PDA

View Full Version : S44 Connector

rvnw
10-27-2018, 02:52 AM
I recently bought a 2002 140 wb Sprinter and it has a connector labeled s44 that I found behind a small storage area on the left side of the steering wheel. Anyone know what this connector is for?

Bobnoxious
10-27-2018, 11:00 AM
I recently bought a 2002 140 wb Sprinter and it has a connector labeled s44 that I found behind a small storage area on the left side of the steering wheel. Anyone know what this connector is for?

Pictures?

Aussie 2002 4x4
10-27-2018, 11:09 AM
s44 audio connection?

rvnw
10-27-2018, 05:33 PM
Heres the picture.

autostaretx
10-27-2018, 05:59 PM
Wire colors? (most helpful in identifying things)(photo arrived while writing this: white with red stripe)
((second intense stare showed a lengthwise green stripe)) ... so it's either DG/WT/RD or WT/DG/RD in MB-speak.
Which country are you in?

2003 (close enough) US service manual (http://www.diysprinter.co.uk/reference/05%20service%20manual.pdf), wiring diagrams (but not "S44" type numbering) are section 8W.
There are "connector pin-out" pages showing the shapes and wire colors of the connectors.

Given the colors ... give me a couple of minutes to dig a bit...
(the brown is "ground")

added: by the 2003 service manual, it doesn't appear to be speakers.

My memory from another search is that the "S44" is a switch connector designation.
So it could be a rare instance of something in the harness for an option you don't have.
It's also very rare for there to be a switch without the additional wiring for illumination of the switch.

added after more digging: if what i'm seeing as "white" is really "gray" (thus GY/DG/RD), it could be the lighting circuit to the security system's Panic Alarm switch. (page 8w-39-7 of the 2003 service manual).
..but lacking the additional two wires for the Panic button itself.

Ahhh... GY/DG/RD is the general "light the switches (and lights)" circuit ... the same colors (and only 2 wires) and pin assignments (it looks like 1 and 3?) go to the ash tray lamp.

--dick

Cheyenne
10-27-2018, 06:46 PM
Ahhh... GY/DG/RD is the general "light the switches (and lights)" circuit ... the same colors (and only 2 wires) and pin assignments (it looks like 1 and 3?) go to the ash tray lamp.

--dick

So is it only 'hot' when the panel lamps are illuminated?

And does it 'dim' when the panel lamps are dimmed? (Using the - and + buttons in the speedo binnacle).

Keith.

autostaretx
10-27-2018, 08:10 PM
Does it dim? It depends where it's sourced from.

The ash tray light comes (via the daytime running lights relay) directly from the battery. No dimming.
(page 8w-44-11 in the service manual)

--dick

rvnw
10-27-2018, 08:15 PM
Wire colors gray, green, red dots
The other is brown.

So is this just a connector for a light? Seems strange!

autostaretx
10-27-2018, 08:56 PM
Wire colors gray, green, red dots
The other is brown.
And they're into pin sockets 1 and 3? (vs 1 and 2)

So is this just a connector for a light? Seems strange!
Well, what came out of that rectangular hole?

If it was an ash tray, then they had to provide power to its illumination somehow.

--dick

rvnw
10-27-2018, 09:26 PM
The thing that came out was a small storage piece of plastic. But maybe there was an option for a driver side ash tray?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quillaja
10-29-2018, 11:30 AM
Looks like it might be for that dial in the dash just above. I don't recall exactly what the wiring looked like, but when I had my dash apart recently, that "headlight angle" dial has a connector just like that. The other dash and center panel buttons have similar connectors, obviously with different pin-outs.

The cubby isn't for an ash tray AFAIK. It's just a cubby for stuff. The ECU sits right below it.

autostaretx
10-29-2018, 05:01 PM
The headlamp angle adjustment switch uses a single 10-pin connector (with only 3 wires):
Gray/Green/Rd coming in, (on pin 9)
Brown (pin 2) to ground
and
Violet/White coming out (pin 5) as four levels of voltage (tapped from the switch illumination power on pin 9) for controlling the angle.

--dick