PDA

View Full Version : Standard vs. optional vs. aftermarket 3500 cargo van suspension?

The Grand Tour
10-09-2018, 09:29 PM
What, specifically, is the difference between the standard suspension and the various optional suspension packages available on the 9,990 GVWR dual rear wheel 4x2 170" extended cargo van?

And how do those compare to the aftermarket stuff that's available? I'm looking specifically, at something like Suspension Package "B" offered by sprinterupgrades.com. It includes a 1.5" Hellwig rear sway bar kit, a pair of Koni FSD rear shocks, and a set of four SumoSprings. This would not involve replacing the front struts.

My question would be within the context of a Sprinter converted for full-time living, with 600 pounds of motorcycles in the back.

The Grand Tour
10-11-2018, 12:08 AM
Nobody???

mikeme
10-11-2018, 12:25 AM
MB offers options for suspension to enable higher weights. (and higher center of gravity) whether you need this or not depends on how much you plan to add (or have added) to the vehicle, and the balance front and rear.

aftermarket parts can make up for some shortfalls, and in some cases can offer what folks like as better handling.

but there is no free lunch.

if you plan to live in the van, do you plan to move every day, or very often?

do you plan to DIY, or have an outfit modify a van you purchase?

The Grand Tour
10-11-2018, 03:41 AM
We plan to do the conversion ourselves, as well as any aftermarket suspension upgrades.

mikeme
10-11-2018, 11:30 AM
This gets tricky.

how confident are you that you know how much the unit will weigh after you are done with the conversion?

Sounds like a fun project. but living full time, and also carrying motorcycles inside? seems like quite a planning challenge.

if it was me, I would order the max capability, do the conversion, and see how it goes.

the biggest bang in an aftermarket upgrade would be an air suspension. this is also the most expensive. https://www.sprinterstore.com/product/sprinter-3500-glide-rite-air-bag-suspension-system-4-bag/