what to take along on the road

yellowmike

Maybe this has been covered before if so I'm sorry for the repeat but what extra parts do you keep with you when you go on a road trip? Fuel & oil filter, etc. I'm trying to put together a kit for my next winter getaway and would like some suggestions. Thanks...

Maybe this has been covered before if so I'm sorry for the repeat but what extra parts do you keep with you when you go on a road trip? Fuel & oil filter, etc. I'm trying to put together a kit for my next winter getaway and would like some suggestions. Thanks...
It has been covered before, but I didn't find it. Off the top of my pointy little head for a T1N.

Take along parts

Money/credit cards
Engine oil
Transmission fluid
GO-5 coolant
Fuel filter and the tools to change it.
Serpentine belt
Turbo resonator (2004-2006) Tools also, (1/4" 12 point wrench is important)
Electrical tape
Baling wire
Duct tape
Worm drive hose clamps to chain together as a clamp for temporary repairs.
2 part epoxy sticks (JB Weld?)
Permatex Ultra-Blue sealant
Black cable ties
8 ft. heater hose, brass joiner/clamps (for jumping out heater core, etc.)
Scan unit
VOM
4 way lug wrench
Wood blocks
Idler pulley (may be overkill)

Hope this does some good. AP

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
It has been covered before, but I didn't find it. Off the top of my pointy little head for a T1N.

Take along parts
VOM
What's VOM?

This is from Doktor A

--- In yahoogroup, "abittenbinder" <abittenbinder@...> wrote:
>
> --- In yahoogroup "inquiringami" <inquiringami@>
> wrote:
> > We have an 05 Sprinter and wonder what spare parts and tools are needed
> > for an extended trip to Mexico. There was some reference to this made
> > by "attenbinder" in another answer on the chat line, but no details.
> > We would welcome suggestions.
>
> My trailing support vehicle (or duffle bag -if budget is tight) would
> contain misc. spare bulbs, misc. spare fuses, digital multimeter,
> spool of automotive 18gage wire, several test leads w/alligator clip
> ends, generic wire splice connectors, can of fix a flat, 12V air
> compressor, spare accessory drive belt, spare fuel filter, spare oil
> filter cartridge, spare intake temp. sensor, spare MAF sensor, spare
> EGR valve(optional for '05?), spare trans. sump gasket, spare lug
> bolt, spare bottle(s) of Sprinter ATF, spare bottle of approved power
> steering fluid, bottle of coolant, MBenz ATF service dipstick, extra
> oil fill cap, extra ATF cap, complete assortment of torx sockets and
> bits, misc. metric tools, good quality tire gauge, service manual CD,
> list of MBenz service centers and phone numbers of key- US based
> Sprinter personnel, code reading scan tool and finally-space
> permitting-your wife. Before leaving-complete service w/new air filter
> and cabin pollen filter, complete scan of any stored codes, check of
> ALL fluids, A/C charge, etc. Andy
>

This is from Zach Woods
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=677

-Jon

Last edited:

cajundjb

What's VOM?

This is from Doktor A

--- In yahoogroup, "abittenbinder" <abittenbinder@...> wrote:
>
> --- In yahoogroup "inquiringami" <inquiringami@>
> wrote:
> > We have an 05 Sprinter and wonder what spare parts and tools are needed
> > for an extended trip to Mexico. There was some reference to this made
> > by "attenbinder" in another answer on the chat line, but no details.
> > We would welcome suggestions.
>
> My trailing support vehicle (or duffle bag -if budget is tight) would
> contain misc. spare bulbs, misc. spare fuses, digital multimeter,
> spool of automotive 18gage wire, several test leads w/alligator clip
> ends, generic wire splice connectors, can of fix a flat, 12V air
> compressor, spare accessory drive belt, spare fuel filter, spare oil
> filter cartridge, spare intake temp. sensor, spare MAF sensor, spare
> EGR valve(optional for '05?), spare trans. sump gasket, spare lug
> bolt, spare bottle(s) of Sprinter ATF, spare bottle of approved power
> steering fluid, bottle of coolant, MBenz ATF service dipstick, extra
> oil fill cap, extra ATF cap, complete assortment of torx sockets and
> bits, misc. metric tools, good quality tire gauge, service manual CD,
> list of MBenz service centers and phone numbers of key- US based
> Sprinter personnel, code reading scan tool and finally-space
> permitting-your wife. Before leaving-complete service w/new air filter
> and cabin pollen filter, complete scan of any stored codes, check of
> ALL fluids, A/C charge, etc. Andy
>

This is from Zach Woods
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=677

-Jon
Volt ohm meter? :thinking: (= multimeter)

Last edited:

312 diesel (closed)

Nothing, only a spare wheel, winsdscreen washer fluid and oil. Other than that I have a credit card, legally required warning triangle, first aid kit, high vis jacket and a bulb kit.

I carry some tools. In my opinion its pointless carrying stuff like belts, if they're bad enough that you need to carry a spare then the new one should be fitted to the vehicle, not floating around inside it.

I safety check the vehicle before every trip, oil leaks, exhaust mounts, springs wheel bearings, tyres etc. Reliability isn't about carrying lots of junk around, its about high quality maintenance.

surlyoldbill

Properly maintained vehicles that have less than 100k miles shouldn't "need" a bunch of replacement parts taken along. after several years and 100k, parts that have not been replaced and are KNOWN issues with Sprinters should be taken, and you should know how to replace them or take the shop manual along. Here on the West Coast, road trips may be 2500 miles or more.

//snip//Reliability isn't about carrying lots of junk around, its about high quality maintenance.
Maybe, but it sure is frustrating to just need some small part to get back on the road and not be able to find it at 3:00 a.m. or on a Sunday. My spare serpentine belt is the one I removed/replaced as part of normal maintenance. It's not like I can't afford the weight or space that the spare parts list which I suggested takes up. I think Sprinter parts and service may be a bit more common across the pond than here in the US of A. Then again, what do I know? AP

Last edited:

surlyoldbill

I was going to be towed 125 miles to Salt Lake City. I'd like an excuse to poke around old-town, but the Sprinter shop was probably in some strip-mall filled outskirts hell.

stp57

Here in Texas, tire retread pieces on the road can do a number on your vehicle, not to mention the drive belt. Better safe than sorry.
Steve

Nothing, only a spare wheel, winsdscreen washer fluid and oil. Other than that I have a credit card, legally required warning triangle, first aid kit, high vis jacket and a bulb kit.

I carry some tools. In my opinion its pointless carrying stuff like belts, if they're bad enough that you need to carry a spare then the new one should be fitted to the vehicle, not floating around inside it.

I safety check the vehicle before every trip, oil leaks, exhaust mounts, springs wheel bearings, tyres etc. Reliability isn't about carrying lots of junk around, its about high quality maintenance.

312 diesel (closed)

Here in Texas, tire retread pieces on the road can do a number on your vehicle, not to mention the drive belt. Better safe than sorry.
Steve
Which is why they're supposed to run undertrays, which mostly never get put back.

There's nothing magic about 100K miles or any other mileage. Belts for instance generally don't just fail, they get old and crack, or the alternator bearings start to go or the idler pulleys start to fail. So check them, do they run nice and free? are they straight? Are there odd noises?

Generally vehicles will give lots of warning before they actually break completely. The problem is that the majority of people ignore all the warning signs and blithely keep going. All I'm saying is that it is far more important to do that than carry parts. If your Sprinter eats, for instance, serpentine belts at the rate of knots figure out why it does so.

Why on earth carry stuff like oil filters? it's not a wearing part and you stand a good chance of getting dust in them when they're floating around loose. One list contaimns a sump gasket. Why? It isn't a wearing part it isn't known to fail and I suggest that taking the sump off by the side of the road is a poor idea.

As to "here on the West Coast, road trips may be 2500 miles or more" have a look at Simon's UK to Vienna trip in 48 hours thread, that's 2500 miles right there.

I stand by my original post: get to know the noises the vehicle makes, check it carefully, iron out the foibles, regularly check visually and it will be reliable.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
312 we do have a major difference between a Mercedes Sprinter and a NAFTA Sprinter, they are known to fail the minute they come off the lot, or ten miles down the road.
It am amuses me just what the guys do carry, but they use them, especially fuel filters egr valves and resonators the latter two Mercedes dumped a decade or so back.
I can go anywhere with out failure, bad luck well ring the R.A.CI do carry a can of tire fix but heck an eight ply tire getting a flat is just too rare.
Arr you forgot a ball of string:smilewink:
Richard

312 diesel (closed)

312 we do have a major difference between a Mercedes Sprinter and a NAFTA Sprinter, they are known to fail the minute they come off the lot, or ten miles down the road.
It am amuses me just what the guys do carry, but they use them, especially fuel filters egr valves and resonators the latter two Mercedes dumped a decade or so back.
I can go anywhere with out failure, bad luck well ring the R.A.CI do carry a can of tire fix but heck an eight ply tire getting a flat is just too rare.
Arr you forgot a ball of string:smilewink:
Richard
In that case perhaps rather than carrying spares they ought to take along a European to do the driving for them:lol:

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
I stand by my original post: get to know the noises the vehicle makes, check it carefully, iron out the foibles, regularly check visually and it will be reliable.
Couldn't agree more. Actually I can better that trip mileage too - I just did this:

UK to Bucharest (Romania), then to Vienna (Austria), then to Nieppe (France) then to Budapest (Hungary), then back home.

Over 5,000 miles in ten days.

Roads pretty rough in Romania, no tarmac in places, just graded stone. Had a puncture, found out yesterday tyre was actually punctured in four places, so maybe I ran over something. Ground my axles a couple of times because the ruts were so deep - pretty nerve racking, kept getting out to check I wasn't about to rip the bottom of my gearbox / lines off. Made it through fine thankfully. Packs of wild dogs running amok (lots of roadkill), being overtaken by trucks whilst doing 70mph, crater sized pot holes, level crossings without any lights or barriers and rails that lift right up off the ground when driven over. Romania: not for the faint hearted.

Spares on board? Vac transducer, boost pressure sensor, oil (I added half a litre), some bulbs. That's it, apart from jump leads, gaffer tape, cable ties and a decent tool kit.

You are very unlikely to get stranded in a Sprinter. I think it's only happened to me twice in nine years and 800,000kms in this T1N, and never in seven years and 650,000kms in my previous T1.

Last edited:

d_bertko

Our laptop holds the service manual and untold numbers of DIY Sprinter maintenance files. Also keep similar pdfs on the Prosine, Honda eu2000i, Pioneer stereo, etc.

Saved considerable trouble on a pouring rain Sun in the WV mountains beyond cell service when I was a noobie and had to drain the fuel filter the first time. Nice to diagnose and rehearse it with pix and hints over some hot coffee before opening the hood.

My 158" diy rv has passenger plates and a AAA+ card got me a 40 mile tow for no charge when I thought I'd lost a wheel bearing. AAA has been good to me over the years but I figure I'm on the borderline for size. Always tip the tow drivers!

312 diesel (closed)

Nice trip! Do you sleep in your van or hotels?

I'm going stir crazy but I should get to Sweden in the next week or so.

Couldn't agree more. Actually I can better that trip mileage too - I just did this:

UK to Bucharest (Romania), then to Vienna (Austria), then to Nieppe (France) then to Budapest (Hungary), then back home.

Over 5,000 miles in ten days.

Roads pretty rough in Romania, no tarmac in places, just graded stone. Had a puncture, found out yesterday tyre was actually punctured in four places, so maybe I ran over something. Ground my axles a couple of times because the ruts were so deep - pretty nerve racking, kept getting out to check I wasn't about to rip the bottom of my gearbox / lines off. Made it through fine thankfully. Packs of wild dogs running amok (lots of roadkill), being overtaken by trucks whilst doing 70mph, crater sized pot holes, level crossings without any lights or barriers and rails that lift right up off the ground when driven over. Romania: not for the faint hearted.

Spares on board? Vac transducer, boost pressure sensor, oil (I added half a litre), some bulbs. That's it, apart from jump leads, gaffer tape, cable ties and a decent tool kit.

You are very unlikely to get stranded in a Sprinter. I think it's only happened to me twice in nine years and 800,000kms in this T1N, and never in seven years and 650,000kms in my previous T1.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
.... I do carry a can of tire fix but heck an eight ply tire getting a flat is just too rare.

Richard
There's a grass that dries tough as nails and sharp as needles, isn't there?

Triodya or spinifecks? I can't remember now.... anyway, I was told that stuff was so nasty it could shred the best tyres money can buy..... and you've never run into it?

Was that just another rumor started by the Australian Protectionist and AntiTourism Ministry (and don't tell me the AP/AM doesn't exist. I know it does. My cousin's stepfather's nephew's dog was purchased from a guy whose uncle's next door neighbor's sister's son interviewed for a job them)?

-Jon

Top Bottom