sprinter keeps going into limp mod

2006 I 5 mb engine on a 3500 ser chassis 42k , last three times out about 200 miles into each trip ,it goes into limb mod. been back to the same shop kempthrone motors canton ohio. seems like there just changing parts. any help appr 2007 leisure travel van, serenity fredom II bought new.

sailquik

bountyhunter,
Does Kempthorn Mercedes Benz have a dedicated "Sprinter Specific" shop area with the high
bay doors and heavy duty racks/alignment/wheel and tire balancing equipment + all the special
tools to work on Sprinters, plus factory trained "Sprinter specific" technicians?
Have they provided you with invoices that include the actual diagnosis and codes they
discovered with their diagnostic equipment?
You can request the actual printouts from their diagnostic equipment.
Have you thought of installing a Scan Gauge II or similar to see if you are somehow driving
your Sprinter RV in a manner that invokes/induces the "LHM" (Limp Home Mode) episodes?
With the SG-II you could monitor the % engine LOAD to keep it < 100%, you could monitor the
MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure to see if it stays in the normal range, or suddenly "pops" at a
specific pressure induced by too much % engine Load.
The Scan Gauge II is NOT a diagnostic tool, but rather a performance monitoring tool to allow you
to see more of what your engine management systems are doing for you (or not) that may be
causing your issues.
Is there a specific uphill grade that this occurs on regularly?
It could be an uphill grade (with out manual downshifting to reduce % engine Load/reduce
temperatures/bring the engine up into the most efficient and powerful RPM Range of 2600-3100
for your 2006 OM-647 I5 engine/5 speed transmission)or headwinds, or any number of factors
that push your % engine Load too high, actually inducing the LHM episodes.
Have you weighed your RV to determine that you are not over the GAVWR and that the front/rear
axle weights are withinthe limits on the "B" pillar sticker and compliance label/decal/plate?
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

InterBlog

Goes into limp mode but does not STAY in limp mode?

Check your turbo connections. I had something like this happen a few weeks ago with brand new turbo hoses. One of them was coming loose just a little bit - hard to see unless you look very closely. So I'd get a bit of pressure build and then it would release. Finally it got to the point where it was all limp, all the time. At which point my husband was able to isolate the problem and re-seat the hose properly.

Of course if yours is a 2007 and hasn't had the hoses replaced at all yet, that's the first thing I would do. At that point IMO they need to be replaced on general principle.

Fkimble

Sounds like the Turbo Resonator is starting to leak a little pressure after the glue gets hot, hence the 200 miles before failure. If it's the original I would consider a Riordan aluminum replacement or at least the Dorman replacement. Take a look at the bottom of the resonator at the seam, if oily then that is most likely the cause. Could also be a hose loose or damaged.

Frank

changed the resonator first thing when new, [learned of the plastic ones being bad. went alumium] but will check hoses ,thanks and I ,L CHECK OUT THE SHOP IN AKRON.

riesindustries

I had issues with my van while going through Valdosta Georgia, found a guy who works on Sprinters for FedEx etc.... He helped me get going, and suggested if I intend to keep doing long distance runs with my 2003, that I buy one of scanners available from harbor freight... the $89 model or thereabouts. He said it could reset stuff as well, but he said it would do what any mechanic would need while on the road.
He has a lot of unused parts, unknown to me, but he would relish the chance to get rid of this old inventory.
He also has about 3 or 4 of those models at his graveyard, having motor/trans problems, but with pretty nice bodies. I salvaged some of the parts, but although I wish for a new side door and back doors, I couldn't bring myself to swap those with my van because somebody should be buying those vans. I will post his contact number in the parts/for sale section of this forum.

Another thing I think I have learned is that the van doesn't shift well when the transmission oil is low. I have a leak, and will need to get it fixed. Maybe you need check tranny oil level??

Top Bottom