2002 Fuel Filter Foul up! Noooo!

Ventucky805

2002 Freightliner OM612 203K
2002 2500 Freightliner Sprinter.

Changed the fuel filter. Used the starter to bleed the line of air. Nothing happened for ages. No fuel being pulled through.

At the Low Pressure Fuel Pump, I disconnected the receiving line, sucked fuel through the filter and up to the pump. Plumbed it back up. No fuel coming out of the send line. Only air. Unplugged the send line from the pump, tried to start it, No fuel coming out of the send.

Is this a low pressure fuel pump gone bad?

Seems like it is to me. Anyone?

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
2002 does not have a lp fuel pump. All suck. Many have installed a prime pump (temporary lp pump) to aid re start after fuel filter change. Also you may just need Tim to crank a little longer. Oh and if air is getting in at your fittings you want get prime up.

As was mentioned, the mechanical low pressure fuel pump is mounted to the engine and sucks fuel from the tank via the fuel filter. There is no in tank pump on a OM612 engine.

No start problems after a fuel filter change most always trace to air leaks in the fuel piping/hoses/or filter WIF system. Did you use proper full circle fuel hose clamps?

Be aware that a strong battery is needed for proper starting. The battery getting sucked during your start attempts can add to your no start woes.

vic

B

billintomahawk

Why did you change the filter?
Did you fill the new filter with fuel before installing and trying to start the engine?
Did you charge the battery before attempting a start?
Did you crank for 10 seconds, wait 3 seconds, crank again 10 seconds wait 3 seconds, then crank until the engine starts?
Do you see any fuel in the clear line from the filter to the LP pump.

Doing all that my '02 started easily many times when I was working through an air in the lines issue with my fuel system.
The last crank took 10-15 seconds to start.

bill in tomahawk

Last edited by a moderator:

Ventucky805

I have fuel in the line from the filter to the LP pump. but not fuel after the LP pump. I unplugged the after line to see if it would squirt out fuel when trying to start the van, and it doesn't. Ya'll think this is because of a air leak in the system? I feel like it would have to be a massive air leak not to allow and fluid at all move around.

Ventucky805

Alright. It needed to be primed. I went and got a MITYVAC from Harbor Frieght, used the fittings that came with it and primed the lines AFTER the low pressure pump. Couple of seconds of turning over and she fired right up.

Then I changed the thermostat... Probably should have done that when the low pressure fuel lines were off. Didn't care to go through the process again so I puzzle pieced it out of it's entrapment.

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
Yup, PITA to prime a diesel without a lift pump. Fwiw the only fuel pump you have is the high pressure pump attached to the front of the engine. I think you called it the low pressure pump by accident?

trc.rhubarb

On the OM612 motors, there are two mounted to the engine. Facing the engine, there is a low pressure pump on the right side, under the bracket for the EGR and the high pressure is on the left side, behind the oil dipstick.

Top Bottom