No Start 2014

Hank1968

I have a Sprinter RV. It is a 2014 3.0 with 27K on it. I changed the fuel filter and in doing so I cracked the plastic tee on the leak down hose and drove it for 40 miles and that's when I pulled over and saw fuel dripping under the engine and when I opened the hood the plastic tee was completely broken off from the right side of the return line. Had line replaced and drove for about 50 miles then when pulling away from a light made it to about 30 mph and the engine quit. Drifted off the road and read codes p2147 and p0265. Cleared the codes but p2147 would not clear and no start.Another tow to a Sprinter dealer in Maryland. They seem to be chasing the problem. They replaced the crank and cam sensors and got it to start and also replaced one of the injectors. It will start and idle fine but when you put a load on the engine it goes into a barely running state. They are saying the engine harness has to be the problem
Thanks Hank 2014 3500 Sprinter RV

Something worth checking.

Inspect that the air connections/hose from the air filter box to the turbo are properly installed and not leaking. Air leaks between the air filter box and turbo affect the expected MAF calculations which can result in some odd engine operating problems.

Good luck.

vic

Hank1968

His Dennis, no electric fan on the unit. The service writer was trying to tell me that the oil wicked its way into parts of the wiring harness. I talked to the Tech and he does not think that fuel got into the connectors ? I am at a Loss I was wondering if air is in the fuel system. The thing that has me confused is that it ran fine for about 40 to 50 miles after the leak down hose was replaced. Also they replaced the EGR valve because when they drove it it threw that code when it stalled on them after the other items I mentioned. Prior to this I had it in the shop because of an EGR code twice in one weekend trip but I cleared the code and they would not cover this. They said just recycle the key and code will still be there and you will be out of limp mode.

Hank1968

Well new update from the dealer. Tech says that the crank sensor has an intermittent communication problem with the cam sensor.

Hank1968

BadWiring.jpg This why I had a no start on the Sprinter . The wiring at the connector that goes to the CDi had a corroded wire at the connector end.

manwithgun

Unknown member
Do you know how they performed the repair, or was the harness replaced? I’ve had great success sweating in a bit of flux and solder into the crimps leading to erratic sensors (on both ends) and adding a bit of tension to the finned terminal contact points. All of my wiring and crimps looked shiny and new with no visual sign of a problem or corrosion.

EDIT: It looks like the picture is of the repair, where the wire was cut, stripped, and a new terminal was crimped on. You can tell by the copper wire strands at the crimp. The factory ends of the wire are pre-tinned (silver).

Last edited:

Hank1968

The dealer is having the Germans send them a new wiring harness at their expense. The picture is of the corroded wire/connection. It almost looks like it is somewhat burnt. The Tech said the new connections are more weather tight.

manwithgun

Unknown member
It’s great to hear that you’re being covered for the complete wire harness replacement. Not fun or cheap to do. Interesting that your 2014 seems to be using standard copper wire at the crimped ends, where my 2007 uses tinned copper wire (better heat and corrosion resistance). This is an unmolested harness crimp from my 07. Note that the locking barb at the top of the terminal is pressed down flat by the removal tool (1st pic) and bent upwards for installation (2nd pic). Excuse the poor macro focus.

Attachments

Hank1968

Well the Sprinter is fixed $5,800.00 for the warranty work and $690.00 out of pocket. What a nightmare in the shop since Oct.22 2018. Took it out for a 100 mile run and it is back to normal.

Top Bottom