Crafter's reputation taking a hit

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Been reading a lot of negative comments in the UK about the Crafty Crafter lately.

Some hugely discounted deals now available on them (up to £10k under equivalent Sprinter). Sounds good at first but… it’s getting harder to deny that they appear to be utterly besieged by DPF problems.

One client has three on his fleet, says he won’t be having any more inspite of VW’s imminent warranty extension from three to four years. One van needed nine visits by VW support, DPF fault every time. He says the Sprinters may be more expensive, but the five he has haven’t suffered in the same way.

Another client’s Crafter has had three turbos and three exhaust manifolds in under 90,000m.

Numerous other reports involving steering rack failures, and one van that had to have two wishbones replaced within 20,000m.

Another colleague has returned his Crafter which was on contract hire, apparently because of DPF faults caused by the previous hirer not acting on the warning light. He has now issued an instruction sheet to his drivers detailing how to initiate a regenerative cycle in order to reset the system before permanent damage occurs.

The NCV3 has had its share of DPF haters but I wonder why people are having these problems with the Crafter, seemingly more so than with the Sprinter? The people who are making these comments run Sprinters too, yet fewer parallels appear to have been heard. One can imagine the DPFs, sensors and hardware are the same as the Sprinter's. They have different software though...

Remaining confidence appears to be rapidly draining at present, which is a shame: it's very competitively priced and arguably better styled than the Merc. It's got a lot going for it, retaining the much loved I5 from the T1N and VW's version of Sprintshift. The thing which stopped me buying one was the poor commercial dealer support in Europe. Relying on a car showroom's workshop with limited commercial model experience doesn't do it for me but I still smile when I see one of those distinctive snouts coming the other way.

Last edited:

SPRINTERUK

HERE TO HELP
we have a lot of comments from crafter owners about the poor vw dealers
we supply a few of these people as they share quite a few parts
we find the mercedes price on parts are a lot cheaper that the vw supplied part
maybe thats why the vans are sold cheaper make it up on the after sales
simon i think the sprinter looks better my choice
chris

chris

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
i think the 2 are ugly but the crafter must have been designed by someone blindfolded :idunno: who could have stood back and looked at the front of that monstrosity and said hmm thats nice:crazy:,thats interesting about them having the i5, anyway over here in ireland the sprinter is the one giving trouble turbos/suspension and other problems:shifty: the word around the campfire is merc :censored: up and some are calling them a pile of :censored:, any ive seen carrying weight look like they are in short unable too:shhh:.

if someone said ill swap a new ncv3 for you t1n id tell them to :censored:.

max.......:lol:

Tribunius

anyway over here in ireland the sprinter is the one giving trouble turbos/suspension and other problems:shifty: the word around the campfire is merc :censored: up and some are calling them a pile of :censored:, any ive seen carrying weight look like they are in short unable too:shhh:.
QUOTE]

Sounds like people are exceeding their vehicles gvwr.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
anyway over here in ireland the sprinter is the one giving trouble turbos/suspension and other problems:shifty: the word around the campfire is merc :censored: up and some are calling them a pile of :censored:, any ive seen carrying weight look like they are in short unable too:shhh:.
QUOTE]

Sounds like people are exceeding their vehicles gvwr.
You got it spot on with the exacting correct comment,:clapping: couldn't have said it better.

Here is a comment fro the TUV DOT in England Germany and Ireland etc. and a ref to Mercedes withdrawing a certified GVM weight from it's range.

Due to the economic climate and the high cost of fuel for transport operators. What has become obvious is the switch from 7 tonne vehicles to the lesser weight variant;/'s type Mercedes Sprinter; come similar vehicles that are rated at a lower GVM as to the available cubic capacity to haul loads exceeding the designated GVM range inside of a huge box, hence overloading=suspension problems.

Speed limiters being introduced to as low as 65 MPH on Highways 50 MPH in service or high density areas equally! Operators are using every trick in the book to increase loads, to reduce operating costs as to low profit margins and or plain old greed.

Different strokes for different folks some with brains others without in part borne out of total arrogance and in the main how a Sprinter is sold from the lot.

How many folk are out there, that have gone to buy a Sprinter! Looked at price and size and bought purely on the basis of just that, without considering is this going to be suitable for my operation?

Buy a 2 series NCV and use it as if it's a 3 series and so on is asking for potential problems.

The fault lies in the main with dealerships, first priority is to sell inventory stocks; as most don't want to order in, and well buyers want it now, not yesterday in most cases.

I have yet to meet a dealer that actually asks the potential customer as to! Sir what are your requirements of use for your business. lets sit down and talk it over as they just don't want to know, or have no idea as to what to offer a customer. hence forum complaints result.

Sorry in the mainstream the dealers will lie and avoid questions Arthur Daley's Crafty Krafters are a Mercedes and are no worse than a Mercedes Proper.

Euro 4 pots smallest engine, fuel efficient yes if delivering letters of condolence or a bunch of flowers to the deceased:eek: but extra long wheel base and mega top, come on both turbos will blow a gasket if pushed to hard.

I've to the conclusion negativity rules this forum and no one wants to learn except bitch.

I'm positive I know my van is not perfect for certain applications , So What! Van is ? However Mercedes-Benz Vans: Love Your work
There are none better to match.

Who stuffed up with the uprated 3.2 Vito variant with drawn from France Italy and UK I think not the van but old axle road limits that put the vans range out of a defined and designated passenger variant.TAX.. caused that issue.
Max look back into the Sprinters history with Ireland and ask why dual was retained on 3.5 T variant chassis vans, when a single rear wheel variant on a 901-3 chassis could be set to 4.4 Tonne Metric thus avoiding the 401 chassis variant:idunno: answer road axle limits tax discs loss of revenue, and changing over of the definition as to what is designated passenger to pure commercial ratings.

How many tri-axles Sprinters are there in Europe:hmmm: let alone N/America,:thinking: and ask who is preventing the option, and as to who is behind the reasoning of circumventing progression.

How many sprinters out there with a 2000KG front axle option/ with the option of a heavier suspension.
I Like the witch craft of the Crafty Krafters by the Germanic workx's:bounce:
Richard. Note: we really need more great people Like Andy Jon Seek and Chris to help us to understand the limits of a sprinter and it's operational limits.

312 diesel (closed)

Look at the number of long wheelbase high top Sprinters around. People buy them because they're "big". Yet most don't realise that the payload is actually less than on the shorter and lower versions because the kerb weight is higher.

You see people on here messing about with after market air suspension. Yet you have to ask why? The only proper solution to the vehicle exceeding the manufacturer's design weight is to buy a vehicle with a greater gross weight.

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
well nearly every ncv3 that has something on board is overloaded by the looks of it "on its knees" as we say and "couldnt pull skin off custard" or "couldnt pull you out of bed" a bigger box but unable to do anything in it.:eek:

max.......:snore:

ctmcdaniel

Cross Member
I can report that Fake Crafters have so far been very reliable.

I'm out in Colorado and even at 10,000 feet over the passes pulling a trailer I was passing people.... what magic is happening that i can not fell the differcene in performance at alltitude?

As to the look of the Crafter vs Sprinter, before the change from Sprinter to Fake Crafter no on called my truck "Tite".

Tom McD

Last edited:

Top Bottom