No power in the morning

tmiron

Hey guys,

The last few mornings in put the van in reverse and backed out of the driveway. When I put it in drive and hit the gas there is no power. I hold the brake and rev it a bit and then it acts normal and drives fine.

I’m thinking it is an air leak in the fuel line but before I chase gremlins I figured I’d see what others thought. It has been pretty cold where I am so that may have something to do with it.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmiron

I should mention that I added a diesel parking heater. I T-ed into the auxiliary heater fuel line. I figure if there was an air leak in that line it wouldn’t effect the engine though. I believe the engine has its own fuel line.

tmiron

I’m actually traveling across the country, but I experienced the problem several morning in Philadelphia and Roanoke

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
You may have a marginal fuel filter. How many miles on the filter?

Any sign of air in the clear lines? It is not unusual for the O rings and rubber hoses to shrink a bit when cold, which can create intermittent air leaks.

tmiron

Not quite sure. I bought the van used and I’ve only owned it about 3 months. How hard is it to change the fuel filter?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
On an 02-03 its not terrible, but you need to read the writeup, as there are a few gotchas with regards to air leaks, especially on cheap filters. Basically you disconnect three hoses, remove the filter (drivers side of engine compartment) and install the new one, and fill with fuel. Then crank for a minute until it primes and starts.

tmiron

Thanks! I’ll replace it soon. How many mile should you get out of one?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
It completely depends on the fuel quality. I would suggest no more than 40k miles. Some owners do the fuel filter every 20k miles.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
There was a recent thread with the same symptoms: start, back out, and then no power.
(i can't recall what (or if) the resolution was)

--dick
(but i also agree with Patrick's "transmission" diagnosis)

Last edited:

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
Fwiw sounds more like transmission to me.
(and I agree with Dave, could also be ASR/traction control blip/error).

The reason I don’t think it’s fuel, is it works in reverse then gets funky in drive, fuel would be funky in reverse as well.

Last edited:

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Fwiw sounds more like transmission to me.
Could be ASR related too if you have that option? A poor signal from the wheel speed sensors can confuse it into thinking a wheel is slipping, cutting power to manage “available” traction.
Great on ice; PITA as a malfunction.

-dave

Top Bottom