Had a chance to drive the 2019 Sprinter

marcwestbmw

I had a chance to spend some time driving the new 2019 Sprinter. It is definitely more advanced than the current version. I believe those waiting for it will be very pleased. Especially if you like more available creature comforts and a little more technology.

The static display units will be at the dealerships shortly.

DCgasman

Regarding the "static display units":

MB dealers have been told they will be getting from 1 to 3 Sprinters for marketing purposes but "At this time, these units are not eligible to be driven on public roads or sold."

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT

MB dealers have been told they will be getting from 1 to 3 Sprinters for marketing purposes but "At this time, these units are not eligible to be driven on public roads or sold."
They are all in permanent LHM. :smirk:

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD

Probably because they don't yet have all the US government safety and emissions certifications completed. Just a guess.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream

sailquik

Mike has it right!
The 2019's are not certified yet, so a few of them will get shipped to the larger dealers, but not for sale, and not to be taken
off the dealer's property.
I talked with my fav Sprinter brand manager yesterday, and he and his understudy just got back from the new factory
in North Charleston, SC where they got to drive the new 2019 around the factory parking lots....again, not legal for them
to venture onto the roads until all the certifications are completed.
His guess is that MB Sprinter USA (AKA www.mbvans.com) will start taking orders in January 2019 and we will see how soon
the vans that are custom ordered get built and shipped from the new factory.
As suggested elsewhere the 4x4's may not be built in the new factory, at least not right at first.
Roger
The good news is that my 2014 is ready to be picked up tomorrow morning and the only problem was the DEF level
sensor, but it's part of the DEF tank so ~$2100.00 for the replacement tank and labor.
The NOX sensor issue that showed up when the countdown began was a one time anomaly and and did not replicate
after replacement of the DEF tank.
I guess I will change my stand on when to add DEF in the future.

Guess I will fill it up every couple of weeks or every 400 miles.
Roger

marcwestbmw

Actually, we drove the vans on a 25 minute loop around Charleston. Diesel was the only flavor of the day. Static means no driving until the vehicle is wholesaled to the dealer.

The available upgrades will get me to make a move from my 2014 144 passenger.
Two things.
I hope they offer a low top passenger in the near future.
I trust the new roof top ac supplier will be leak free.

Boxster1971

Thanks Roger - good info.

On the DEF tank issue - I don't know if there is any way to prevent issues with these complex Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) and DEF systems. DEF is nasty stuff to deal with. It is corrosive, freezes at 12 deg F and crystallizes when the water content evaporates. But it does wonders to clean up diesel exhaust - the price of clean air. Hopefully these system will continue to improve.

I just had to replace the DEF tank heater on my Sprinter at 104,000 miles; total cost $1,900 because my RV has an electric step mounted right under the DEF tank that had to be removed to access the tank. I imagine at some point in the future I'll also have to replace the DPF. It all seems comparable to replacing the traction battery on my Prius for $3,500 at 140,000 miles - the price of modern emissions control systems.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream

Sprinter SS

To me the VS30 is more of a "facelift" not considering the interior and user interfaces. The basic driveline and chassis remains unchanged. Yes, the OM642 gets new transmission but the core of the van (body and geometry) remain the same, which is not to say its a bad thing.

New interior is huge welcomed change.

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
I imagine the 7-speed will make the old V6 a much better driving experience. When I drove the 4 cylinder and V6 back-to-back, the V6 just felt old. I bet most of that was the transmission.

So what's the deal on the 4 cylinder VS30? Is it truly out? If so, it's a shame.

Boxster1971

I imagine the 7-speed will make the old V6 a much better driving experience. When I drove the 4 cylinder and V6 back-to-back, the V6 just felt old. I bet most of that was the transmission.

So what's the deal on the 4 cylinder VS30? Is it truly out? If so, it's a shame.
This story might give you some clues of the issues Mercedes/Daimler is dealing with in their small diesel line...

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/09/28/over-700000-diesel-vehicles-must-be-recalled-by-daimler/

On the other hand reading over the Daimler 2017 Annual Report, dated 31 Dec 2017, indicates they are committed to developing and deploying a whole new generation of diesel engines for cars, SUVs and vans. I'd guess they are limiting their diesel offering in USA/CAN for now to the welll proven V-6 since they have a new modular 4-cyliner diesel in development. Here is a quote from page 123 of the annual report.

===================
Biggest engine offensive in the history of Mercedes-Benz
The new OM 654 four-cylinder diesel engine, which was
launched in the new E-Class in 2016, is the first member of the
modular engine family that will be utilized across the product
range of Mercedes-Benz Cars and also at Mercedes-Benz Vans.
Several different output ratings are planned for the engine,
which will be installed either longitudinally or transversely in
vehicles with front, rear or all-wheel drive. In this way,
Mercedes-Benz intends to equip its range of diesel cars in
Europe with this engine generation by 2019.
===================

Source: https://www.daimler.com/documents/i...ort/daimler/daimler-ir-annual-report-2017.pdf

Boxster1971

My further reading of the Daimler 2017 Annual Report found this very interetsing paragraph on page 168...

==================
Additionally, delays in obtaining regulatory
approvals necessary to introduce new or recertify existing diesel
models could occur. In light of the notices of violation that were
issued by US environmental authorities to another vehicle manufacturer
in January of 2017 and the related complaint filed by the
United States against such manufacturer in May 2017, identifying
functionalities, apparently including functionalities that are common
in diesel vehicles, as undisclosed Auxiliary Emission Control
Devices (AECDs) and, in some unspecified cases, as impermissible,
and in light of the ongoing governmental information
requests, inquiries and investigations, and our own internal
investigation, it cannot be ruled out that the various authorities
might reach the conclusion that Mercedes-Benz diesel vehicles
have similar functionalities. The inquiries and investigations as
well as the replies to the governmental information requests
and our internal investigation are still ongoing and open; hence,
Daimler cannot predict the outcome at this time. If these or
other inquiries, investigations, legal actions and/or proceedings
result in unfavorable findings, an unfavorable outcome or
otherwise develop unfavorably, Daimler could be subject to
significant monetary penalties, remediation requirements,
vehicle recalls, process improvements, mitigation measures and
the early termination of promotional loans, and/or other sanctions,
measures and actions, including further investigations by
these or other authorities and additional litigations.
==================

Daimler is obviously going to be very cautious when introducing new diesels into the US market. But they are committed to continued diesel engine development because of their low CO2 emissions levels. Here is a summary of their plans found on page 182 of the annual report...

==================
Comprehensive plan for the future of diesel engines
We are convinced that diesel engines will continue to be an
integral part of the drive-system mix, not least due to their low
CO2 emissions. The debate surrounding diesel engines is
leading to increasing uncertainty among customers, however.
For this reason, the Daimler AG Board of Management approved
a comprehensive plan for the future of diesel engines in July
2017. The plan calls for a massive expansion of the current voluntary
service measures for vehicles in customers’ hands, as
well as the rapid market launch of a completely new family of
diesel engines.

As early as 2016, Mercedes-Benz began offering diesel vehicles
that were able to meet the Real Driving Emissions (RDE) limits
that went into effect in the EU in 2017. This achievement was
made possible by an all-new modular family of efficient and
clean diesel engines. In the future, this modular engine family
will be utilized across the entire product range of MercedesBenz
Cars and also at Mercedes-Benz Vans. The new engines’
exemplary emissions have also been confirmed by measurements
conducted at independent institutes.
==================

If you are interested; details of all the legal issues related to diesels in USA and Canada are found in the attached pages from the 2017 annual report.

Attachments

eradikate

For what it’s worth, my brother, who is a high performance auto freak, was part of the group that toured the Charleston factory and drove the new vans. We had test driven recent model year Sprinters but my order for a 2018 didn’t make it in before the line shut down to retool for the 2019’s. My bro called me during his first drive in the new V-6 diesel and was positively giddy about the driving experience, even with all the nannies. He thought the handling, cockpit layout, seat comfort, just about everything, was a significant improvement over previous years. Just one guy’s opinion, based on a relatively short period of time with the vehicle but still made me feel a little better about the long wait for a ‘19.

sailquik

Mike/Boxter1971,
Interesting!
The text about the upcoming OM-654 4 cylinder is REALLY interesting as most of that same
statement was made for the OM-651 4 cylinder several years ago and a long very scientifically
detailed report was published about how the OM-651 was the new generation diesel and would
be applicable to nearly all the platforms.......mounted fore/aft for rear wheel drive....mounted
transversely for front wheel drive......possibly even "laid over" for smaller cars to reduce the
frontal area and keep the hood line lower.

It will be interesting.....I'd like to wait for the OM-654 to be approved in the USA, but I need a new
van fairly soon, so I may order a 2019 OM-642/7G-Tronic.
I'll have to drive one first and wait until a few are on the road to see how much I will have to give
up fuel mileage wise.
My last V6/5G-Tronic mostly got 19 mpg (20 on a good day with a tail wind).
My OM-651 still (@ 181,000 miles) gets 23 mpg most of the time.
I talked to the brand manager a week ago, and the configurations don't seem to have settled down
yet.
Couldn't get suspension seats (an absolute deal breaker for me) and lots of things seemed to be
uncertain.
As always, your dealer will put together your "wish list", submit it to MB Vans USA, and they will
come back with list of options you can get and a possibly longer list of the options you can't get.
Roger

Boxster1971

Roger/Sailquik - I too would like to get the new 4-cylinder diesel if it was available. But then I’m also interested in switching to a gasoline engine. Remains to be seen how well the new 4-cylinder gas engine will work. It is a very high tech engine with variable valve lift.

My Sprinter only has 106,000 miles so I have a few years to go before I’ll need a new one.

Top Bottom