PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Passenger van, 94,000miles sell or keep?

auburnbuilder
09-24-2018, 02:45 AM
Just curious what other folks thoughts are about keeping or getting a new van.
My 2011 passenger van has 94,000 miles on it now and is in very good condition.
That being said can I expect some high repair bills in the not to distant future?
Emissions system kind of scares me, van runs very well. New struts, rear shocks
and DPF exhaust system installed in the last six months. Drives like new.
Any thoughts?

Sprinter SS
09-24-2018, 12:05 PM
Run the numbers,

The only things likely to fail are DEF heater, NOX sensors (x2), differential pressure switch, maybe oil cooler seals. If you do not put a ton of miles on worth just keeping in my opinion.

Gessippi
09-25-2018, 02:03 PM
Lower drivers side intercooler hose just let go on my 2011 with just a couple more miles than your.

WillieJ
09-26-2018, 12:59 AM
Just curious what other folks thoughts are about keeping or getting a new van.
My 2011 passenger van has 94,000 miles on it now and is in very good condition.
That being said can I expect some high repair bills in the not to distant future?
Emissions system kind of scares me, van runs very well. New struts, rear shocks
and DPF exhaust system installed in the last six months. Drives like new.
Any thoughts?

Say you have a $2000 repair bill. What would the payments be on a new sprinter? $500 per
month? More? You have already eaten the depreciation if you purchased new, or maybe used. At $500 per month you will break even in 4 months, just on the repair. If you go the rest of the year without any repair, highly likely, you are money ahead. I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time, and pay for the repairs. I realize a Ď96 Jetta isnít a sprinter, but my son is still driving the one we bought with 15k miles on it. It now has 235k miles. It doesnít owe me or him a nickel.

On the other hand, I had a 2002 Audi A6 2.7 turbo, also bought used, that the wastegates on the turbos failed at 135,000 miles. That was a pull the engine repair, so it made sense to dump it. I had intended to keep driving it to about 160k. But I didnít worry about it in advance, I just replaced it when it made sense.

So if you are making sure the routine maintenance is being taken care of, I believe it is worth keeping the vehicle.