaking injector was on the passenger side so fairly easy to service.

72chevy4x4

I'm going to need to read up on the symptoms of black death, because I'm not familiar with the signs/symptoms.

My issue is a cracked EGR tube. Finally had a stronger smell and crawled around until I could see the blackened area up near where the EGR tube connects to whatever it connects to.

tried searching this site as well as youtube for info on changing the egr tube but came up empty on what is involved. how difficult is it? Anything else I should change out that may be around the lifespan of the component? I saw an EGR long tube (which looks like what I need) and an EGR short tube-what is this for?

Top Bottom