Trailer Brake Controller

D

Deleted member 50714

Is a Trailer Brake Controller a Factory Option for the 2019 Sprinter?
I see your post has descended to the second page without any response. So, wanted to help and give it bump for the Sprinter Gurus to answer. Come on men, help this guy! Let's make the forum great again.

There's no Trailer Brake Controller listed in the Dealer Ordering Guide. Only the "Trailer hitch prep. wiring" (E40), which is standard on all models.

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
I doubt that Mercedes Vans offer a trailer brake controller. There was none listed in the 2018 MB Vans Accessories Brochure. They are normally an aftermarket item and many are available. I did notice that the Big Three Pickup truck makes in USA now offer integrated trailer brake controllers as an option - not much help for Sprinter owners.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/03/trailer-brake-controllers-whats-wrong-and-whats-right.html

When I was regularly towing a few years back on a Ford van I used a model from Draw-Tite. Here is a review of current offerings.

https://mycarneedsthis.com/todays-best-electric-brake-controllers-with-reviews/

etrailer.com offers good support for trailering needs.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-brakecontroller.aspx

I'm attaching the details of the Trailer Hitch Packages from the 2018 Equipment Book as the 2019 version isn't that good. Including the E40 and Q24 Option descriptions from the 2019 Sprinter DOG. As FlyerDriver mentioned the E40 wiring is now standard so all you need is Q24 Trailer Hitch. Looks like they dropped the X22 Trailer Hitch package since the wiring is now standard. Also attaching the two pages from the 2019 Sprinter BEG on how to complete trailer brake control preparation. That document has the part numbers for the matching 4-pin connector you will need to connect an after-market brake controller.

Hope this helps,

Attachments

• Thanks
Reactions: mve

sailquik

GUARDSREDCAR,
Be sure to order the Q24 ORIS Factory installed cross member/receiver hitch with the trailer wiring included.
It will give you everything you need to easily add a trailer brake controller.
The "green connector" (4 wire connector) will be laying down inside the driver's seat box, and it's very easy to
have the dealer where you purchase the Sprinter get you the mating connector and pins so you can simply make
up (or the dealer can do it) the 4 wire pig tail to connect your choice of aftermarket electronic trailer brake controller
to the new Sprinter.
THIS IS THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN GET THE TRAILER STABILITY ASSIST (TSA).
TSA cannot be added for any after purchase trailer wiring/hitches/etc.
TSA is a really important safety feature when ever you are towing anything.
The ORIS crossmember is the strongest, and best fitting receiver hitch available,
and the cost of the Q24 package is probably the least expensive way to equip your
new Sprinter for trailer towing.
You might save a few $$ by using aftermarket towing components, but you won't
get the long term reliability/fit/function of the factory engineered Q24 package!
Hope this helps,
Roger
Be sure that the dealer understands that the "green connector" is included and needs
to be utilized for any trailer brake controller. Many dealers do not seem to know this.

Top Bottom