Rail Pressure problems

tougasr

A mechanic trying to solve my 2008 Sprinter problem with rail pressure.
He gets the error "PO 088 Fuel Rail Pressure High". It's the only code in the system.
We put in a new tank pump, fresh fuel, new filter.
The check engine light is ON.
It works well at lower speeds, but above 60 mph it tanks.
Any suggestions?

A mechanic trying to solve my 2008 Sprinter problem with rail pressure.
He gets the error "PO 088 Fuel Rail Pressure High". It's the only code in the system.
We put in a new tank pump, fresh fuel, new filter.
The check engine light is ON.
It works well at lower speeds, but above 60 mph it tanks.
Any suggestions?
Why did he put in a new tank pump, fresh fuel, and a new fuel filter?

tougasr

Once they took the tank out, they found that the tank and the tubes/pump/filter were very badly shellacked. They cleaned it all out, replaced what they found necessary (i.e. could not be cleaned).

tougasr

I might add for clarity that this Sprinter is part of an RV, Coachmen Dorado. It does spend some time in Florida and not used. We use it mainly in summer time. We try to drive it at least once a month, but sometimes it's a little longer.

Be aware that a low rail pressure condition can trigger a high rail pressure DTC. The pressure goes toward low, the system reacts and overshoots. Sometimes a low pressure DTC isn't triggered.

Has anyone used live data?

Good luck.

:cheers: vic

manwithgun

Unknown member
Your problem is likely more specific to the NCV3 platform V6 engine and might get a better response in that sub-forum. This should give you a head start if you haven't tried using the search function yet.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69805

Another thing that you may learn is that Google serves as a much better "search" device than the offered search bar provided by this forum. Some have found relief by installing and adapting a new fuel pressure regulator (drivers side fuel rail) while others have found issue in control/signal voltage from inconsistent continuity from either termination or wire faults. Random parts swapping is an expensive and low probability approach.

Top Bottom