PDA

View Full Version : General swivel base question

IPT
10-12-2018, 05:06 PM
Seems with some bases you need to open the door to swivel, and some not. Apparently from what I have read, having the arm rests makes it more likely you will need to open the door. Are there in fact swivels that you can use, with the factory arm rests, and not have to open the door to swivel? Obviously the arm rest makes the seat wider.

Wheeljack
10-12-2018, 05:16 PM
Seems with some bases you need to open the door to swivel, and some not. Apparently from what I have read, having the arm rests makes it more likely you will need to open the door. Are there in fact swivels that you can use, with the factory arm rests, and not have to open the door to swivel? Obviously the arm rest makes the seat wider.

Yes, there are several types with offset pivots that the door does not need to open to swivel, even with arm rests. You will have to manage the fore/aft seat position to make it rotate with out running into the door or b-pillar, but not really an issue. I use the Eurocamper swivels, which are imported from Europe, with my seats with factory arm rests, and do not need to open the door to swivel.

IPT
10-12-2018, 05:58 PM
Yes, there are several types with offset pivots that the door does not need to open to swivel, even with arm rests.

Thanks Wheeljack - I'm looking for one specifically with the lower rise height like the FASP or the Alpine one (both I think are 1" or lower). I'm 6'3 so the closer it stays to stock the better. I think the Eurocamper is a little over a 2" rise, maybe 3", yeah?

At the end of the day I'll trade opening the door for the lower height, but if I can have both all the better!

96r50
10-12-2018, 06:36 PM
The ones from Alpine Mechanisms will allow a seat with an armrest to swivel without opening the doors. I have them and they are a great product.

IPT
10-12-2018, 07:42 PM
The ones from Alpine Mechanisms will allow a seat with an armrest to swivel without opening the doors. I have them and they are a great product.

Ah, good to know. They are also currently out of stock :(.

Anyone know if the FASP ones allow you to swivel with the door closed? They are also low profile and I think very similar to the Alpine ones.

Wheeljack
10-12-2018, 09:03 PM
Thanks Wheeljack - I'm looking for one specifically with the lower rise height like the FASP or the Alpine one (both I think are 1" or lower). I'm 6'3 so the closer it stays to stock the better. I think the Eurocamper is a little over a 2" rise, maybe 3", yeah?

At the end of the day I'll trade opening the door for the lower height, but if I can have both all the better!

The drawing shows 48mm rise, so roughly 2". I couldn't swallow the price on the Alpine units. I don't doubt their superiority, but at 2X the price, I am of the opinion they are price gouging a little bit.

I installed the shorter seat pedestals at the same time, so I actually ended up about the same height in the end.

IPT
10-12-2018, 09:48 PM
The drawing shows 48mm rise, so roughly 2". I couldn't swallow the price on the Alpine units. I don't doubt their superiority, but at 2X the price, I am of the opinion they are price gouging a little bit.

I installed the shorter seat pedestals at the same time, so I actually ended up about the same height in the end.

Cool, and yes their price is a bit exorbitant. Not sure it's worth it yet either as there are other low rise swivels. Question is, can you swivel them without opening the door? On a rainy (or snowy) day, that feature would be nice. Is it worth an additional $500? That I am not so sure about. Though at least i will educate myself to all of the options before I decide to take the plunge of not. Thanks for the input!