Thermostat change out time...a few questions...

idpv

03 T1N 2500
My coolant temp level has settled down to about 145 under most driving conditions, but gets up to 180+/- if climbing mountain passes-- with winter coming, I have ordered a new thermostat and housing. I have been able to crack the attachment screws with a torx-30 driver. I have removed assorted hoses in the way, and drained the system via the 3/4" cross over pipe at the base of the radiator, which I also plan to change. Can't seem to find the drain cock on the left side?
The rig has the same antifreeze in it that came with it in 2012--no idea if it is the "correct" stuff or just prestone. It is green. Is there a way to tell the difference between OAT and HOAT antifreeze ? Will an antifreeze density ( mix) checker provide any info?
So, I bought a couple of gallons of the Zerex GO5. Nowhere can I find the correct total antifreeze solution capacity-- I got about 2 gallons out, but have not pulled the drain on the block yet.
Anybody know what total coolant capacity is on a 2003 T1n 2500? I'm considering flushing the system, if it is really necessary....is it? Seems like another big mess to make...
It appears to be necessary to remove the oil filter & cap to make the access workable to change the housing. I plan to stuff a clean rag in the opening so errant screws don't go far....
It is probably tough to get the little rubber o-ring seal to stay in the housing while installing the housing: suggestions? A little soft-mix permatex to glue it in the recess?
In exploring under the vehicle during the planning process, I found what I believe to be a block heater on the pass side of the block-- wires are all wrapped in an aluminum-foil product, go to the cross-over hose at the base of the radiator, and go into a plug connector ( not a US 120V type) then disappear into the harness...If this is a block heater, where does the plug-in plug live? Wish I had noticed this before....
Advice is welcome, Thanks,
Charlie in Idaho

B

billintomahawk

Coolant capacity 10.5 qts.
If you get it ll out.
Can't help with how to do that.
I changed my water pump and pulled every hose and got it dry that way.

When you refill run it check it run it check it run it check it.

Your block heater sounds like mine.
The plug is jammed up somewhere so fish it out.
FWIW I stripped off the rotten foil and zip tied it where it's handy.

My experiences. '02 Freightliner.
I did not change my thermostat. It had just been done.

bill in tomahawk

Last edited by a moderator:
B

billintomahawk

- ENGINE COOLANT ETHYLENE-GLYCOL MIXTURES CAUTION: Richer antifreeze mixtures cannot be measured with normal field equipment and can cause problems associated with 100 percent ethyl-ene-glycol. The required ethylene-glycol (antifreeze) and water mixture depends upon the climate and vehicle oper-ating conditions. The recommended mixture of 50/50 ethylene-glycol and water will provide protection against freezing to -37° C (-34° F). The antifreeze concentrationmust alwaysbe a minimum of 44 per-cent, year-round in all climates.If percentage is lower than 44 percent, engine parts may be eroded by cavitation, and cooling system com-ponents may be severely damaged by corrosion. Maximum protection against freezing is provided with a 68 percent antifreeze concentration, which prevents freezing down to -67.7° C (-90° F). A higher percentage will freeze at a warmer temperature. Also, a higher percentage of antifreeze can cause the VALUBRICATION & MAINTENANCE 0 - 1
engine to overheat because the specific heat of anti-freeze is lower than that of water. Use of 100 percent ethylene-glycol will cause for-mation of additive deposits in the system, as the cor-rosion inhibitive additives in ethylene-glycol require the presence of water to dissolve. The deposits act as insulation, causing temperatures to rise. The increased temperature can result in engine detona-tion. In addition, 100 percent ethylene-glycol freezes at -22° C (-8° F ). PROPYLENE-GLYCOL MIXTURES It’s overall effective temperature range is smaller than that of ethylene-glycol. The freeze point of 50/50 propylene-glycol and water is -32° C (-26° F), 10° C higher than ethylene-glycol’s freeze point. The boiling point (protection against summer boil-over) of propy-lene-glycol is 125° C (257°F)at96.5 kPa (14 psi), compared to 128° C (263° F) for ethylene-glycol. Pro-pylene glycol also has slightly poorer heat transfer characteristics than ethylene glycol. This can increase cylinder head temperatures under certain conditions. Propylene-glycol/ethylene-glycol mixtures can cause the destabilization of various corrosion inhibitors, causing damage to the various cooling system compo-nents. Also, once ethylene-glycol and propylene-glycol based coolants are mixed in the vehicle, conventional methods of determining freeze point will not be accu-rate. Both the refractive index and specific gravity differ between ethylene glycol and propylene glycol. DESCRIPTION - HOAT COOLANT WARNING: ANTIFREEZE IS AN ETHYLENE-GLYCOL BASE COOLANT AND IS HARMFUL IF SWAL-LOWED OR INHALED. IF SWALLOWED, DRINK TWO GLASSES OF WATER AND INDUCE VOMIT-ING. IF INHALED, MOVE TO FRESH AIR AREA. SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY. DO NOT STORE IN OPEN OR UNMARKED CONTAINERS. WASH SKIN AND CLOTHING THOROUGHLY AFTER COMING IN CONTACT WITH ETHYLENE-GLYCOL. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. DISPOSE OF GLYCOL BASE COOLANT PROPERLY, CONTACT YOUR DEALER OR GOVERNMENT AGENCY FOR LOCATION OF COLLECTION CENTER IN YOUR AREA. DO NOT OPEN A COOLING SYSTEM WHEN THE ENGINE IS AT OPERATING TEMPERATURE OR HOT UNDER PRESSURE, PERSONAL INJURY CAN RESULT. AVOID RADIATOR COOLING FAN WHEN ENGINE COMPARTMENT RELATED SERVICE IS PERFORMED, PERSONAL INJURY CAN RESULT. CAUTION: Use of Propylene-Glycol based coolants is not recommended, as they provide less freeze protection and less corrosion protection. The cooling system is designed around the coolant. The coolant must accept heat from engine metal, in the cylinder head area near the exhaust valves and engine block. Then coolant carries the heat to the radiator where the tube/fin radiator can transfer the heat to the air. The use of aluminum cylinder blocks, cylinder heads, and water pumps requires special corrosion protection. Mopart Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769), or the equiva-lent ethylene-glycol base coolant with organic corro-sion inhibitors (called HOAT, for Hybrid Organic Additive Technology) is recommended. This coolant offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when mixed with 50% ethylene-glycol and 50% distilled water to obtain a freeze point of -37°C (-34°F). If it loses color or becomes contaminated, drain, flush, and replace with fresh properly mixed coolant solu-tion. CAUTION: MoparT Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769) may not be mixed with any other type of antifreeze. Mixing of coolants other than specified (non-HOAT), may result in engine damage that may not be covered under the new vehicle warranty, and decreased cor-rosion protection. COOLANT PERFORMANCE The required ethylene-glycol (antifreeze) and water mixture depends upon climate and vehicle operating conditions. The coolant performance of various mix-tures follows: Pure Water-Water can absorb more heat than a mixture of water and ethylene-glycol. This is for pur-pose of heat transfer only. Water also freezes at a higher temperature and allows corrosion. 100 percent Ethylene-Glycol-The corrosion inhibiting additives in ethylene-glycol need the pres-ence of water to dissolve. Without water, additives form deposits in system. These act as insulation causing temperature to rise. The increased tempera-ture can result in engine detonation. In addition, 100 percent ethylene-glycol freezes at -22°C (-8°F). 50/50 Ethylene-Glycol and Water-Is the recom-mended mixture, it provides protection against freez-ing to -37°C (-34°F). The antifreeze concentration must alwaysbe a minimum of 44 percent, year-round in all climates. If percentage is lower, engine parts may be eroded by cavitation. Maximum protec-tion against freezing is provided with a 68 percent antifreeze concentration, which prevents freezing 0 - 2 LUBRICATION & MAINTENANCEVA FLUID TYPES (Continued)
down to -67.7°C (-90°F). A higher percentage will freeze at a warmer temperature. Also, a higher per-centage of antifreeze can cause the engine to over-heat because specific heat of antifreeze is lower than that of water. CAUTION: Richer antifreeze mixtures cannot be measured with normal field equipment and can cause problems associated with 100 percent ethyl-ene-glycol. COOLANT SELECTION AND ADDITIVES The use of aluminum cylinder blocks, cylinder heads and water pumps requires special corrosion protection. Only Mopart Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (glycol base coolant with corrosion inhibitors called HOAT, for Hybrid Organic Additive Technology) is recommended. This coolant offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when mixed with 50% distilled water to obtain to obtain a freeze point of -37°C (-34°F). If it loses color or becomes contaminated, drain, flush, and replace with fresh properly mixed coolant solution. CAUTION: Do not use coolant additives that are claimed to improve engine cooling. DESCRIPTION - AXLE NOTE: DaimlerChrysler recommends MoparT lubri-cant or lubricant conforming to MS-8985. REAR AXLE ≤ Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant SAE 75W-140 DESCRIPTION - BRAKE FLUID NOTE: DaimlerChrysler recommends using DOT- 4 or equivalent brake fluid. BRAKE FLUID ≤ DOT-4 or equivalent brake fluid. DESCRIPTION - POWER STEERING FLUID NOTE: DaimlerChrysler recommends using Mopar ATF+4 Automatic Transmission fluid or equivalent. POWER STEERING FLUID ≤ Mopar ATF+4 Automatic Transmission fluid or equivalent. DESCRIPTION - ENGINE OIL - DIESEL ENGINES SAE VISCOSITY GRADE CAUTION: Low viscosity oils must have the proper API quality. The engine manufacturer strongly recommends the use of synthetic engine oils, such as Mobilt 1 SAE 0W-40. We strongly recommend engine oils that meet the requirements of the API Service Category CI-4 and meet the requirements of Material Standard MS-6395. Use Mopar or an equivalent oil meeting the specification MS-6395. Do not add any materials (other than leak detec-tion dyes) to the engine oil. Engine oil is an engi-neered product and it’s performance may be impaired by supplemental additives. When topping off engine oil, only use oil of the same quality grade and SAE classification. The SAE class (viscosity) should be selected in accordance with the average air temperature for the season of the year. The temperature limits given for the different SAE classes should be regarded as guidelines which may be exceeded temporarily to avoid excessively frequent engine oil changes. OIL VISCOSITY CHART VALUBRICATION & MAINTENANCE 0 - 3 FLUID TYPES (Continued)
Full synthetic oils, such as Mobilt 1 0W-40, is required if the ASSYST Oil Service Reminder is fol-lowed. Use of a lower quality oil on this service schedule may cause severe engine damage. DESCRIPTION - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID - NAG1 NOTE: Refer to Service Procedures in this group for fluid level checking procedures. Shellt 3403 Automatic Transmission Fluid is the recommended fluid for the NAG1 DaimlerChrysler automatic transmission. Dexron II fluid IS NOT recommended. Clutch chatter can result from the use of improper fluid. Mopart ATF+4, Automatic Transmission

DESCRIPTION SPECIFICATION ENGINE COOLANT 10 Liters10.5 Quarts ENGINE OIL 9.0L with Filter Replacement 9.5 Quarts with Filter Replacement AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION Service Fill - NAG1 5.0 L (10.6 pts.) O-haul Fill - NAG1 7.7 L (16.3 pts.) Dry fill capacity Depending on type and size of internal cooler, length and inside diameter of cooler lines, or use of an auxiliary cooler, these figures may vary. (Refer to appropriate 21 - TRANSMISSION/ AUTOMATIC/FLUID - STANDARD PROCEDURE). REAR AXLE ± .03L (1 oz.) 8 1/21.8 L (4.0 pts.) FUEL TANK Primary100 L (26.4 gal.)* Reserve10.5 L (2.8 gal.)* *Nominal refill capacities are shown. A variation may be observed from vehicle to vehicle due to manufacturing tolerance and refill procedure POWER STEERING SYSTEM Power steering fluid capacities are dependent on engine/chassis options as well as steering gear/cooler options. Depending on type and size of internal cooler, length and inside diameter of cooler lines, or use of an auxiliary cooler, these capacities may vary. Refer to 19, Steering for proper fill and bleed procedures.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom