Fuel filter hose clamps, does anyone reuse the factory quick clamps?

My 2016 has just shy of 200,000 miles, to the best of my knowledge only dealer serviced. When I went to replace the fuel filter it still had factory style clamps and I wondered it it was original, looks like overy 8000 gallons of fuel used so far.

mikeme

2015 LTV IB: 2015 3500 V6
The clik clamps are reuseable. a proper tool helps.

MB also sells replacement part clamps which match the original.

I would think it possible to put 8000 gallons of clean fuel through the filter, but the actual amount is not limited to the volume burned.

fuel is passed back to the fuel tank, so that the total passed through the filter is likely quite a bit more.

I figure once it has been through the filter once it is clean, you aren't adding more particulate once it is in the tank.

The quick clamps are used at the factory for financial reasons, they are less expensive due to fewer parts and faster to put on.

I figure once it has been through the filter once it is clean, you aren't adding more particulate once it is in the tank.

The quick clamps are used at the factory for financial reasons, they are less expensive due to fewer parts and faster to put on.
Faster and cheaper is always a good answer for why particular parts are used in a factory assembly line. For the click type fuel hose clamps it can also be argued that when proper sizes are selected/installed, the clamping pressure is more repeatable with click type vs screw type clamps.

The CDI fuel return system does circulate the fuel around which could be considered a type of polishing. I agree that once the fuel is in the tank it doesn't get worse, with the possible exception that injection system wear parts could add some contamination.

:2cents: vic

boatworksjon

I use this style of clamp in the marine engine repair field. They are quick and easy to install and it also prevents the customers from tampering with them which is important for warranty comebacks. They are designed to be used one time and one time only.If you reuse these clamps you run the risk of a leak and then a thermal event (fire). They are only a couple of bucks each is it really worth it? https://players.brightcove.net/pages/v1/index.html?accountId=4684385787001&playerId=BJPCwzvcl&videoId=5346576062001

Last edited:

srt4ny

I bought my van new been replacing the fuel filter every 20k still on original hose clamps after 260k

mikeme

2015 LTV IB: 2015 3500 V6
it should be noted that earlier model years used different clamps, and the MB documents said to always replace the hose clamps.

more recent documents indicate these clamps are allowed to be reused.

Jeff Bezos says he can have the tool here Wednesday morning, that's awful nice of him given I'm 13 miles past BFE, turn left, 2 miles down the dirt road.

Cvollmar

I have the pliers used them once. I found a regular pair of pliers actually worked better. We just about always reuse the clamps have never had one leak .

Top Bottom