T21 Recall for OM647s - Recommended Dealerships

The T21 Emissions Recall Thread is rather long now.

T21 Emissions Recall Notice
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57401

An issue with getting the recall performed is that some dealerships appear to be better qualified to complete the T21 Recall as compared to others.

The intention of this thread is to list the dealerships which have successfully completed the recall for Sprinter-source members. There is nothing wrong with adding a dealership which didn't perform well, but please keep any comments as brief as you can.

Please include the city and state when you post.

I set this as a Sticky. The status could change as the thread unfolds.

:cheers: vic
ADDED: March 20, 2021

There is a Mercedes "Fix" for the start aka chassis battery power drain own after the T21 recall.

T1NT21fixModule.jpg

It sounds like the DMV is referring to the emissions recall that Dodge designates T21. Freightliner letter use Voluntary Recall Campaign 2016030002 and Mercedes Benz is reported to call it Campaign 2016040001.
:cheers: vic
Added:
POSSIBLE HELP FOR THOSE GETTING THE RUN AROUND IN CALIFORNIA.

Update re emissions recall (California DMV # 201632, Dodge # T21, Mercedes # 2016040001):

My vehicle is a 2004 Freightliner Sprinter 2500 (T1N), built as a motor home by Forest River. I live in the Los Angeles area. My annual notice to renew my registration noted a "manufacturer recall # 201632" and required "proof of correction" from a dealer before I could renew my license. This was the only notice I ever received about this recall.

I took my vehicle to Mercedes of Anaheim. They performed the software upgrade, following the procedure in the Mercedes Recall Campaign Bulletin, and gave me the "Proof of Correction" certificate. I was then able to license my vehicle with the California DMV.

Initially, all seemed fine, but after two brief driving outings, the problem symptoms appeared, as reported by other owners of model year 2004 Sprinters: When the engine was shut off, the Instrument Cluster light did not turn off and the EGR mechanism did not turn off. Also, the Check Engine Light appeared and stayed on as long as the engine was running.

I took my vehicle back to Mercedes of Anaheim and they performed the additional steps indicated in the Recall Bulletin, ending with the replacement of the Instrument Cluster. So far, the vehicle is performing properly, so I am optimistic this is the end of the troubles. This dealership should now be familiar enough with this problem to deal with additional Sprinter recalls in an efficient manner; my contact there is Michael Gonzales, mgonzalez@anaheimmercedes.com, phone 714.777.7446.

This process has been difficult, because Mercedes Benz USA has made it so: I was never contacted or informed about this recall by MBUSA, even though they clearly have my contact information in their system as the vehicle owner, which is obvious whenever I have taken the vehicle to a Mercedes dealer - they are able to view the entire history of my vehicle. I was never able to discuss the problems with the contact person to whom I was referred at MBUSA - my phone messages were never returned.

I was able to resolve this only after contacting my state government representative's office. They put me in contact with Jeffrey Wong at the California Air Resources Board, jwong@arb.ca.gov, phone 626.575.7009. He was able to arrange with MBUSA to have my vehicle "diagnosed" and repaired without charge. Initially, the dealers, presumable following instructions from MBUSA, wanted to charge me $200 to "diagnose" the problem, a problem with which MBUSA is clearly aware, and which does not require "diagnosis".

Last edited:

david_42

Re: T21 Recall - Recommended Dealerships

Ron Tonkin Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM FIAT
16800 SE McLoughlin Blvd, Milwaukie, OR 97267

Some very knowledgeable technicians. They do a lot of fleet work and were aware of the possible problems with the recall. They also explained that there was no way to predict which vans would have what problem, because of the many variations of equipment that were installed during that year. I had the "kills battery" problem and they got the parts and finished the recall.

carter.home

Jim Carter

http://colechryslerdodge.net

As I understand it the Dodge T21 recall, Mercedes calls the recall "Campaign 2016040001 is pretty straightforward. the problem arises if you have an early 2004 sprinter it causes a communication problem with the instrument control panel generating check engine code U0423, kills the battery do to the EGR not shutting off and also the flashing odometer light symptoms

Cole Chrysler Dodge in San Luis Obispo has done several of these IE replacing the instrument control panel to correct the check engine light U0423 problem cause by the recall

My problem is my sprinter is badged as a Freightliner and must be repaired by Mercedes who has not recognized this repair I still need help finding a Mercedes dealer to perform this repaired

Last edited:

sethlp

Dodge Chrysler Hilltop Richmond CA successful
2006 2500 263k Dodge wouldn’t pass smog. Egr Marf codes
Passed after recal.

A California dealership that seems to have their sh*t together.

Cole Dodge in San Luis Obispo did the recall fix on my ‘06 Dodge Sprinter in about 90 minutes and I easily passed smog the next day. They told me ‘04 gave them the most problems but they were now stocking the parts needed to complete the recall for that year without delay. Give them a call and ask for the service manager. They are awesome.
I called today to schedule my recall service with Cole Chrysler in San Luis Obispo. They (Evan) was very pleasant and knowledgeable on the phone. He totally knew about the problems with some Sprinters and made certain they had the proper instrument cluster in stock just in case. I do hope mine is of the easier variety; it is a 2005 manufactured 10/04. He told me there is some chance they would want to keep the vehicle overnight if they encounter issues. Even so he said I can expect them to finish relatively early the second day. He had some horror stories to share about recall work done incompletely, causing people to rack up big repair bills changing all kinds of stuff that didn't help. And also people with Mercedes Sprinters trying to get reimbursed for work done by Dodge dealers, etc. I do hope all goes smoothly.
FWIW.

There was a break point part way through the 2004 model year that changed the ECM aka ECU architecture/design in some way. That fact was pointed out by Doktor A and some tuner businesses. That may be a factor affecting the need to change out the IC Instrument Cluster for some recall updates. If it is true, a 2005 MY even manufactured late(r) in 2004 shouldn't be a problem.

vic

Added:
Hey guys, 04 Sprinter 2500 owner here with an update from my visit San Luis Obispo Dodge dealer. My service rep was MATT, which will also be the name of my first-born son. Matt was very clear that this recall work can get sketchy, especially on the 04s, but he also said that their phones are ringing off the hook from forum users looking to get through this update minefield. He advised that in the worst case scenario I might need a new cluster and/or new EGR.

SLO Dodge gets 5+ stars, they did the work in 4 hours INCLUDING cluster replacement, net charge was $0.00! I have no codes after 250 miles driving, and the new cluster means I have some warning lights working again and a nice clean dash. I was in and out in one day from SF city, can't complain about that! Smog/reg/retirement to the foothills will commence tomorrow!

Also kudos to Dodge for standing behind their products here. SLO town is beautiful, even in the rain!

Last edited:

davisdave

2005 140 tall passenger

Sacramento area...Folsom Dodge did mine. Had the van four days but gave me a loaner car. Passed smog afterwards.

Zymurgy

Buckeye Zymurgist

Fyda Freightliner in Columbus, Ohio sort of successfully performed the recall on my 2004. However the only counties requiring e-check in Ohio are in the Cleveland area. I would not perform unless from those counties. It took 2 trips, still had to replace an out of spec shifter ($1000 on me), before a new instrument cluster (on them) could be installed.

boxer rebellion

QUICK QUESTION - Is it mandatory that you have to bring to dealership to perform the recall? If your Sprinter is running fine without any warning lights, why do the recall if there are known problems after the recall is performed?

TDfanman

QUICK QUESTION - Is it mandatory that you have to bring to dealership to perform the recall? If your Sprinter is running fine without any warning lights, why do the recall if there are known problems after the recall is performed?
Go to the thread link in the first post for more info, but IIRC the recall is a re-flash of the ECU to allow it to set a code if an EGR malfunction is detected. So the result of the re-flash is better emissions control.

Some states might not allow you to pass inspection with an open recall, some they will not check.

The known problem happens when a 2004 is re-flashed with software that is incompatible with the hardware (instrument cluster). In reading the original thread it seems like they have sorted this out. I had no problems after doing the recall on my 2005. I did mine because I want to get a tune and getting the re-flash later would require the tune to be re-written.

I had mine done at Chapman Dodge in Scottsdale AZ. It was a little dicey as when I showed up for the appointment the service writer was unsure they could do it and said "we don't have a Sprinter tech". No such concerns were raised when I made the appointment, so perhaps he was just unfamiliar. But after verifying that they had the software and knowledge to do it, I left it with them and got a call about 4 hours later that they were done. As stated I had no issues afterward. I would not go there for anything else, and probably would not risk taking a 2004 there lest they flash the wrong program.

MXHauler

Cole Dodge
San Luis Obispo, CA

Had recall done by dealership above a couple weeks ago. NO ISSUES at all and they have been "Highly Recommended" by many others in threads about this recall. I can vouch they are Very Good!

My 3500 was built in April 2005...so didn't need instrument cluster replacement.

andynewell

Another vote for Cole Dodge in SLO.

I called two locals in the San Jose CA area, Normandin and Stevens Creek. Normandin told me minimum 2 days and up to two weeks to complete. Stevens Creek Dodge told me two days minimum.

I made the 3 hour drive down to Cole, got there at 9am, had the recall and a major service done by 1pm, home by around 4.

crockej

2005, 2500, 144
Withnell Dodge, Salem, Oregon was very knowledgeable about the recall. Even the person scheduling on the phone from the service department said they had done a lot of them. When I took it in, the service manager explained about some of the problems they’ve had. I was from out of town, so he moved my van to the front of the line. It took about 3 hours and so far, all is well with the update (though, haven’t driven it much since then).

H2Disco

If you're in the San Diego area don't waste your time going to Rancho Chrysler Jeep and Dodge. Go up to Jack Powell in Escondido. Below is the review I gave Rancho on yelp and google.

I had a recall come up on my '06 Dodge Sprinter van. I ended up taking it to Jack Powell from SD since the Ranch has some very odd policies. Like, they can't make an appointment and I would have to drop off my van so it could wait until its turn came up. They said it would take about a week to get to my van. I asked why I had to physically drop off the van before they could work on it? Don't they have an appointment or reservation system or even something as simple as a pen and paper to start a list for this recall since it seems to be in pretty high demand? Oh and if I do this can I get a loaner car?

Their answer... "No, we don't do any of that."
Me, "So let me get this straight, I have to be without a car FOR A WEEK because of a mistake on the manufacturer side?"
Rancho, "Pretty much. That is our policy."
Me, "Does that not seem like a stupid policy? You can't even make an appointment for me so I can limit how long I'm to be without a car and having to pay for a rental?"
Rancho, "No for this recall we are doing them on a 1st come 1st serve basis. You'll have to drop it off."
Me, "I'm going to shop around. You guys have some pretty weird ways of taking care of your customers."

Jack Powell was very accommodating. I made an appointment, dropped off my van and they set me up with a sweet 4 door Wrangler. From now on I will be making the hour round trip drive up there for any issues or maintenance on my van from now on. Rancho lost the chance at any of my future business.

cdman1674

Has anyone done the recall in Louisiana or Houston? I have an early 2004 and don't want to have problems with the instrument cluster with a dealer that isn't aware of the issue.

eranrund

Has anyone found a dealership that's able to do this in the bay area?
I know the SLO is highly recommended but 4 hours drive each way is not going to be easy to pull, especially if they'll need to keep the vehicle for more than a few hours...
Thanks!

Has anyone found a dealership that's able to do this in the bay area?
I know the SLO is highly recommended but 4 hours drive each way is not going to be easy to pull, especially if they'll need to keep the vehicle for more than a few hours...
Thanks!
I had mine done at Normandin in San Jose, ask for Reyes. Mine was the first they had done a year ago and even though it completed successfully on my '05, he vowed to never do another, due to the lack of reimbursement and no technical support he had at the time. Not sure what the current situation is, but worth a call. Good luck!

Bob

eranrund

I had mine done at Normandin in San Jose, ask for Reyes. Mine was the first they had done a year ago and even though it completed successfully on my '05, he vowed to never do another, due to the lack of reimbursement and no technical support he had at the time. Not sure what the current situation is, but worth a call. Good luck!

Bob
Thanks Bob

Shms

If you're in the San Diego area don't waste your time going to Rancho Chrysler Jeep and Dodge. Go up to Jack Powell in Escondido. Below is the review I gave Rancho on yelp and google.

I had a recall come up on my '06 Dodge Sprinter van. I ended up taking it to Jack Powell from SD since the Ranch has some very odd policies. Like, they can't make an appointment and I would have to drop off my van so it could wait until its turn came up. They said it would take about a week to get to my van. I asked why I had to physically drop off the van before they could work on it? Don't they have an appointment or reservation system or even something as simple as a pen and paper to start a list for this recall since it seems to be in pretty high demand? Oh and if I do this can I get a loaner car?

Their answer... "No, we don't do any of that."
Me, "So let me get this straight, I have to be without a car FOR A WEEK because of a mistake on the manufacturer side?"
Rancho, "Pretty much. That is our policy."
Me, "Does that not seem like a stupid policy? You can't even make an appointment for me so I can limit how long I'm to be without a car and having to pay for a rental?"
Rancho, "No for this recall we are doing them on a 1st come 1st serve basis. You'll have to drop it off."
Me, "I'm going to shop around. You guys have some pretty weird ways of taking care of your customers."

Jack Powell was very accommodating. I made an appointment, dropped off my van and they set me up with a sweet 4 door Wrangler. From now on I will be making the hour round trip drive up there for any issues or maintenance on my van from now on. Rancho lost the chance at any of my future business.
Been scouring the main T21 Emission recall thread for a SD dealership that has their act together. So after reading your post here regarding Jack Powell in Esco, I called up the service dept, which forwarded me on to the recall agent. From what she said, they had very little experience w/ performing the recall. Did you happen to talk to the service mgr or a service tech which gave you an impression to the contrary? I have a 2006 and was set on heading up to see Cole in SLO. But happy to skip the 4 hour drive and go to Powell in Esco if these guys have their act together. Just didn't get the impression they did.

Last edited:

Top Bottom