Lowering the factory aux. battery tray?

Vanzer Pagen

Trying to fit a tall (11.25") battery in the factory tray under the hood in my '16. Just wondering if anyone has any tips, tricks or tales of caution before proceeding(?)

FWIW, replacing the factory 90ah with a Victron Super Cycle 170ah. Same width, slightly shorter, but taller.

Rock Doc

If it’s anything like my 2013, I fabricated a whole new tray when I mounted two 6V GC-1 golf cart batteries, which made it a lot easier to place the new mounting holes for the tray (using the stock nut inserts to mount the tray). I also had to relocate the ECM from under the battery tray to mount it on the front of the new tray to make space for lowering the tray.

Rock Dock
2014 Pleasureway Plateau TS in 2013 Sprinter 3500

TXdaveski

If it’s anything like my 2013, I fabricated a whole new tray when I mounted two 6V GC-1 golf cart batteries, which made it a lot easier to place the new mounting holes for the tray (using the stock nut inserts to mount the tray). I also had to relocate the ECM from under the battery tray to mount it on the front of the new tray to make space for lowering the tray.

Rock Dock
Hey Doc, can you post a photo of your bracket with the relocated ECM, I was about to do the same thing so I could mount my Honda 1kw generator under there.
Thanks

Rock Doc

Here's the write-up I did of my battery tray conversion for 2 6v batteries in the place of the stock auxiliary tray. The photos in this write-up also show how I reflected the ECU up to the front of my new battery tray. I basically attached it with heavy zip ties.As an FYI, I've additionally wrapped a piece of Reflectix around the batteries to offer a little heat shielding, as the underhood environment is a bit warmer that is optimal for batteries.

Hope this helps!

Rock Doc

Attachments

SteveTerry15

Have you altered the relay or added an isolator? Or is the battery monitor the only change to the factory electronics?

Thanks,

Steve

Rock Doc

Have you altered the relay or added an isolator? Or is the battery monitor the only change to the factory electronics?

Thanks,

Steve
I just have the stock isolator that was in the Class B coach when I bought it; the battery monitor is the only other item I added beyond the batteries. I didn’t change any of the electronics otherwise.

Rock Doc

Top Bottom