PDA

View Full Version : T21 Recall - Freightliner USA-ANYONE, ANYWHERE found a Knowledgeable dealer??

bcolins
11-16-2018, 02:39 PM
I see Vic started a new thread for T21 Recall Dealer Recommendation. T21 is the Dodge recall campaign name, Mercedes Benz calls it Campaign 2016040001.

Freightliner Sprinter customer service is answered by Mercedes customer service,...and that is where things get very cloudy for some,....as Mercedes dealers in Texas, Florida, New York and New Jersey can not perform recall or warranty work on Freightliner badged sprinters. This is a by product of some franchise law or agreement conflict I have been told.

My two closest Freightliner dealers (AUSTIN AND HOUSTON) have no experience with the T21 recall issues. and will only look at my van at my expense. I have emailed information from this forum about the recall related issues and had no response to it,.....phone calls and emails....the same,....no response.

Has anyone anywhere in the U.S. Found a Freightliner dealer who has had experience with the issues caused by this recall and that the fix for the constantly Cycling EGR valve and the Instrument panel failing to turn off with the key is replacement of the Instrument panel??

It is my hope that if I find a Freightliner dealer anywhere in the US who has experience with the T21 problem and the fix for it,...that I can request that they contact my Austin dealer for a consult. If/when this occurs, I will post up any positive Freightliner related info.

Please do not add info here about Dodge or Mercedes dealers .....They will not help those of us who own Freightliners and live in Texas, Florida, New York or New Jersey.

Brian in San Antonio

Added May 7, 2019:

Vic / All who own 2004 or 2005 T1N Sprinters badged as Freightliner

Dodge released a similar update last summer,....now posted at the beginning of the T21 Thread by Vic,.....

Mercedes had to eventually follow,....and here is the "Updated" document. Now mentions that some T1N Sprinters may require a replacement Instrument cluster in order to correct the post T21 (Dodge) / #2016040001 (Mercedes/Freightliner) recall issues (Constantly illuminated Instrument cluster back light and constantly running EGR)

Instrument cluster replacement is specifically mentioned on page 5.

Brian in SATX

Vic, I didn't know where the best place to post this would be. Feel free to move this wherever you think it should be and would get the most visibility.

Added:
POSSIBLE HELP FOR THOSE GETTING THE RUN AROUND IN CALIFORNIA.

Update re emissions recall (California DMV # 201632, Dodge # T21, Mercedes # 2016040001):

My vehicle is a 2004 Freightliner Sprinter 2500 (T1N), built as a motor home by Forest River. I live in the Los Angeles area. My annual notice to renew my registration noted a "manufacturer recall # 201632" and required "proof of correction" from a dealer before I could renew my license. This was the only notice I ever received about this recall.

I took my vehicle to Mercedes of Anaheim. They performed the software upgrade, following the procedure in the Mercedes Recall Campaign Bulletin, and gave me the "Proof of Correction" certificate. I was then able to license my vehicle with the California DMV.

Initially, all seemed fine, but after two brief driving outings, the problem symptoms appeared, as reported by other owners of model year 2004 Sprinters: When the engine was shut off, the Instrument Cluster light did not turn off and the EGR mechanism did not turn off. Also, the Check Engine Light appeared and stayed on as long as the engine was running.

I took my vehicle back to Mercedes of Anaheim and they performed the additional steps indicated in the Recall Bulletin, ending with the replacement of the Instrument Cluster. So far, the vehicle is performing properly, so I am optimistic this is the end of the troubles. This dealership should now be familiar enough with this problem to deal with additional Sprinter recalls in an efficient manner; my contact there is Michael Gonzales, mgonzalez@anaheimmercedes.com, phone 714.777.7446.

This process has been difficult, because Mercedes Benz USA has made it so: I was never contacted or informed about this recall by MBUSA, even though they clearly have my contact information in their system as the vehicle owner, which is obvious whenever I have taken the vehicle to a Mercedes dealer - they are able to view the entire history of my vehicle. I was never able to discuss the problems with the contact person to whom I was referred at MBUSA - my phone messages were never returned.

I was able to resolve this only after contacting my state government representative's office. They put me in contact with Jeffrey Wong at the California Air Resources Board, jwong@arb.ca.gov, phone 626.575.7009. He was able to arrange with MBUSA to have my vehicle "diagnosed" and repaired without charge. Initially, the dealers, presumable following instructions from MBUSA, wanted to charge me $200 to "diagnose" the problem, a problem with which MBUSA is clearly aware, and which does not require "diagnosis".

Aqua Puttana
11-16-2018, 04:16 PM
Please keep this thread on topic as to Freightliner dealerships or Freightliner specific comments.

There are two other threads for the recall which should be used for non Freightliner comments.

T21 Emissions Recall Notice
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57401

T21 Recall - Recommended Dealerships
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70872

vic

bcolins
11-18-2018, 02:21 PM
I was concerned that this might be the case. No replies. Bumping to get in back on the first page.

Brian

bcolins
11-20-2018, 03:17 PM
Anyone with a Freightliner been through this?

Aqua Puttana
11-20-2018, 03:23 PM
Anyone with a Freightliner been through this?
Maybe try some other Sprinter forums?

:cheers: vic

bcolins
11-20-2018, 05:35 PM
Maybe try some other Sprinter forums?

:cheers: vic

Didn't realize there were any. Suggestions?

Aqua Puttana
11-20-2018, 05:52 PM
Didn't realize there were any. Suggestions?
Off the top of my head the Yahoo group.
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3955

There must be some others. Maybe try a Freightliner forum?

vic

Cheyenne
11-20-2018, 07:38 PM
Freightliner Sprinter customer service is answered by Mercedes customer service,...and that is where things get very cloudy for some,....as Mercedes dealers in Texas, Florida, New York and New Jersey can not perform recall or warranty work on Freightliner badged sprinters. This is a by product of some franchise law or agreement conflict I have been told.

Brian in San Antonio

In which case you need to go back to Freightliner/Mercedes customer service and ask them, politely, WHERE you can get the recall performed.
AIUI they, Freightliner or Mercedes, are legally obliged to get your recall performed so ask them how THEY propose doing it?

Keith.

autostaretx
11-20-2018, 10:33 PM
Here in Seattle, Seattle Mercedes will do the recall on Freightliner Sprinters. (and Lynnwood should)

Here's the tale of a forum member's 2004 Freightliner "educating" Seattle Mercedes:
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52197

--dick

bcolins
11-28-2018, 03:52 AM
Here in Seattle, Seattle Mercedes will do the recall on Freightliner Sprinters. (and Lynnwood should)

Here's the tale of a forum member's 2004 Freightliner "educating" Seattle Mercedes:
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52197

--dick

Thanks for the lead. I spoke to Seattle MB yesterday. They provided some possibly helpful info,....but the service writer I spoke with said they couldn't help beyond that.

Lotus54
11-28-2018, 04:41 AM
I may contact Seattle MB. I don’t *have* to do this ‘recall’- no testing where I live and likely won’t be.
BUT I’m thinking if I sell it in the future, having the California market could be quite helpful.
So I may do it while they still have people that know how, and how to solve issues.

it is a problem since it is a fair drive, plus a ferry ride to get to this dealer- and I’ll have to hang around there for hours. And I don’t like to go to Seattle anymore (ha)

Thanks for the info Dick

bcolins
12-05-2018, 01:55 PM
Anyone have any further thoughts on this?

boxer rebellion
12-15-2018, 03:04 AM
I see Vic started a new thread for T21 Recall Dealer Recommendation. T21 is the Dodge recall campaign name, Mercedes Benz calls it Campaign 2016040001.

My two closest Freightliner dealers (AUSTIN AND HOUSTON) have no experience with the T21 recall issues. and will only look at my van at my expense. I have emailed information from this forum about the recall related issues and had no response to it,.....phone calls and emails....the same,....no response.

Has anyone anywhere in the U.S. Found a Freightliner dealer who has had experience with the issues caused by this recall and that the fix for the constantly Cycling EGR valve and the Instrument panel failing to turn off with the key is replacement of the Instrument panel??

It is my hope that if I find a Freightliner dealer anywhere in the US who has experience with the T21 problem and the fix for it,...that I can request that they contact my Austin dealer for a consult. If/when this occurs, I will post up any positive Freightliner related info.

Please do not add info here about Dodge or Mercedes dealers .....They will not help those of us who own Freightliners and live in Texas, Florida, New York or New Jersey.

Brian in San Antonio

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Brian,

I am in San Antonio as well, did you ever find a resolution for this T21 recall on Freightliner Sprinter?

andre

bcolins
12-15-2018, 03:20 AM
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Brian,

I am in San Antonio as well, did you ever find a resolution for this T21 recall on Freightliner Sprinter?

andre

not yet

bcolins
12-16-2018, 09:48 PM
Posted by user name "Zymurgy" in the other non-Freightliner T-21 Dealer recommendations thread:

"Fyda Freightliner in Columbus, Ohio sort of successfully performed the recall on my 2004. However the only counties requiring e-check in Ohio are in the Cleveland area. I would not perform unless from those counties. It took 2 trips, still had to replace an out of spec shifter ($1000 on me), before a new instrument cluster (on them) could be installed."

bcolins
01-18-2019, 02:45 AM
Its been a month since any new responses. Anyone else?

bcolins
01-28-2019, 07:11 PM
Moving this to the top,....anyone found a Freightliner dealer anywhere in the US that is knowledgeable about the T-21 recall.

GaryJ
01-28-2019, 08:37 PM
Moving this to the top,....anyone found a Freightliner dealer anywhere in the US that is knowledgeable about the T-21 recall.

This may have been covered in a prior response, but since MB owns Freightliner I’d think they hold the ultimate responsibility for this recall, which they’re legally required to perform. If you haven’t already gone this route, maybe trying to work with MB could provide a link to a MB dealer that can pull it off. There were lots of vans sold with the Freightliner badge and some used on RV applications so this has got to be coming up all over the country. I’ll be facing this same situation in the future with my 06 140. It sounds like we’re going to have to lean hard on those guys to get this service done.

Gary

baggio95
01-30-2019, 10:29 PM
I recently purchased a 2004 Freightliner Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser MB. A little bit of a drive for you from TX but the previous owner had the recall work done at Mercedes Benz of Littleton in the Denver area in May 2018.

jmiller5
02-08-2019, 01:26 AM
RE recall T21 and 2016040001: I am in California, my vehicle is a 2004 Freightliner 2500, built as a motor home by Forest River, owned since 2010. Received recall notice 201632 (DMV) with my license renewal - it is the same as T21 (Dodge) and 2016040001 (Freightliner and Mercedes). I am in contact with CA Air Resources Board about this. I received the attached document from them, which explains the issue in more detail.

I am now searching for a Mercedes dealer to accomplish this mandatory repair. I am in Long Beach. Has anyone experienced the repair yet? If so, what dealer, what cost if any, how much time did it take, and how do you rate the experience?

I will appreciate any information available to guide me!

Thanks,
Jeff Miller
jeff.miller@csulb.edu

bcolins
02-08-2019, 03:55 AM
I recently purchased a 2004 Freightliner Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser MB. A little bit of a drive for you from TX but the previous owner had the recall work done at Mercedes Benz of Littleton in the Denver area in May 2018.

baggio95, do you know if they had to replace the instrument cluster to correct a constantly on back light and constantly cycling EGR valve? Getting the recall done is not the issue,....fixing the problems caused by the recall is the issue.

autostaretx
02-08-2019, 09:10 PM
Regarding Freightliner dealers, you might give McCoy Freightliner in Portland Oregon a call.

I do not KNOW if they're fought the 2004 battle, but at that time they were directly owned by corporate Freightliner, so were very busy bees in terms of filling Portland streets with Sprinters. We bought our 2005 from them in Dec 2005.
When we called them with a problem soon after the sale, they were willing to make an accurate guess over the phone as to what the problem was (bad IAT sensor).

Their Sprinter address/phone is:
SPRINTER & RVS
2323 NE Columbia BLVD
Portland OR 97211
(503) 735-1970

--dick

socalmbcruiser
02-10-2019, 06:57 AM
jmiller5,

I have the same Forest River on 2004 chassis and live in OC. I have GDE tune that bypasses my faulty SKREEM and am planning to postpone the recall as long as possible. I have not received the recall notice yet. I occasionally take my rv in to Caliber Motors in Anaheim and they handle quite a bit of Spriters as far as I know. They are a MB dealer. When I took in a few weeks ago for brake fluid change, they told me I have a T21 recall, but I declined. So far they have changed my ECU, engine wiring harness, etc and I am happy with them. Please give them a call and let me know your experience with them if you take it there. Caliber Motors (855) 281-3286. Internet says they are located in Anaheim Hills but legal city is Anaheim. 5395 E La Palma Ave, Anaheim, CA 92807. Below is their Sprinter service website:

https://www.anaheimmercedes.com/Sprinter_service_anaheim_mercedes.html

rsprinterbeard
02-11-2019, 09:05 PM
Hi All,

I received the same unhappy message in my renewal notice. I called my local MBZ dealer (Autobahn Motors, Belmont, CA), and they knew all about it! I have an appointment to have the ECU flashed the day after tomorrow.

-Robert

bcolins
02-12-2019, 03:09 PM
Hi All,

I received the same unhappy message in my renewal notice. I called my local MBZ dealer (Autobahn Motors, Belmont, CA), and they knew all about it! I have an appointment to have the ECU flashed the day after tomorrow.

-Robert

Robert, if your van is a 2004 or 2005 make sure you and they are aware of the post recall problems (which is what all the T21 threads are discussing)
Brian

shooter0
02-12-2019, 04:14 PM
I just had my 2013 3500 serviced for the recalls at Orlando Freightliner in Apopka, FL. Phone # 800-741-3846.

carter.home
05-06-2019, 04:59 PM
I’ve been looking at this check engine light for over two years so, armed with the updated recall notice I am going to drive over to my local Mercedes dealer and see what they say about getting the instrument control cluster replaced

carter.home
05-06-2019, 05:23 PM
Brian can you post a link to the original recall document?

autostaretx
05-06-2019, 06:18 PM
Brian can you post a link to the original recall document?
Will a photo suffice?

--dick

carter.home
05-07-2019, 01:19 AM
I went to my local MB dealer in West Covina, Los Angeles county. I spoke with the service manager and the shop foreman. I showed the updated recall notice and told them I need the cluster control panel replaced. the "computer" shows the recall 2016040001 is closed, and until MB opens it again there is nothing they can do. I guess I understand, but they were polite and told me he would check weekly to see of it opens again and would contact me. I also called the MB Good Will Center (800) 367-6372, not much help but gave me this website https://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/owners-resources/recall if this recall reopens it will show here. You can input your VIN to check recalls.

autostaretx, when did you get this notice? If it is current it seems the recall would be open. IDK

2004 Freightliner Sprinter 3/2004mfg

bcolins
05-07-2019, 06:11 PM
I went to my local MB dealer in West Covina, Los Angeles county. I spoke with the service manager and the shop foreman. I showed the updated recall notice and told them I need the cluster control panel replaced. the "computer" shows the recall 2016040001 is closed, and until MB opens it again there is nothing they can do. I guess I understand, but they were polite and told me he would check weekly to see of it opens again and would contact me. I also called the MB Good Will Center (800) 367-6372, not much help but gave me this website https://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/owners-resources/recall if this recall reopens it will show here. You can input your VIN to check recalls.

autostaretx, when did you get this notice? If it is current it seems the recall would be open. IDK

Jim Carter, all,

TWO THINGS

1) Can a recall campaign be cancelled?? That doesn't sound right to me.

2) I got my van fixed YESTERDAY at Houston Freightliner. That said, I have been talking with the service manager, Brett Bennett for several months about this,..... and based on our conversations, the info I sent him from this forum, and his conversations with his factory service rep,...they ordered a new instrument panel for me, I drove in yesterday morning (a 4.5 hour drive) and with some trials and tribulations,....they did get the new instrument panel to eventually communicate with the vehicle and all its sensors,....I did a 25 mile test drive with no check engine light. Upon returning to the dealer, when I shut off the van, the dash back light did turn off and stay off, and there was no evidence of the EGR valve humming or clicking.

Brian in San Antonio

autostaretx
05-07-2019, 07:05 PM

As the top of the letter shows, November 2016.
The envelope did not have a postmarked date (due to style of mass mailing).

Note that the letter cites a different "contact us" phone number: 877-762-8267

--dick

bcolins
05-07-2019, 08:35 PM
As the top of the letter shows, November 2016.
The envelope did not have a postmarked date (due to style of mass mailing).

Note that the letter cites a different "contact us" phone number: 877-762-8267

--dick

Dick, Jim,

Looks like you guys haven't noticed that I started a new thread 3 weeks ago specifically to show the updated recall doc.

Look here:
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75381

Brian

autostaretx
05-08-2019, 01:17 AM
Dick, Jim,

Looks like you guys haven't noticed that I started a new thread 3 weeks ago specifically to show the updated recall doc.

Look here:
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75381

Brian
Just so it's here, too, the new recall letter is:
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111084&d=1555613481

(dated May 2017)

I note that the letter says only 11,302 vehicles are involved, which is only about a third of the Sprinters sold during that period. (it could be just the 2004 count)((off to dig up old production numbers....))
From deep in the dusty archives:

... so it's hard to figure out where they got the "11,302" ... oh ... yeah ... it's probably FREIGHTLINER ONLY!
The bulk of that era Sprinter Sales were probably Dodge.
The monthly sales do not mean that each unit sold was that specific model year.
From the above chart, the 2004 for Freightliner only was 8493, and 2005 had 6658 FLs. (one was mine)
That's a total of 15151 in those two years ... still not reconciling well with the 11,302. :idunno:

--dick

GaryJ
05-08-2019, 04:04 AM
MB of Rocklin CA (near Sacramento) did my 2006 Freightliner without a problem. Thinking it might take a while since they were doing other service they gave me a 2019 Sprinter as a loaner. Love that 7 speed box.

Gary

mtngant2
05-08-2019, 05:58 PM
I had an appointment with my local M-B this afternoon. But after sending him the Recall Letter and then talking to him on the phone I had to cancel.

He says that if the issue did not occur right when the repair was done (like when they did the test drive), it is not a warranty issue.

I have been dealing with this for well over a year and half.

Replaced: battery, alternator, battery (2x), EGR, Mass Air Flow Sensor, Starter (2x), plus early on they dealership charged me to trace down a small electrical loss at one of the doors.

Now I disconnect the battery overnight and do the double key turn during the day.

He gave me the number for M-B Customer Assistance (1-800-367-6372).

carter.home
05-08-2019, 06:50 PM
I just spent about 20 minutes on the phone with Mercedes Goodwill center and was told there’s nothing they can do and the recall will never be reopened unless enough people call and complain whatever that means. So I don’t understand how some people with these freightliners are able to get the repair done

Aqua Puttana
05-11-2019, 03:43 PM
I just spent about 20 minutes on the phone with Mercedes Goodwill center and was told there’s nothing they can do and the recall will never be reopened unless enough people call and complain whatever that means. So I don’t understand how some people with these freightliners are able to get the repair done
:idunno:

Were they speaking about your particular recall that was performed and closed?

To my knowledge, the Freightliner recall is still in effect.

:2cents: vic

mrcolin2u
05-11-2019, 11:54 PM
My sprinter is badged mercedes will a dodge dealer do the work on it ?

Aqua Puttana
05-12-2019, 01:55 AM
My sprinter is badged mercedes will a dodge dealer do the work on it ?
Similar to added chrome, the badge choice is fluff. The VIN # is what will determine who will do the recall procedure for you.

From what I have gleaned...
Dodge VIN # recall procedure = Dodge aka Chrysler dealership only.

Freightliner VIN # recall procedure = Freightliner dealership, possibly MB dealership (Sprinter shops).

mrcolin2u
05-12-2019, 02:42 PM
Similar to added chrome, the badge choice is fluff. The VIN # is what will determine who will do the recall procedure for you.

From what I have gleaned...
Dodge VIN # recall procedure = Dodge aka Chrysler dealership only.

Freightliner VIN # recall procedure = Freightliner dealership, possibly MB dealership (Sprinter shops).

Thanks , I looked up VIN on MOPAR site and it is a dodge. None of the documents for the vehicle has dodge , it's all Mercedes . It's an RV made by Airstream. But I'm glad it's dodge, from what I'm gathering here there's a Dodge dealer on the west coast knows what he's doing with this recall.

nutterbutter
05-18-2019, 04:56 AM
I own a Freightliner badged LTV RV.

Called Mercedes of Pleasanton CA (they are a Sprinter Mercedes dealer). Gave Rick my VIN. Says fine, bring it in. Doesn't matter if badged Freightliner. Their general policy is any Sprinter for any service good, except they sometimes can't work on special Freightliner installed aftermarket stuff.

Rick didn't know about the instrument cluster. I informed him, he looked down in the notes and found it. Rick spoke to some other people, and said that's not a problem but they cannot order the instrument cluster until van is in shop and they do the multi-step process that says to replace it. As of Thursday, there were 8 instrument clusters available in the country.

I have a GDE tune an no issues with my van except the SRS light is on because I made the mistake of turning on the key while the seatbelt was disconnected. I imagine that will get fixed during the recall. I am going to try smog, and then register in person. If I'm lucky like a few others, they may not read the form and hand me my tags. I imagine the process of getting the tags might clear the recall for next year--if not I'll get the recall done then.

mrcolin2u
05-19-2019, 11:42 PM
Took mine to Cole Dodge in SLO last week and had the recall done . Went straight to AAA and got my registration renewed. I had already paid for it but didn't see the T21 requirement on my DMV form.
Van seems to be running fine after 200 miles.

carter.home
05-24-2019, 05:20 AM
I took my freightliner to Cole Dodge last year and they wouldn’t work on it because it’s not dodge. did they perform just the ECU flash or the instrument panel replacement?

autostaretx
05-24-2019, 07:29 PM
For folks late to the party: MB and Freightliner will perform the recall on Freightliners (there were no "MB" T1Ns in the US/Canada)

Dodges have to go to Dodge/Chrysler (if you want it done for free).

Since the corporate break-up (Daimler/Chrysler) in (was it?) 2010, they're two totally separate entities.
Freightliner is still part of Daimler, as is MB.

--dick

jmiller5
06-01-2019, 12:17 AM
Update re emissions recall (California DMV # 201632, Dodge # T21, Mercedes # 2016040001):

My vehicle is a 2004 Freightliner Sprinter 2500 (T1N), built as a motor home by Forest River. I live in the Los Angeles area. My annual notice to renew my registration noted a "manufacturer recall # 201632" and required "proof of correction" from a dealer before I could renew my license. This was the only notice I ever received about this recall.

I took my vehicle to Mercedes of Anaheim. They performed the software upgrade, following the procedure in the Mercedes Recall Campaign Bulletin, and gave me the "Proof of Correction" certificate. I was then able to license my vehicle with the California DMV.

Initially, all seemed fine, but after two brief driving outings, the problem symptoms appeared, as reported by other owners of model year 2004 Sprinters: When the engine was shut off, the Instrument Cluster light did not turn off and the EGR mechanism did not turn off. Also, the Check Engine Light appeared and stayed on as long as the engine was running.

I took my vehicle back to Mercedes of Anaheim and they performed the additional steps indicated in the Recall Bulletin, ending with the replacement of the Instrument Cluster. So far, the vehicle is performing properly, so I am optimistic this is the end of the troubles. This dealership should now be familiar enough with this problem to deal with additional Sprinter recalls in an efficient manner; my contact there is Michael Gonzales, mgonzalez@anaheimmercedes.com, phone 714.777.7446.

This process has been difficult, because Mercedes Benz USA has made it so: I was never contacted or informed about this recall by MBUSA, even though they clearly have my contact information in their system as the vehicle owner, which is obvious whenever I have taken the vehicle to a Mercedes dealer - they are able to view the entire history of my vehicle. I was never able to discuss the problems with the contact person to whom I was referred at MBUSA - my phone messages were never returned.

I was able to resolve this only after contacting my state government representative's office. They put me in contact with Jeffrey Wong at the California Air Resources Board, jwong@arb.ca.gov, phone 626.575.7009. He was able to arrange with MBUSA to have my vehicle "diagnosed" and repaired without charge. Initially, the dealers, presumable following instructions from MBUSA, wanted to charge me $200 to "diagnose" the problem, a problem with which MBUSA is clearly aware, and which does not require "diagnosis".

skwoodwiva
06-03-2019, 05:09 PM

Thank you.
Did each visit take long enough to require a loaner vehicle?
Did you ask if they would provide one if needed?

TJD
06-06-2019, 04:12 PM
I took my 2004 to Alfano Mercedes in San Luis Obispo after calling and confirming that they could do this work. Left it there all day, got my certificate and drove happily away. I made it less than a mile when the check engine light came on with the uo423 code. I turned it off with my scan gauge but it came back on two more times. I called the dealer and informed them of my problem, scheduled another apppintment. When I talked with the service advisor I asked if he had heard about the instrument cluster replacement issue. Of course, he was unaware. Is that possible? I’m very suspicious, I will give them the benefit of the doubt. However, I am going to print out the directive from Daimler and take it with me for my next appointment.
After reading through this thread I realized I should have taken it to Cole Dodge, which is in the same town. It’s probably too late to take it there. Anyway, I’m hoping for the best.

autostaretx
06-06-2019, 04:56 PM
I took my 2004 ...
After reading through this thread I realized I should have taken it to Cole Dodge, which is in the same town. It’s probably too late to take it there. Anyway, I’m hoping for the best.
If you have a Freightliner, Dodge won't do the recall (for free)

If you have a Dodge, Freightliner/MB (theoretically) won't do the recall (for free).

Which are you? (i'm guessing "Freightliner")

--dick

TJD
06-06-2019, 05:02 PM
The dmv renewal calls it a Freightliner, called local FL truck dealer, they ran the vin and didn’t find it. I called MB dealer, ran vin, they found it as a Dodge. Not sure what that makes it.

autostaretx
06-06-2019, 10:07 PM
The dmv renewal calls it a Freightliner, called local FL truck dealer, they ran the vin and didn’t find it. I called MB dealer, ran vin, they found it as a Dodge. Not sure what that makes it.
:doh:
It can be confusing, especially since the various years (2004,5,6) parts catalogs claim different VIN digits as the identifier.
We'll approach it two ways:
Look at your VIN (or tell us!)...
It will be WDx..... with that 3rd character (x) being (hopefully) one of the following:

W = Dodge Bus
X = Dodge incomplete (i.e. cab/chassis)
8 = Dodge Passenger Wagon
0 = Dodge Cargo
1 = Sprinter cab/chassis
2 = Sprinter cargo
3 = Sprinter passenger

... except my Freighliner Passenger Wagon has "R" as that third character.

SO: the next thing to try is to enter your VIN to https://www.datamb.com/
That will give you your complete "datacard": evereything MB built into your Sprinter.
Down near the end will be a line saying something like "Freightliner execution" (or Dodge).
That's the real cookie

added: i just looked at one (soon "a few") datacards ... a 2004 with WD2 was "ZX8 DODGE EXECUTION"
a WD5 was also ZX8. A Westphalia was also WD5 and Dodge. (that covers the 2004s i have)
In 2005 both WD0 and WD8 were Dodges.
In 2005, both WDR (mine) and WDY were "ZX9 FREIGHTLINER EXECUTION"

Please tell us the results...

--dick

bcolins
06-07-2019, 01:17 PM

What badge do you have on your steering wheel? If its a Mercedes star, then someone has changed out the original badges Do you have the owners manuals? Call Cole dodge and see if their VIN search shows it as a Dodge, then ask them if they can do the Instrument cluster replacement fix. Symptoms are that the dash back light stays lit after shut down,....wait and watch it for a full minute to see if it comes back on,...and the EGR valve wil be humming or whining under the hood,.....pop the hood and listen.

Brian

bcolins
06-07-2019, 01:37 PM

Jim, Call Brett Bennett at Western Star Freightliner in Houston, tx ( the shop that just replaced my ICU) and see if HE says the recall is closed. It looks like others are still getting their instrument panels replaced, so I think you are getting some bad information from your AZ dealer. I have preiviously received bad information from Mercedes customer service,....telling me that my Freightliner was a Dodge,(It is not) and that they were not even able to talk to me any more,......I wouldn't put much faith in anything they tell you.

Brian

TJD
06-07-2019, 03:34 PM
Hi I ran the vin, got the data sheet. Yes down at the bottom is “freight liner execution”.

autostaretx
06-07-2019, 05:28 PM
Hi I ran the vin, got the data sheet. Yes down at the bottom is “freight liner execution”.
So, please: what's your 3rd character in your VIN?

--dick

jmiller5
06-07-2019, 06:24 PM
Thank you.
Did each visit take long enough to require a loaner vehicle?
Did you ask if they would provide one if needed?
each visit required a day or more. they would not give me a loaner, but they did give me a ride home.

TJD
06-07-2019, 07:41 PM
The third character is a 2

Bourkeco
06-13-2019, 03:22 PM
So I got the recall done on my 2006 sprinter all went well. I sent my verification into the California DMV it has been almost 20 days and they still haven’t cashed my check for my registration renewal. What has been everybody else’s experience with the California DMV and the time it takes to turn the registration around.. I know the California DMV is a mess but I would’ve thought they would’ve cash my check at least by now. Thanks

skwoodwiva
06-13-2019, 06:04 PM
So I got the recall done on my 2006 sprinter all went well. I sent my verification into the California DMV it has been almost 20 days and they still haven’t cashed my check for my registration renewal. What has been everybody else’s experience with the California DMV and the time it takes to turn the registration around.. I know the California DMV is a mess but I would’ve thought they would’ve cash my check at least by now. Thanks
Which dealer please, I have to get them to replace the pod.
Did you ask for a loaner?

Bourkeco
06-14-2019, 05:21 PM
Which dealer please, I have to get them to replace the pod.
Did you ask for a loaner?

Russell Westbrook in Van Nuys, didn't ask for a loaner.

carter.home
06-19-2019, 02:34 AM
Jim, Call Brett Bennett at Western Star Freightliner in Houston, tx ( the shop that just replaced my ICU) and see if HE says the recall is closed. It looks like others are still getting their instrument panels replaced, so I think you are getting some bad information from your AZ dealer. I have preiviously received bad information from Mercedes customer service,....telling me that my Freightliner was a Dodge,(It is not) and that they were not even able to talk to me any more,......I wouldn't put much faith in anything they tell you.

Brian

I have tried to call several times, no joy. I just got home from my local Mercedes dealer. Talked him into giving me a free diagnostic and running it up the ladder to see if I can my IC replaced. The good: they ran the diag and concluded I need a new IC. The bad: "The campaign is closed and cannot be re-opened or amended."

I may have a unique problem in that my original campaign 2016040001 was performed in November 2016. My check engine light has been on for 2 1/2 years. Not until recently was the real fix discovered. I don't understand. There is another dealer in Anaheim, CA that may help but also cannot get a return phone call.

autostaretx
06-19-2019, 02:47 AM
I have tried to call several times, no joy. I just got home from my local Mercedes dealer. Talked him into giving me a free diagnostic and running it up the ladder to see if I can my IC replaced. The good: they ran the diag and concluded I need a new IC. The bad: "The campaign is closed and cannot be re-opened or amended."

By that do they mean that it's closed for your *specific* Sprinter,
or that the entire T21/2016040001 campaign is closed? (i doubt it's the latter)

--dick (who fears you're S.O.L. and will need to pay for an IC if you want to clear the issue)
((but you could probably pick up a junkyard (pardon: recycling center) IC from a 2006 to help with the pricing .. it would still have to be programmatically melded with your Sprinter (primarily to get the odometer correct), but it would fix the not-going-snoozies issue))

carter.home
06-19-2019, 05:51 AM
They say the campaign is closed but I do believe it’s for my sprinter. I was able to pick up the correct IC and had it programmed for my rig. I reset all of the codes using my ICarSoft MBII but the codes and the check engine light came back maybe it is not able to do a full reset need some advice here

GaryJ
06-20-2019, 06:07 AM
By that do they mean that it's closed for your *specific* Sprinter,
or that the entire T21/2016040001 campaign is closed? (i doubt it's the latter)

--dick (who fears you're S.O.L. and will need to pay for an IC if you want to clear the issue)
((but you could probably pick up a junkyard (pardon: recycling center) IC from a 2006 to help with the pricing .. it would still have to be programmatically melded with your Sprinter (primarily to get the odometer correct), but it would fix the not-going-snoozies issue))

I had the local MB dealer (Rocklin, CA) recently do the T21 on my 06 Freightliner van. Today I made an appointment with Folsom Dodge in Sacramento, CA for my 06 “Dodge” motorhome. They seemed very familiar with the process and I have an appointment a week from now. I’ll report back.

Gary

bcolins
06-20-2019, 01:51 PM
They say the campaign is closed but I do believe it’s for my sprinter. I was able to pick up the correct IC and had it programmed for my rig. I reset all of the codes using my ICarSoft MBII but the codes and the check engine light came back maybe it is not able to do a full reset need some advice here

Jin, I had that same thought yesterday, that they probably are saying that YOUR campaign shows as closed because the recall has been done. That said,....that does not release Mercedes from their liability having caused your post recall problems by doing their mandated recall.

MY RECALL was done in 2016 or 2017 by the prior owner,.....and like you, my check engine light has been on for a couple years with the accompanying constantly on IC back light and constantly running EGR Jim,...and as you know,...I just got mine fixed a few months ago by Houston Freightliner at no charge.

CORRECTION TO MY PRIOR: THE SERVICE MANAGER THERE IS BRECK (NOT BRETT) BENNETT. I recently had a customer named Brett,....and mistakenly told you Brett in at least one of my posts here Jim,......it is BRECK BENNETT.

bcolins
11-04-2019, 11:28 AM

Jim, did you purchase a used IC? Who did the programming? Others may want to know.

You mentioned some warning light issues,...have you since resolved all issues.

Brian Collins