Diesel engine heater questions

FINNDIAN

My 2018 170 crew 4x4 had a factory installed 5kw engine heater.
I did do some searches on the forum as well as reading through the owner's manual but I'm still not completely sure on how this heater functions.

I can set it on a timer to preheat the engine. This seems to work fine. Although I'm not sure how long it is supposed to run. It does seem to turn off eventually if I don't start the van. Maybe after an hour or so.
If I start the van and drive, it switches to a booster mode? Not sure the difference. I don't believe I've had this turn off on its own. I've turned it off manually after 1.5 hours.
What determines ruin time in either mode? It's mine working properly?

Last week for a few days my heater would light up every single time I started the van. I fiddled with the manual switch on the dash a few times and finally got it to stop starting up every time.

Thanks
Gord

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

DesertRat

I too am somewhat foggy on how everything works. But I do have some info for you:

If you engage the heater to turn on without the van running, there is a set amount of time it will run, which depends on the temperature outside. You can usually run it multiple times to get the coolant temp up, or help warm the air coming form the dash a bit more.

I'm looking forward to learning more about how it works as well, since the user manual for it is nearly useless.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Two things to consider...

It will not fire up if a) the outside temperature is above 4C, and/or b) your fuel tank is below 25% full.

When on timer and vehicle is not running, it will always turn off after a preset amount of time to preserve the chassis battery charge state.

Last edited:

FINNDIAN

Two things to consider...

It will not fire up if a) the outside temperature is above 4C, and/or b) your fuel tank is below 25% full.

When on timer and vehicle is not running, it will always turn off after a preset amount of time to preserve the chassis battery charge state.
Yes. I noticed those things.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Yes. I noticed those things.

Since it is heating the engine coolant, it will turn off when it senses that the engine is able to maintain its needed or optimal running temperature.

GlennR

2016 4x4 170
I have a 2016 with an engine heater, but don't seem to have a timer on mine. Is it an obvious thing, or is it hidden in the computer modes?

Mine probably doesn't have the timer function, but figured I should ask. I assume mine is just intended for producing heat from the vents ASAP after starting the engine?

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
It's designed to warm the engine enough to start well when it's cold. So, the run-time on pre-heat is based on ambient temp. Sometimes as low as 20 minutes if it's warmer (relatively speaking) or as long as an hour. If your Espar is running when you start the engine, it'll go into boost mode. Only difference here is the electric coolant pump shuts off since the engine is now cycling coolant.

When in boost mode, it'll run indefinitely unless your coolant hits 180-something degrees. Then it'll shut off. Otherwise, it'll cycle between low and high if you're coolant temps are less than 180-something.

The ambient temp has to be below 39 degrees F, or that also cuts it out in either mode.

The alarm clack mode or timer mode comes up on the dash when you push up on the pre-heat switch.

sailquik

GlennR,
Do you still have the dealers window sticker for your 2016 Sprinter?
Do you have the OEM Build Data Card for your Sprinter.
Which Option code leads you to think you have an optional engine heater?
Do you see an ESPAR type diesel fueled heater (or the ESPAR Exhaust Pipe) under the front
of your Sprinter somewhere.
Could you be talking about the auxiliary warm air heater (Option Code HH2 Electrically powered hot-air auxiliary heater)?
The HH2 Option is not an engine heater.....it's an electric heating coil in the heater duct that comes on shortly after
you start your Sprinter on cold days and the hot heating coil puts a little heat into the entire heat duct system to warm up the
air flowing into your dashboard from outside until the engine coolant temperature increases enough to add heat from
the heater core/heat exchanger in the heater system.
AFAIK there is no "control" for the HH2 Electrically powered hot-air auxiliary heater.
It very nice on a cold day to have a little heat before the engine comes up to temperature.
Roger

Last edited:

FINNDIAN

Thanks. So the low and high I definitely hear. Can't say I've ever had it shut off on its own. Ran for about 2 hours today while highway driving at -26c.
I added a cold front today. We'll see if that helps it attain temperature and shut off.

FINNDIAN

GlennR,
Do you see an ESPAR type diesel fueled heater (or the ESPAR Exhaust Pipe) under the front
Could you be talking about the auxiliary warm air heater (Option Code HH2 Electrically powered hot-air auxiliary heater)?
The HH2 Option is not an engine heater.....it's an electric heating coil in the heater duct that comes on shortly after
you start your Sprinter on cold days and the hot heating coil puts a little heat into the entire heat duct system to warm up the
air flowing into your dashboard from outside until the engine coolant temperature increases enough to add heat from
AFAIK there is no "control" for the HH2 Electrically powered hot-air auxiliary heater.
It very nice on a cold day to have a little heat before the engine comes up to temperature.
Roger
Don't know what you have but that's different from my heater.

GlennR

2016 4x4 170
GlennR,
Roger
I do have the ESPAR heater under the floor near the driver seat.

My build sheet says CO8 - Cold Weather Package , HH2 - Heater Aux-Electric Hot Air, HZ9- Fuel Fired Heater Booster

I guess the HZ9 is the ESPAR heater? I don't know if it has a timer, or if it can be run without the engine running. I do know that I get heat from the vents within 30 seconds of starting the engine, but that's probably from the HH2 electric hot air.

How does the ESPAR work? How do I turn it on and/or test it? :thinking:

thanks,

edit:
I figured out that what I have is just the "heater booster". It is fuel fired, but only helps heat the engine up quicker when it's running.

Sorry for the interruption.

Last edited:

dirkca

Mine works like this (2017, 6 cylinder):

When engine off:
press rocker switch up --> red light comes on
press rocker switch down --> starts the heater, will run up to an hour

When engine on:
press rocker switch down -->will start the heater and keep running for hours
turn engine off while heater was running --> heater will start automatically when engine starts again

Top Bottom