Serpentine Belt Idler Pulley - Failure and Bolt Part Number Help

ncos

This weekend in the middle of replacing my alternator with the Bosch 150A drop in (thanks for the tip), I found the pulley above was sheared in two and had only been held on by virtue of the belt being ribbed and under tension. It's a very clean break. Pic Below:

Question 1: Does that failure mechanism suggest the failure is a symptom of some larger underlying issue I should address?

Question 2: What is the part number for the fastener that attaches the pulley? And better yet, where can I buy it.

We installed an aftermarket idler (it was Sunday and we were left to Autozone). I plan to replace the belt and pulley with a kit from europarts-sd. But their kit doesn’t seem to come with the fastener. The existing fastener was a bear to loosen, and got a little chewed up. I’d feel a lot more comfortable if I could replace it.

ID parts sells a kit that includes the fasteners, but I don’t know if they are a trusted source (whereas europarts seems to be a go-to).

https://www.idparts.com/serpentine-belt-kit-t1n-om647-p-7448.html

This is a 2006 Sprinter 2500

Last edited:

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
Sometimes a MB dealer is the place to go. They will use your VIN to get exactly the part you need. Doesn’t matter if you are Dodge or Freightliner the parts guys use the VIN to find what u need. My local MB dealer has me on file, so I call, they look up and order, usually the part is a day away, so it is most efficient to call and order then pick up next day or whatever.
p.s. I am surprised to find myself recommending going to a “Stealership” but my experience with Sprinter aftermarket has not been that good, and while more expensive, the parts aren’t crazy inflated (although certain items are and you should not get them at a MB dealer, eg Espar)
My experiences with Dodge dealers has been very poor, like really poor, pathetic actually.
p.p.s. The forum with all the parts manuals etc is here,
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104
with that you can look up part numbers and x reference between MB and Dodge to get brand specific part #s

Last edited:
B

billintomahawk

ID parts can be trusted. I got everything from them, they supplied INA for the pulleys and a Litens tensioner, this is what Benz uses. I got a belt, a water pump etc. everything to MB spec.

They are fast and cheap shipping. They will get you MB parts at a discount as well.

Call them.

bill in tomahawk

Top Bottom