Sliding passenger side door wont unlatch when it's cold

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
Wondering if this is common or if there is a thread about adjusting the latch release for the passenger side rear sliding/rolling door.

The temp was in the 20s yesterday and the door would not open from outside,....worked fine from inside.

Suggestions?

Brian in San Antonio

D

Deleted member 50714

I noticed your post has descended, unanswered, to page 2. I can't help, but allow me to give it a bump.

Good luck.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
There was a very recent (within a week?) thread on slider latch adjustment ... use Search

--dick (too rushed to search for you this time)

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Recent discussion is here:
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70805

Mine can also get stiff... I blame the rubber gasket getting firm, and the rear latch lubricant. My kids had broken one inside handle and bent the front latch tab several times before I figured out that my door was latching too firmly against the gasket, putting extra strain on the rear latch mechanism.
Spray cleaner then lube UP into the rear latch so the release slide (that latches the rotating element) moves freely.
Then adjust the rear edge to be about 1/16” proud of the body panel. Mine was then MUCH happier. No slamming it shut, no brute force on the handles to unlatch.

Then you can adjust the aluminum wedges at the front edge so the door is in just enough to seal out wind noise.

-dave

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The door is very sensitive to proper adjustment. Even 1/16 change in closing depth, and latch position can throw it off. The nice thing is that once you get it adjusted (and mark it!) it should be good for a very long time.

The temp was in the 20s yesterday and the door would not open from outside,....worked fine from inside.

Suggestions?

Was it rainy and wet before dropping into the 20F range? If yes, consider that the door seals may have frozen to the door.

I have learned to use silicone grease treatment on the door seals to help prevent sticking. (Silicone spray will work, I happen to have grease on hand.) The door needs to "pop" before it will open. If the door seal was slightly frozen and stuck the extra push from an inside open operation may have given it just the extra bit that it needed.

Just something to consider before mucking around and adjusting a door that was operating properly until just before a change of seasons.

:2cents: vic

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I will try the silicone spray on door seals first and see if that improves things on the next temp drop.

Brian in SATX

B

billintomahawk

Mine did that and I posted on it in several places on the threads.
I would go with a conspiracy theory, it's not just one thing, it's probably several.

Lube the latch and the lock, the latch/handle mechanism requires removing the lower door panel.

You will probably ruin the push pins when you pull them but no worries, reinstall panel with sheet metal panel screws from Ace hardware.
IMHO.

bill in tomahawk

Top Bottom