PDA

View Full Version : brake questions

phillthepainter
07-07-2009, 10:03 PM
I have a 06 sprinter with the original brake pads and 57,000 miles ALL HIGHWAY Miles. My mechanic said the I was "close" to needing new breaks but it easily passed inspection in late April. I have always felt a slight grinding type noise when ever I braked a bit hard. That grinding comes and goes. However I just returned from a long trip and had that rough feeling when I braked but only at the end of the trip. My brake sensor light has never come on and my brake fluid is a little low but not too close to the " add" mark.

My question is this..

I have a long trip on Thursday very important to my business. Can I wait and trust that my brake sensor light will tell me when I need brakes. The light has never come on. This slight grinding sensation comes and goes but I'd hate to be stranded with bad brakes three states away. I also only have a day and a half before I leave and I doubt I could find someone who has the parts in stock (aside from the dealer).

Phil

mean_in_green
07-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Phil,

I stopped trusting my brake pad sensors around the same time that they failed to alert me to the fact my metal brake pad backings had made contact with my discs (actually, I didn't need sensors by that time...).

In other words: the sensors can fail.

It's pretty easy to visually check pad wear on the four wheel Sprinters by looking at the calipers "through" the wheels. Short of taking the wheels off this is the best way to know for sure. Forum members with high percentage motorway use (myself included) report far greater mileages on a set of pads and discs, and in one case four times your current mileage.

Simon

jdcaples
07-08-2009, 01:13 AM
Phil,

I stopped trusting my brake pad sensors around the same time that they failed to alert me to the fact my metal brake pad backings had made contact with my discs (actually, I didn't need sensors by that time...).

In other words: the sensors can fail.

It's pretty easy to visually check pad wear on the four wheel Sprinters by looking at the calipers "through" the wheels. Short of taking the wheels off this is the best way to know for sure. Forum members with high percentage motorway use (myself included) report far greater mileages on a set of pads and discs, and in one case four times your current mileage.

Simon

Is the level of brake fluid (going down) any indication of pad thickness?

In all the American vehicles I've owned, adding brake fluid meant look at the pads. Is this not true of Sprinters (for reasons with which I'm not familiar yet)?

-Jon

seabiscuit
07-08-2009, 03:59 AM
Mean in Green, can you tell me some details of what I should be looking for when I check pad wear by looking at the calipers without taking the wheel off?

mean_in_green
07-08-2009, 09:10 AM
You're just looking at the calipers and observing the remaining thickness of the pads / how close the pad backings are to the discs. Less simple if six wheels because of the wheel shape.

312 diesel (closed)
07-08-2009, 07:32 PM
As Simon said, just look at how much brake pad remains on the metal backin of the pad where it sits against the brake disk.

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n413/turbobrickspics/Sprinter/Brakepad.jpg

TimJuhl
07-09-2009, 12:21 AM
Don't trust the wear sensor. I just did my brakes today and observed that on the front wheels it was the pad that didn't have the sensor in it that was worn to almost nothing! That means you could be metal to metal on one side and the sensor wouldn't give you any warning.

I second what the others have told you...crawl under and visually inspect the pads to see how much is left - try to get a look at both pads because as I said they may not wear evenly.

Good luck!

Tim

312 diesel (closed)
07-09-2009, 12:24 AM
Yup on my own vans I mostly don't bother to replace the sensor, they're an inadequate substitute for maintenance.

Altered Sprinter
07-09-2009, 12:36 AM
Sensors will not let you down if they are placed on the outer side of the rotor as the outer pad will wear first., if on the inner side of the rotor( placement of sensor) the indicator comes on too late, if at all.
I like the idea of the dash rotor warning system indicator , it gives you time to replace. before you run out of brakes.
Richard

glasseye
07-09-2009, 10:00 AM
On a new T1N, how thick should the pads be? I'm going to have to evaluate one with a claimed 9800 miles. Never seen Sprinter brakes before.