fuel filter / fuel water separater

nc3vseeker

so i'm wanting to get the fuel filter replace from a local mechanic and he is insisting that its its the same as the fuel water separator.

are they one and the same or 2 different components. I don't want to pay to replace something I don't need to.

Its a 2012 sprinter 2500 with about 115K miles.

Thump_rrr

so i'm wanting to get the fuel filter replace from a local mechanic and he is insisting that its its the same as the fuel water separator.

are they one and the same or 2 different components. I don't want to pay to replace something I don't need to.

Its a 2012 sprinter 2500 with about 115K miles.

On my 2014 and 2016 OM-651 they are one and the same.

D

Deleted member 50714

Well, I guess it couldn't be more confusing. This illustrates the importance of taking your Sprinter to a Mercedes-Benz service department or German repair facility specializing in Mercedes-Benz particularly Sprinters. Your local mechanic may not have access and able to keep abreast of all the cloud-based mercedes-Benz data.

Note: that's not a good practice to go by what has already been installed on the vehicle because it could be wrong.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Philip53

2021 2500 Sprinter 170, 4 cyl gas
That's a bit confusing. I surmise that if you have a late model (2016), and it requires a 5 pin filter, then there is only one filter that will fit it? As I am going to do a fuel filter change shortly, I need to be really careful. I have copied a couple of the texts here regarding changing the filter and replacing the turbo inlet seal as well. MB could have made this a little more DIY friendly, but then again, they EXPECT only MB trained mechanics to do this, and really don't care. Typical German engineering and consideration for the owner. As a previous BMW motorcycle dealer, I can attest to this wholeheartedly.

Top Bottom