New owner: Looking for advice on new engine.

Sprinter.Monty

I recently became a new owner of a 2008 Dodge sprinter 2500 (3.0). I got a good deal on the van since it had pretty bad rod knock and after dropping the oil pan today there are pretty big metal chunks in it. But I bought it expecting to put a new engine. My question is where or from who you recommend to buy a rebuilt engine or used engine. Im a military man so I have access to the auto hobby shop on base where I plan to do the swap myself with access to tools. Any tips or recommendations when looking at engines or other additional parts I should get to do the swap would greatly be appreciated.

BTW- original motor has 80k miles

Last edited:

Sprinter SS

Monty,

I think that is factory rebuilt but still great warranty.

That's a shame about your engine, such low miles. Someone run it low on oil or never change it?

If the van is in good condition I would do the new motor.

dnshaf

Hi Monty,

Be sure to shop around! I had a factory reman engine installed in my Sprinter complete for $8,300 and it only took 1 day at McCoy Freightliner in Portland OR. They only work on Sprinters. I Highly recommend them! I now have 105k on that engine and no problems. I had quotes as high as 17k. Yes it a 4 cyl but I would think the 08 V6 would be less!

Attachments

Last edited:

manwithgun

Unknown member
We also only use Sprinter Reman engines. Never had a problem and we have changed a lot of them.
Does this mean that you (and/or others) are ordering directly from Mercedes? And does that price include all peripheral components as in the "crate" picture? From there, it looks as if you just plug the cord into the ECM and turn the key. A bargain if you don't have to swap (or pay someone to) all of the vital components. Injectors too? Either way, a reasonable price, even though it would probably require some adaptation upon install.

dnshaf

Does this mean that you (and/or others) are ordering directly from Mercedes? And does that price include all peripheral components as in the "crate" picture? From there, it looks as if you just plug the cord into the ECM and turn the key. A bargain if you don't have to swap (or pay someone to) all of the vital components. Injectors too? Either way, a reasonable price, even though it would probably require some adaptation upon install.
The engine came from the Mercedes warehouse in Fontana, CA and it came with everything except belt driven components. Even had a new Turbo! and yes injectors, fuel rail, fuel pump, egr and flap valve, with cooler the whole works! The engine was $6,600 roughly and then the labour as well as freon and evaporator for the ac, coolant, oil ect. It did not come with a new starter though.

Dan

Cvollmar

Yes we order directly from Mercedes and comes just as Dan said pretty much ready to go. Injectors need to be taught in. Injector codes are on a label on top of the oil filter housing.

Top Bottom