Transmission not shifting

reiemttok

I have a 2011 and experiencing transmission not wanting to shift. I can manually shift when this happens. Any ideas. Almost like a limp mode.

sailquik

reiemttok,
Is this when the engine and transmission are "cold soaked" (i.e. first start in the morning) or all the time?
If it was in full "limp home mode" I don't think you could engage anything but 2nd gear.
When was the last time you checked the transmission fluid level, and are you certain that the transmission has
the correct fluid in it?
Roger

Coppercoat

My 2016 has a problem shifting into 3rd. gear when first driven, it will not shift out of 3rd. until it reaches 3,200 RPM's. It also has not shifted out of first gear 3 times. It will rev to the redline and not shift, when you back off and then accelerate again it still won't shift until you stop shut it down for a bit and then start again. I have had it into a dealer 3 times for this and they say they get NO CODES when testing. My Sprinter just passed 20,000 miles and is under warranty. It is going back in again tomorrow for another check on the problem. Any thoughts?

reiemttok

reiemttok,
Is this when the engine and transmission are "cold soaked" (i.e. first start in the morning) or all the time?
If it was in full "limp home mode" I don't think you could engage anything but 2nd gear.
When was the last time you checked the transmission fluid level, and are you certain that the transmission has
the correct fluid in it?
Roger
I just bought this sprinter. Not sure of fluid type or level. It has been cold.

Doctor Handyman

I had this happen two days ago. Cold morning in SoCal, 42 degrees, drove 1/4 mile, felt like limp home mode. Engine lugged and transmission skipped like it had a worn clutch plate. 2014 with 47k miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a 2016 that sounds like it does something similar. If it’s cold and I am driving in a residential area, meaning I am pretty light on the gas pedal, 3rd
Gear seems to hang around forever until it shifts. Usually to about 3,200 rpms.

If i start cold and accelerate faster like getting on a freeway, it seems like it is shifting on rhythm, but I think it still makes it up to around 3200 rpms before shifting.

I guess I thought it was because the speed I travel at around town was right at a speed where the transmission shifts so it is having a hard time deciding where it should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
Keep in mind that these transmissions will hang in lower gears when they're cold, to aid in warming up the engine & fluids. "Late" shifting is somewhat exasperating but entirely normal when temps are low and the Sprinter has just been started.

Are the shifting problems persistent once it gets warmed up? (That's a different story.)

Moto Vita

I have a 2011 and experiencing transmission not wanting to shift. I can manually shift when this happens. Any ideas. Almost like a limp mode.
Is the difficulty shifting up, or down, or both? If it's up, as people seem to be assuming, how do you manually force an up shift?

odix@yahoo.com

Sprinter fan
irving summed it up. It's normal behavior with a cold engine. My 2016 I4, when cold, exhibits the exact same scenario that Minnesconsin Sprinter and reiemttok note.

I follow the start-up procedures (ignite after glow plug light is off), wait a few seconds, then take off at an mellow pace for 1.5 to 2 miles (~30 to 40 mph). By the time I'm on the freeway it shifts normally. That said, even when initially on the freeway I take it easy. I do not push it until the engine is at normal operating temps (Scan Gauge is helpful). Then I drive and accelerate normally keeping an eye on the LOD %.

Other folks have different methods.

reiemttok

It has been cold here in Missouri but after warming up nothing changes. It will not down shift and it will skip gears up. I saw on T1N forum someone had same issue. He said he found the fuel shutoff solenoid to be the problem. He stated he just pushed the sensor tight like it had come loose. I don't know where that is. Obviously I'm new to the Sprinter.

reiemttok

Keep in mind that these transmissions will hang in lower gears when they're cold, to aid in warming up the engine & fluids. "Late" shifting is somewhat exasperating but entirely normal when temps are low and the Sprinter has just been started.

Are the shifting problems persistent once it gets warmed up? (That's a different story.)
These problems do stay when warmed up. It skips gears when up shifting and will not down shift when needed.

flman

You probably need to pull the valve body and clean the solenoids per DrA. Our T1N did the same thing, and cleaning the solenoids solved all our problems.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I thought I’d add an update. I made a point of paying close attention to shifting yesterday. When I started my cold engine and drove 3rd gear hung around til 3,200 rpms or so. By the time I hit my second light the shifting was perfect. I assume it’s normal activity and the higher rpms are designed to get the tranny up to temp.

If it is still doing it after warmed up that might be a problem.

flman

It has been cold here in Missouri but after warming up nothing changes. It will not down shift and it will skip gears up. I saw on T1N forum someone had same issue. He said he found the fuel shutoff solenoid to be the problem. He stated he just pushed the sensor tight like it had come loose. I don't know where that is. Obviously I'm new to the Sprinter.
I thought I’d add an update. I made a point of paying close attention to shifting yesterday. When I started my cold engine and drove 3rd gear hung around til 3,200 rpms or so. By the time I hit my second light the shifting was perfect. I assume it’s normal activity and the higher rpms are designed to get the tranny up to temp.

If it is still doing it after warmed up that might be a problem.

Yeah, those NCV3s like to rev when cold, but not the case for the OP.

Top Bottom