PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade

enjoitheride
09-30-2018, 06:12 PM
Hey, Guys. I bought a 2018 170 4x4 back in April. I was wondering if anyone thought it would be worthwhile to upgrade to a 2019 given the changes?

My 18 is a mid tier model. Heated power mirrors, roof rails, auxiliary heater, navigation, DSR, fog lights. Wasnít sure if the VS30 would be a worthy upgrade.

Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobnoxious
09-30-2018, 06:25 PM
I would avoid first model year. Especially from a new factory. Give them time to work out the production bugs. I cannot present data.

enjoitheride
09-30-2018, 06:42 PM
I would avoid first model year. Especially from a new factory. Give them time to work out the production bugs. I cannot present data.

Yeah, I was thinking that. I do like the front end of the current model, but I wasnít sure if really getting a new van would be worth it.

Bobnoxious
09-30-2018, 07:01 PM
I am going to wait to see if the four-cylinder diesel returns.

enjoitheride
09-30-2018, 07:05 PM
I am going to wait to see if the four-cylinder diesel returns.

Is that what you have now? I wanted 4x4, as I have a super steep drive, and frequent many eastern states in winter.

4wheeldog
09-30-2018, 08:19 PM
Is that what you have now? I wanted 4x4, as I have a super steep drive, and frequent many eastern states in winter.

So far, it appears that the new 4X4 will still be built in Germany, for now.

And the only apparent major improvement to the driveline may be the 7 speed trannie, replacing the 5 speed.

I have a 2018 4X4, and the trannie is the worst part of the machine, as a whole. But not so bad that I would want to spend thousands of dollars for the improved version.

Bobnoxious
09-30-2018, 08:28 PM

Yes, and understand why you desire a 4x4 back east.

enjoitheride
09-30-2018, 08:49 PM

And the only apparent major improvement to the driveline may be the 7 speed trannie, replacing the 5 speed.

I have a 2018 4X4, and the trannie is the worst part of the machine, as a whole. But not so bad that I would want to spend thousands of dollars for the improved version.

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. The updated dash is nice, but the new Trans was appealing. However, I donít know if taking a loss, and then starting over is a good idea.

aksotar
09-30-2018, 09:13 PM
you’d give up the last model that has been improved for several years for a brand new one that may or may not suffer teething problems ?!?! let alone waiting for aftermarket accessories to be developed for it ?
in every day driving do you really think you’d notice that much of a difference btwn a 5 spd and a 7 spd tranny ??
as far as the dash, I installed an Alpine Halo 9 deck, I can bluetooth all my equip thru it not to mention the day and night sound quality improvement (I also have a J&L amp+sub and Focal spkrs) but mine has been heavily sound deadened and insulated...
just askin.....

enjoitheride
09-30-2018, 09:43 PM
youíd give up the last model that has been improved for several years for a brand new one that may or may not suffer teething problems ?!?! let alone waiting for aftermarket accessories to be developed for it ?
in every day driving do you really think youíd notice that much of a difference btwn a 5 spd and a 7 spd tranny ??
as far as the dash, I installed an Alpine Halo 9 deck, I can bluetooth all my equip thru it not to mention the day and night sound quality improvement (I also have a J&L amp+sub and Focal spkrs) but mine has been heavily sound deadened and insulated...
just askin.....

No, I was just seeing what people thought. I was looking at a kenwood HD touchscreen deck on Crutchfield.

ENMeyer
09-30-2018, 09:43 PM
The thought of another build-out of a van keeps me enjoying my "old" van.

enjoitheride
09-30-2018, 10:12 PM
The thought of another build-out of a van keeps me enjoying my "old" van.

Haha, this is true.

Sprinter SS
09-30-2018, 10:53 PM

I have a 2018 4X4, and the trannie is the worst part of the machine, as a whole. But not so bad that I would want to spend thousands of dollars for the improved version.Not to mention the 5 speed is rock solid reliable. Granted shifts can we wacky sometimes but the 7gtronic is lil more technical and has it's own group of personality traits! I have a GL350 that uses the OM642/7spd and it will occasionally shift from 1st too quick under light throttle, 2nd gear is a tad tall when it does that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

enjoitheride
09-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Not to mention the 5 speed is rock solid reliable. Granted shifts can we wacky sometimes but the 7gtronic is lil more technical and has it's own group of personality traits! I have a GL350 that uses the OM642/7spd and it will occasionally shift from 1st too quick under light throttle, 2nd gear is a tad tall when it does that.

Maybe Iíll just stick with my 18. It had time to get all the bugs worked out, and the engine and transmission are pretty stout.

aksotar
09-30-2018, 11:50 PM
itís going to be awhile before they start 4x4 production here anyways....
more than a 7 spd tranny, I wish they had some sort of locking differentials...
the Halo is pretty nice.. 9Ē touchscreen... floats in front of the dash, miles on dirt trails havenít caused so much as a hiccup, any and everything bluetooth can be configured to show which is nice..
it was the only large screen at that time, I havenít looked at whats new...

enjoitheride
09-30-2018, 11:55 PM
itís going to be awhile before they start 4x4 production here anyways....

more than a 7 spd tranny, I wish they had some sort of locking differentials...

the Halo is pretty nice.. 9Ē touchscreen... floats in front of the dash, miles on dirt trails havenít caused so much as a hiccup, any and everything bluetooth can be configured to show which is nice..

it was the only large screen at that time, I havenít looked at whats new...

Youíll have to post a pic. Not sure Iíve ever seen that unit, yet alone it installed.

4wheeldog
10-01-2018, 03:19 PM
Not to mention the 5 speed is rock solid reliable. Granted shifts can we wacky sometimes but the 7gtronic is lil more technical and has it's own group of personality traits! I have a GL350 that uses the OM642/7spd and it will occasionally shift from 1st too quick under light throttle, 2nd gear is a tad tall when it does that.

Yup, reliable and proven is good.
What I would really like is a 7spd manual trannie.
But then I am old, and the Sprinter is only my third AT in a lifetime of many manual transmission vehicles.
Maybe if I manage to get even older, I will start to appreciate automatic transmissions.
But I doubt it.

enjoitheride
10-01-2018, 04:52 PM
Yup, reliable and proven is good.

What I would really like is a 7spd manual trannie.

But then I am old, and the Sprinter is only my third AT in a lifetime of many manual transmission vehicles.

Maybe if I manage to get even older, I will start to appreciate automatic transmissions.

But I doubt it.

Man, a manual would be amazing. This is my first automatic in all my life. Took some time getting used to. I still make my GTI for a manual I guess.