Under-hood jump points for 12V accessory?

brownvan

2017 4X4 HR 144"
Quic kquestion:
Can you use the underhood jump-points (which are attached to the starter battery) for running
a 12V accessory - for example an air compressor? Can you pull off these points or are they diode-protected?
See photo below:
Thanks

Attachments

autostaretx

Erratic Member
They are not diode protected (that would be a hefty diode), but they're also not *fuse* protected.
(if you care)

--dick

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Is that thing really not fuse-protected? That is pretty un-German.

Many vehicles have sacrificial devices to protect the vehicle from a reverse-polarity jump-start. Not true of the Sprinter?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
No fuse ...

From the MB wiring diagrams:

StarterCircuit.png

Note that the in-line 300 amp fuse to the generator IS shown...

It's quite possible that the flat metal bar in a PDC fuse position is the feed to the starter ... so it might eventually melt ....
(the owner's manual calls that position "seat box components power feed bridged jumper")

But it's more likely (thicker wire) the red wire bolted to the edge of the PDC in this shot:

--dick

Last edited:

Yellow518

2008 NCV3/OM642 518cdi
Can you use the underhood jump-points (which are attached to the starter battery) for running
a 12V accessory - for example an air compressor? Can you pull off these points or are they diode-protected?
I've always run my tyre compressor off this. No issues so far.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Consider that if you have an accessory (such as a tire inflator or battery charger) that uses crocodile clips to battery posts, you creating an "unfused" connection.

So i wouldn't hesitate to use the jump post for such things (especially if you'll be nearby to deal with "incidents")

--dick

brownvan

2017 4X4 HR 144"
Consider that if you have an accessory (such as a tire inflator or battery charger) that uses crocodile clips to battery posts, you creating an "unfused" connection.

So i wouldn't hesitate to use the jump post for such things (especially if you'll be nearby to deal with "incidents")

--dick
Thanks for your assistance

Westham

--dick
Are you saying a battery trickle charger/monitor should not be attached to these points under the hood?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Are you saying a battery trickle charger/monitor should not be attached to these points under the hood?
No.

I was discussing a *load* (such as a tire inflator), not a charging device.

However, the "it's not fused" still applies.

(We also could move into the philosophical realm of "what i might recommend versus what i might actually do" coupled with "how well does the recommendee understand the operations and consequences of what they're thinking of attaching?"

Personally, i've only used a barely adequate solar-powered battery maintainer. They're so whimpy there's no way they could hurt the Sprinter, and (since i use the 12v socket on the dash) there's a 15 amp fuse in the socket's circuit so that even a "catastrophic failure" of the solar device would be handled "gracefully". In the winter i don't even use that.

What i do for my T1N (which can easily take over 2 months of unattended "sitting there") is go out every month or so (weather permitting) and attach a "real" 4-stage charger to bring the battery up to "full". MB recommends disconnecting both ends of the battery from the Sprinter when charging. I don't do that. I *do* however, visit the Sprinter every half hour or so to see how it's doing. The T1N does not have the easy "negative disconnect" that the NCV3 has.

Mitigating *my* choices is that i street-park, so running 110vac out there as a permanent fixture isn't available. Now that i have 200 watts of solar on the roof, i *could* add a Trik-L-Start kind of device, but i'm not bothering to. A monthly charge or 1 hour errand is more than enough to keep it happy.

--dick

Top Bottom