Dumb Question - Transmission Filler Tube?

DUTCH VanAtlanta

Curmudgeon
Where is it?

I was looking at a new 3500 EXT NCV3 RV conversion today, and tried to find the top of the auto transmission oil filler tube, aka dip stick tube. I know that there is no dipstick in the tube, but could not find the top of the tube in the engine bay.

Was I blind or just missing it? Could someone tell me where to look or perhaps even post a picture? TIA.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

Comrade, no such thing as dumb questions, only dumb answers. What year? Trans dipstick is sold separately.

Location of trans tube varies as does type of dipsticks, red and green. This is what you are looking for.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

pfflyer

If my memory is correct it is on the passenger side of the engine and it has a red cap on it. Sorry no pictures.

F2ca170

The color on the cap on the tube is actually a locking tab that will break each time you remove the cap (to use the optional dipstick). Be sure to get a pack of locking tabs for your onboard tool bag. I use ones made by Dorman and they're red.

mikeme

2015 LTV IB: 2015 3500 V6
You can also modify a replacement locking tab so it is removeable.

also, folks have operated without the locking tab just fine.

Make sure the O ring comes off with the cap. (Bob, can you add one more photo of the cap from the transmission's point of view?)

DUTCH VanAtlanta

Curmudgeon
@Bobnoxious Thanks for the photos. It's an RV conversion on a 2018 chassis, to be delivered next week. Any chance for a photo from back a little so I can see where on the engine it is located. I knew what to look for, but could not locate it in the engine bay.

@pfflyer Did you go to the Atlanta RV Show in Jonesboro this weekend? We went yesterday, and it was MOBBED!

To the other respondents, Thank You!

sailquik

DUTCH VanAtlanta,
Which engine and transmission combination does this RV have?
If it's a 2019 with the OM-642 3.0 Liter V6 and the 7G-Tronic 7 speed transmission, I'm not sure, but
if its a 2018 or older with the 5G-Tronic 5 speed the transmission dipstick tube is normally found a few inches behind the
engine oil dipstick on the RH side of the engine (in front of the passenger seat) about 1/2 way back on the engine.
It's a little lower than the engine oil dipstick so a little harder to find.
And, as suggested purchase a transmission dipstick appropriate for the type of transmission.
Since your first "A" service is not until you have 20k miles on the RV, why are you worried about the transmission
fluid level?
And remember, you really want to have the services done at an authorized Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealer (particularly
the first "A" service with the additional checks like the rear axle U-bolts).
As an aside, and to get you hooked up with your nearest Authorized MB Sprinter Commercial dealer, it would be smart to
take your new RV in for a Front End alignment as soon as you get it home.
May save you wearing out a set of front tires, and will help you to establish a relationship with the dealer's service department.
They may agree to do the alignment check under the new vehicle warranty.
Also smart to have them check the balance on all your wheels if you first determine that they have the 161.2 mm wheel
balancing adapter that is REQUIRED to correctly balance 519/3500 Sprinter dually wheels.
Look for an authorized Sprinter Commercial dealer that has the dedicated Sprinter specific high bay shop space and the
heavier duty Sprinter specific service racks and balancing/alignment equipment.
Roger

Last edited:

pfflyer

@Bobnoxious Thanks for the photos. It's an RV conversion on a 2018 chassis, to be delivered next week. Any chance for a photo from back a little so I can see where on the engine it is located. I knew what to look for, but could not locate it in the engine bay.

@pfflyer Did you go to the Atlanta RV Show in Jonesboro this weekend? We went yesterday, and it was MOBBED!

To the other respondents, Thank You!
We planned on going but got side tracked. There is going to be another show in Perry sponsored by FMCA March 13-16th that we are planning on attending. Even though it is being sponsored by Family Motor Coach Association I understand there will be non-motorized vendors and vendors that have products for both there. I figured this weekends show would be packed. The Scott Antique Mall is held there as well and it seems like there is never enough parking. Did you take the Sprinter there and was there any issues finding a big enough parking space?

pfflyer

DUTCH VanAtlanta,
If it's a 2019 with the OM-642 3.0 Liter V6 and the 7G-Tronic 7 speed transmission, I'm not sure, but
if its a 2018 or older with the 5G-Tronic 5 speed the transmission dipstick tube is normally found a few inches behind the
engine oil dipstick on the RH side of the engine (in front of the passenger seat) about 1/2 way back on the engine.
It's a little lower than the engine oil dipstick so a little harder to find.
And, as suggested purchase a transmission dipstick appropriate for the type of transmission.
Since your first "A" service is not until you have 20k miles on the RV, why are you worried about the transmission
fluid level?
And remember, you really want to have the services done at an authorized Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealer (particularly
the first "A" service with the additional checks like the rear axle U-bolts).
As an aside, and to get you hooked up with your nearest Authorized MB Sprinter Commercial dealer, it would be smart to
take your new RV in for a Front End alignment as soon as you get it home.
May save you wearing out a set of front tires, and will help you to establish a relationship with the dealer's service department.
They may agree to do the alignment check under the new vehicle warranty.
Also smart to have them check the balance on all your wheels if you first determine that they have the 161.2 mm wheel
balancing adapter that is REQUIRED to correctly balance 519/3500 Sprinter dually wheels.
Look for an authorized Sprinter Commercial dealer that has the dedicated Sprinter specific high bay shop space and the
heavier duty Sprinter specific service racks and balancing/alignment equipment.
Roger
If you want the torque converter drained with your transmission service, dealers wont do it or at least the 2 dealers I asked said they wont because MB does not say it should be. I cant remember the reasoning why they say it is not needed but both service advisors came up with close to the same answer.

DUTCH VanAtlanta

Curmudgeon
We planned on going but got side tracked. There is going to be another show in Perry sponsored by FMCA March 13-16th that we are planning on attending. Even though it is being sponsored by Family Motor Coach Association I understand there will be non-motorized vendors and vendors that have products for both there. I figured this weekends show would be packed. The Scott Antique Mall is held there as well and it seems like there is never enough parking. Did you take the Sprinter there and was there any issues finding a big enough parking space?
My conversion is sitting on the Coachmen assembly line. Was due off today, but weather has them socked in. Below zero pretty much all week and -40°F wind chill one night. I'll bet the diesel gels up, if they take it outside.

DUTCH VanAtlanta

Curmudgeon
DUTCH VanAtlanta,
It's a 2018 OM642 with the 5G-Tronic. Should be delivered by the end of next week, so I'll look closer then.

mikeme

My apology Mike for the delay, just noticed your request.
I meant the cap the way it looks from the transmission.

like this. (but thanks for your responsiveness to my request.)

the feature of interest is the O ring.

for a bonus, I modified one of the spare clips that is designed to break off when removed.

I used a file to remove part of the clip on the right with a file. this makes the clip removeable.

I also found that partly inserting a clip which has the top broken off still secures the cap.

folks have found the cap without any clip pretty stable.

mikeme

Here is a little more detail. the tab is inserted to keep the wedge (arrow labeled lock points to the wedge) forced against the outside lip of the dipstick tube.

the other arrow points to the part of the cap which secures the locking tab so hard that it cannot be removed without breaking.

the tab shown here is the one I modified, so that the tab can be removed without breaking. it still secures the locking wedge and keeps the cap secure.

Top Bottom