Steering wheel controls

Derfuk

I currently don't have steering wheel buttons and wondered if all sprinters are pre wired the same so if I put a wheel in with buttons in it if they would work or if I need to add the wiring for it as well.

D

Deleted member 50714

No, not prewired and don't bother, another newfangled electronic gadget not used often.

boltman

I added steering wheel controls to my 2008 Sprinter without steering wheel controls. I got an airbag from eBay with the controls. The wiring is there and the buttons put out messages on the interior CanBus. There isn't anything listening for those messages since I have the basic instrument panel. I used a Maestro iDatalink attached to the CanBus to convert the button presses to control a Pioneer head unit.

boltman

Correction... I used a "Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface" to interface between the CanBus and my aftermarket head unit.

danski0224

There is a poster "Sprinter man Sam" that claims that the high line instrument cluster and steering wheel buttons are "plug and play" as far as the wiring is concerned.

Somehow, he got it coded and operational at a Mercedes dealership.

Probably important that he is not located in the USA.

Not really sure how he pulled it off.

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
The use of the Controller Area Network (CAN) bus in vehicles makes it possible to have multiple devices in a vehicle communicate over a single pair of wires, the same as how an Ethernet Local Area Network (LAN) or Wi-Fi LAN permits a bunch of computers to communicate over a shared medium. If a manufacturer uses a CAN bus network for controllers and controlled devices, retrofitting controls may be simpler since it only requires access to the CAN bus rather than individual control wires. (Trivia: CAN bus is used for more than vehicles, including industrial automation. The high-school level FIRST Robotics Competition makes use of the CAN bus to interconnect the robot controller (National Instruments RoboRio) with sensors and controllers.)

I have the multi-function wheel in my van, along with the pixel display in the instrument panel. I like being able to check things like tire pressure, DEF level, water temperature, fuel mileage, etc. while driving. It's particularly handy to see how outside temperature and/or driving conditions have affected the tire pressure. It also makes answering the phone or making phone calls to frequently-used numbers a lot easier. I don't use it to control the radio/music playback very often.

It would be interesting to know (intellectual curiosity) how much of that could be retro-fitted if not ordered as a factory option, but at a minimum it would require the display in the instrument panel as well as the steering wheel controls to make it work, I think.

SOCAL2015

I have been wondering this as well. I hate the fact that my van does not have the multifunction steering wheel and display. DEF levels and other functions would be very helpful, heck, just answering a phone call or changing radio channels without having to reach way over would be great. Considering it was really a small price difference from the factory, they should have come standard on all vans. I have been thinking on trying to duplicate what "Sprinter Man Sam" did but getting the dealer to program the new instrument cluster with the correct miles, etc., is probably a no go in the US. My dealer said no.

pfflyer

My 2013 crew has the steering wheel buttons and my 2015 class c does not. When driving the motorhome I wish I had a dollar every time I tried to adjust the volume with non-existent buttons. If anyone does it in the states let us know how easy it was and what kind of cost.

brassmonkey001

UK 2008 NCV3 518 CDI
I have been wondering this as well. I hate the fact that my van does not have the multifunction steering wheel and display. DEF levels and other functions would be very helpful, heck, just answering a phone call or changing radio channels without having to reach way over would be great. Considering it was really a small price difference from the factory, they should have come standard on all vans. I have been thinking on trying to duplicate what "Sprinter Man Sam" did but getting the dealer to program the new instrument cluster with the correct miles, etc., is probably a no go in the US. My dealer said no.
I hate that there's no temperature gauge! The only way I can tell how warm the engine is is by switching the blower on!

TrackSprinter

2016 Motovan Boondocker
So to confirm, when replacing no-button-steering wheel with a wheel that has buttons, do you have to perform a dealer programming to activate the newly installed feature?

Or will the buttons perform immediately after replacement?

Bob Laps

This isn't a Porsche forum but I hope u feel better letting us know u have one

Last edited:

brassmonkey001

UK 2008 NCV3 518 CDI
I added steering wheel controls to my 2008 Sprinter without steering wheel controls. I got an airbag from eBay with the controls. The wiring is there and the buttons put out messages on the interior CanBus. There isn't anything listening for those messages since I have the basic instrument panel. I used a Maestro iDatalink attached to the CanBus to convert the button presses to control a Pioneer head unit.
What stereo was fitted originally? I.e. from factory?

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

gwc

So to confirm, when replacing no-button-steering wheel with a wheel that has buttons, do you have to perform a dealer programming to activate the newly installed feature?

Or will the buttons perform immediately after replacement?
Dealer programs it,actually a download form Germany believe it or not,had it done twice.

Top Bottom