Sounds like my Sprinter is going to explode please help

drolando

Please watch and listen to the following video on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/JQGEq8PZrv4

And you guys have any idea what that is please let me know I'm getting absolutely no fault codes and no lights with the cheap reader that AutoZone uses.
This only occurs when I accelerate quickly if I let her the accelerator pedal and try to accelerate slowly it stops from doing this god-awful sound.

but it is awful listening to this and not knowing what is going on. I recently I mean yesterday I changed a bad didn't furniture that I bought the van with but that seems to be a resounding success now I have a bunch of other stuff to do including flushing the radiator flushing out the transmission and torque converter I have to change the fuel filter and a couple of fuel lines but I also want to install a priming pump and a marine filter since I plan to drive this baby all the way to Ecuador in a couple years I recently changed the oil and filter with liquid Molly and there is a slight problem with my steering which I have to figure out might be ball joints and of course a good alignment I think I might try to stiffen up the rear springs with a pair of junkyard Springs I could get on the cheap but I would be happy to know what the hell that noise is right now.

glasseye

Please watch and listen to the following video on YouTube.
https://youtu.be/JQGEq8PZrv4.
You need to make a better video. You can't tell if the noise is from the vehicle or from handling noise on the phone. Hold the camera still.

Invoke the problem several times. Try different speeds and different camera locations to reduce road background noise.

Get someone to ride along with you and let them carefully record the noise.

Safer, too. :thumbup:

drolando

I am scared to death of invoking that sound again to try to get you guys to help me and then having 2 you got a new engine or a new transmission as a result.
Believe me that when I say that I think that you guys are an invaluable source of information I am truly sincere and I truly appreciate all your help you have help me on several occasions already since I am quite ignorant about this type of vehicle but I'm really scared I'm screwing up my 4 Rosita.
What I'm going to do is try to buy this traffic camera that they sell at Walmart for $20 and mounting it in a way where you guys been here and seeing everything better hopefully it has sound. This would also be a much more safer way of doing this.
Anyway thanks a million you guys and God bless all of you and even if you're not sure I would appreciate your opinion and believe me when I say that it is not road noise it is coming from the car I could feel it in my bum and I'm going to feel like a lot worse if the engine blows up are the tranny. After Mountain or should I say changing a differential from the junkyard yesterday I felt like I got sexually violated biker gang in prison for as they say in my neighborhood g*********

QUOTE=glasseye;709420]You need to make a better video. You can't tell if the noise is from the vehicle or from handling noise on the phone. Hold the camera still.

Invoke the problem several times. Try different speeds and different camera locations to reduce road background noise.

Get someone to ride along with you and let them carefully record the noise.

Safer, too. :thumbup:[/QUOTE]

drolando

Also please excuse all the spelling errors guys I do not have a keyboard and I am dictating to my phone since I am away from home Contracting as an aircraft mechanic I am living in my van and I have very limited resources until I finish my van build and completing Rosita's conversion into a stealth camper. Eventually Rosita is going to look like an electrician's man from the outside but on top is going to have maybe 600 watts of solar panels 2 to 3 exhaust fans or maybe two fans and on nice skylight I'm going to have a walk in shower a kitchenette and a refrigerator a full size bed a couch a dusk multi-purpose dining room table internet Broadband speed LED lighting inverter generator and maybe even a stripper pole and a disco ball

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
I don't know what is causing that sound, but I'd look under the top black cover to look for a leaking injector.
What year do you have?

drolando

[ I have a 2003 Freightliner 2500 high tops cargo van with the beloved 5-cylinder diesel is this dark right now but I will take a look first thing in the morning I just had that cover off a month ago or not even a couple weeks ago and everything was fine but you never know so thanks for the suggestion

QUOTE=NelsonSprinter;709435]I don't know what is

causing that sound, but I'd look under the top black cover to look for a leaking injector.
What year do you have?[/QUOTE]

D

Deleted member 50714

This is a wild ass guess. Check the driveshaft. No sensors on the driveshaft to throw a code. Not yet at least.

drolando

I don't know what is causing that sound, but I'd look under the top black cover to look for a leaking injector.
What year do you have?

It sounds like I'm racking pool balls until I let off the gas and it's only in certain conditions of acceleration and I think we can definitely say that it's coming from the engine it actually feels like it's coming from between my legs and when it does it the engine kind of wants to stall out I'm sorry I don't want to recreate it unless it's absolutely necessary because I don't want to bend anything inside the engine it sounds like something internal for the engine Maybe the valves not driving together or something I don't know

I guess it sounds like the sound of dieseling but on crack or the sound of dieseling but on a combination of crack and methamphetamines smoked and then shot up in the neck

I mean it is really disconcerting

injector r super dry

no black death

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156395458629064&set=a.10151537018019064&type=3&theater

The only thing I found was an oil leak on the turbo oil return line that is connected to the block I actually tried rigging it with some black gooey stuff at the Block before I left South Florida but it started leaking again does anyone think this might cause my problem

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156395459824064&set=a.10151537018019064&type=3&theater

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Good catch. Thankfully replacing the flex plate is not a bank breaker, and any good shop that does trans removal could do it in 4 hours or so? Trans removal on the T1N is fairly easy comparatively speaking, especially with a lift and trans jack.

drolando

Sounds like a cracked flywheel. Good known problem for 2003.
I have never had to change a flywheel aka flex plate on an automatic... Do you think it damaged the torque converter or something else? Ia new one will cist around $300 US NEW AND MAYBE $100 FROM A JUNKYARD. Torque converter is like 800 years and it transmission you're talkin like 4 grand It is getting worse but the good thing is I am not driving it at the moment

drolando

I wanted to thank you guys for all the help that you've given me.
This forum is really great.
I mean I have gotten so much good information from you guys that I just hope God repays all of you for your Goodwill. I am going to try to contribute as much as I can as soon as I start learning about these vans.
I am about 90% that it is the flex plate on my beautiful Rosita. After John schmit diagnosed the problem and Cheyenne and Midwest Drifter confirmed it I also did a bunch of research on YouTube and as I said I'm about 90% certain that it is the flexplate which I like to call the flywheel. Well it would be a flywheel if I was lucky enough to have a t1n with a manual transmission. Actually there's this Swiss engineer on YouTube. Converted a t1n four-wheel drive and shifted to Canada and drove it all throughout America I think he drove from Canada all the way down to the tips of Argentina. Actually he is the one that gave me the idea of putting a marine fuel filter with a priming pump on my big surly Momma Rosita. I am telling you when she found out I was posting videos of her on YouTube all tore up manned up and found a way to get rid of all of her fault lights. Regrettably I still get an intermittent engine and glow plug light but that is not my baby's fault. The people responsible for that were theZ scumbags who had her before me and did not take care of her the way she deserves to be taken care of. But now Daddy is going to cheat her the way that that caliber of girl deserves to be treated. My baby is going to get spoiled to death

Last edited:

HighPockets

drolando, I think you have an unhealthy attachment to your beautiful Rosita Rosita. Like maybe you need to see a schrink! Hey, just funning around. I spend more time messing around with my Sprinter than my Lexus. Well, it is my wife's so she should take better care of it, ha, ha. :lol:

Gene

drolando

Okay just so everybody knows what the problem really was. The fix for this was a fuel rail pressure sensor that was intermittent. You know the one that goes on the fuel rail at the very front of the engine. The problem is that. Pressure sensor is expensive and it is different on the 2001 to 2003 and 2004 through 2006. It was a nightmare to get the right part and to troubleshoot it. I ended up buying an EGR valve then I probably didn't need. I also paid these Mobile mechanics to lower the transmission for me and change the flexplate which was not the problem.I pulled the manual reference for them with all the torque values and that kind of laughed at me and by the time I got back from bringing them lunch they had already lowered change the parts and put it back up. Since they were in there I had bought a new rear oil seal because it had a very small leak. The manual said that you have to lower the oil pan and in order to change that seal which I'm almost positive they did not do. To make a long story short the day after I paid them it started leaking a lot worse. Now the leak is much worse. Also I tried changing the fuel rail with one that came out of a 2006 which was a very big mistake because I was not able to do it without blowing their engine and now I have a leek on the intake gasket. Not only is it leaking oil I have a coolant leak also. Now I'm going to have to lower that engine for sure to change the rear seal rhetoric everything and change the intake manifold seal. the guys that had it before me had broke off a bolt in the back so I had to do it anyway. I bought a new van which I am fixing up to go contracting and I'm going to use the older van as a spare. Actually the new van I got is a 2006 it's only has about 70000 original miles and is in really good condition except for some annoying electrical problems but she runs like a champ. Actually besides the 2006 I bought two smaller sprinters which I plan to make one good small one and send to Ecuador. This will be my retirement van which I will use to go back and forth between montanita Ecuador and Chiclayo Peru on my surf adventures in a couple of years. I can't wait. All I need is an old 40 foot sailboat and I will have all the tools I need for my retirement. A cute little surfer girl would it be bad either since I have to throw the one I married back into the ocean.... There are a lot more fish in the sea... Jeje

Top Bottom