Rear Brake Pads

seadawg

2004 NAFTA Dodge Sprinter
I have a 2004 Sprinter. The front brakes were a breeze. Very easy to install. Took one of the rears apart and now can't get the pads to fit into the calipers. I am replacing the pad that has springs that go into the pistons first and then I will put the other pad on. Problem is I can't get the pad into the place where it is supposed to sit. I have looked at the pad and compared it to the old one and it looks like it should fit fine but when I go to put it in the edge of the pad gets hung on the caliper These are the ATE calipers. Thanks for any advice.

mendonsy

It is not all that unusual for aftermarket pads to be just a touch large (or small). There is also the possibility of corrosion buildup on the caliper. If it is only off by a small amount, you probably have the correct pad and just need to file them down a bit. Be sure to clean up the caliper first. My Sprinter isn't here this weekend so I can't go out and look at it.

seadawg

2004 NAFTA Dodge Sprinter
It is not all that unusual for aftermarket pads to be just a touch large (or small). There is also the possibility of corrosion buildup on the caliper. If it is only off by a small amount, you probably have the correct pad and just need to file them down a bit. Be sure to clean up the caliper first. My Sprinter isn't here this weekend so I can't go out and look at it.
Thanks Mendonsy: That was the first thng I tried. I thought of filing the pads down but b/c I have done this before with different things and come to find out there was a better way I decided to step back and have a cool glass of water. Watch some golf on TV and then look at the problem again. in doing some research I see that you need to remove the clip from the breaks on the rear. If you do not it puts tension on the caliper which pulls the caliper down and makes it so that the pads don't fit. As soon as I saw that there were only a few curse words that came out of my mouth as I figured out how to get the clip back on. I know for nest time.

Charlie

Top Bottom