PDA

View Full Version : Steam from roof AC

Midnightmoon
10-06-2018, 09:23 PM
Has anyone noticed steam coming from the top of the roof AC while running. It appears to be venting directly out of the fans. We have been having heavy rains and high humidity here lately and I'm assuming that it is just moisture coming out under operation. However, I've never noticed this before.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Midnightmoon
10-07-2018, 11:06 PM
Here's a picture of it in action.

outbound
10-08-2018, 12:40 AM
from the looks of the trees, you're in PA (https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=40.0101&lon=-79.555), yes?

under high humidity conditions, would think that's 'normal' in that the condensor coil is getting pretty warm, so with lots water in the air,
in just cool enough ambient - it's like... 'fog' ? (until the coil gets good n warm, then should dissipate..)

Midnightmoon
10-08-2018, 01:03 AM
from the looks of the trees, you're in PA (https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=40.0101&lon=-79.555), yes?

under high humidity conditions, would think that's 'normal' in that the condensor coil is getting pretty warm, so with lots water in the air,
in just cool enough ambient - it's like... 'fog' ? (until the coil gets good n warm, then should dissipate..)

Yes we are in PA and we have been experiencing unprecedented amounts of rain and high heat/humidity. It lasts 3-5 min after starting the unit and then goes away and doesn't come back again under operation. The unit cools normally and has no unusual noises or smells.

It just has me a little concerned since I've never noticed something like this in the 3+ years we have owned the van. Could it be that this is just the right conditions for this to occur? :idunno:

irvingj
10-08-2018, 08:38 AM
The discharge line on a refrigeration compressor, under heavy load, can indeed get very hot. If the whole unit had a bunch of moisture all over it, yes, it can "steam" off the water when it gets under way and up to temp. Once the condensation is boiled off, it'll stay hot enough to keep it dry...hence the fog after a couple minutes of running, then nothing afterward...