Getting my vehicle Weighed

SkyGypsy

Where does one go about getting their vehicle weighed? In particular I’m looking for a place that has a four wheel scale as I am partly through the building and to help me plan the finishing touches I’m really trying to keep the weight and balance correct.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The most common are truck scales (CAT has an APP). These will do per axle. Some junkyards or landfills will have scales, and you can weight per axle sometimes. If they operator is chill, you can try weighing one wheel at a time.

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
We've got certified CAT scales at the truck stops, but there are also self-serve scales along the highway with short scale pads and a digital readout, meant to weigh a single axle at a time. It's wide enough for a full axle, but you can also approach off center and drive one wheel onto the pad at a time. Not certified for transport trucks, but close enough for your purpose?

-dave

Rock Doc

SkyGypsy,

Also, if you're traveling along a highway (which can be convenient as you'll likely be loaded to your typical traveling weight), you can stop at a highway truck scale. Often in many states, when the scales are "closed" (meaning they're not currently weighing trucks that travel by), you can still drive across the scales and at least get your axle weights displayed on a readout where you can see it. You won't have a paper receipt for this, but it's FREE (always good!), and easy to do. It won't give you the 4-wheel tare that you're looking for, but it will at least get you close.

For a 4-wheel tare you'd probably need to go to an Escapees or FMCA convention (but sign-up ahead of time--they're busy). Alternatively, you can do a Google search for companies that will do RV weighing. I have noted that these are usually located in areas where there are lots of RVs--like Florida, Texas or SoCal.

Rock Doc
2014 Pleasureway Plateau TS in 2013 Sprinter 3500

autostaretx

Erratic Member
When i weighed my T1N on an unused-but-active roadside scale in Oregon (just south of Fort Stevens), i certainly could've done a minor dance to put one wheel at a time on the platform.

I did do an axle-at-a-time process to get the front/rear distribution.

--dick

Top Bottom