What's a reliable cold weather battery?

I did a search to little avail.

Old man winter is approaching....For those of you living in cold temperatures, what are the reliable "go-to" batteries that start your vans right up? It can get to -25 F up here. :crazy:

D

Deleted member 50714

Many will argue, but I advocate genuine parts, Especially for German cars. Mercedes engineers are persnickety about tolerances. Subtle differences between materials and manufacturing processes can cause unnecessary grief and aggravation not worth the price difference. Genuine Mercedes battery.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The original battery shipped in 2005 Sprinters was made by Varta.

They were, indeed, very good (i shouldn't have replaced mine only because it was over 7 years old)

--dick

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The secret to an easy start in cold weather.

1: Use correct oil. A synthetic 0W-40.

2. Warm the battery if possible (battery warmer blankets plugged in, on a timer).

3. Warm the engine. Espard D5 pre-heater/booster (timer or manual), Block heater etc.

4. Have the correct battery. The specified battery is big and heavy. A pure lead AGM will provide better cranking amps when cold. But any decent AGM will work. Odyssey the top of the pile, but Lifeline (pricey!) may have an offering that fits.

+1 on preheating.

If money isn't an object, and they are available here, the Varta batteries do seem to have a good track record.

If money is an object, given a choice of Group 49 H8 batteries I would say that the heavier the battery's actual weight, or shipping weight, the better it will be for cold weather.

Start Battery Replacement Information
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52421

:cheers: vic

Last edited:

When I was in Walmart Automotive buying tires

If money is an object you could check with them. Since I plan to travel in the USA and their service and warranty is , I would consider thm.

bill in tomahawk
I'm not saying that it isn't a good deal, but copy and keep the receipt safe.

I have been using these batteries in my T1N EverStart Maxx Lead Acid Automotive Battery, Group Size H8 $122.76 They come with a three year replacement warrantee, but tend to die at about 2 1/2 years here in S Florida. On my last truck, I got 3 free battery replacements over the life of the truck. On this truck, I am on my first free replacement (last month) after buying the original one 2.5 years ago.

Yes they are not great batteries, but they are cheap, and from my experience you only need to buy one for the life of the vehicle.

PS make sure you keep your receipt. ( I make a lazer/photo copy of the thermal receipt from Walmart, and tape it to the battery in a sealed zip loc bag.)
vic

Added:

Everstart Maxx H8

Specifications
Battery Type: Lead Acid
Model No.: MAXX-H8
Shipping Weight (in pounds): 59.2
Product in Inches (L x W x H): 13.9 x 6.9 x 7.5

If accurate for actual weight, 59# is at the higher end of Group 49 H8 battery weight. The Everstart Maxx reviews ain't so great. Maybe my "heavier is better" advice isn't worth much?

From a Walmart review:
"Took to Wally world and they tested it as bad, so offered a pro-rated amount towards a new one. Once all was said and done, they said, "Oh, by the way, the new battery you just bought only comes with whatever warranty was left on your old battery, not the 5-years it says on it." At that point, I had them void the sale since I was paying more for a battery with half a warranty, than if I just took the pro-rated refund and bought a new battery with warranty. Too many people I know who have these have had them go all the sudden long before the warranty period was up. I'm not leaving my fate on the side of the road to these batteries again. You'll take your chances here... "

Last edited:

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Anything is better than Everstart Maxx, I got it from Walmart, 1st died at 1.5 yrs, free replacement went 1.5 yrs only
AC Delco went 6 I think was at Costco

Top Bottom