2007 UK Sprinter 313 CDI - Strong rotten egg smell

nastypoker

2.2L Diesel, the one with the 2 stage turbo from 2007 in the UK. Done 145k miles. Remapped at some point in its life. Camper conversion.

So it has been working fine, I am driving round Europe and have 2 error codes. P1955 which is a glow plug issue. Not really a problem right now as the weather is fine and the engine starts almost instantly anyway.

The other error code is P0299 which is turbo underboost. Every so often, the engine goes into limp mode and I get a CEL but it doesn't affect anything else. I just flick the key off and on and bump the engine and its fine again. This only happens if I sit for a while with a really low throttle position. If I drive normally/aggressively, I have no problems.

Anyway, the other day, as we set off in the morning, a really strong hydrogen sulphide (rotten egg smell) appeared. It lasted maybe 30 minutes and then went away. I was driving 3-4 hours a day. Next day same thing. Next day, no smell at all. Next day the smell was back, really strong. Finally today, no egg smell but then after driving for 2+ hours, we got a small whiff of egg for 30 minutes or so. Not as strong as normal though.

I can't really think what this could be. The batteries are not being overcharged, checked voltages of both the engine battery and the 2 deep cycle batteries on board. No boiling or anything. Either way, the smell is way to strong to be from the batteries.

It isn't anything to do with our waste water tanks, checked everything. The smell is so strong, it just isn't possible to be anything other than engine / fuel related.

If it was weird/cheap diesel from Eastern Europe where I am now, surely the smell would stay or would the exhaust heating up stop the smell?

Are there any checks I can do to narrow this down?

nastypoker

I have a scanguage and another separate reader called an MDBII or something and it is showing no problems. What setting do I need to look for?

lindenengineering

You need to look in "live data" for observance & operation of the 02 sensor amongst other things like pressure sensor correlation.
Dennis

nastypoker

Can't see any problems. Everything looks normal.

I have now run 2 tanks of fuel from Poland and Slovakia through the van and the smell isn't there anymore. I suspect it was cheap diesel (perhaps high sulfur??) but it doesn't explain why the issue was so intermittent.

nastypoker

Heavy egg smell is back again this morning. I am only using Shell or BP fuel from Austria and Germany now so it should all be good? It seems to be in the first 30 minutes of driving, the smell is really bad and then seems to go away.

Could this be the DPF or Cat is blocked or something? I have no related errors showing and the performance is fine. Quite worrying as it really smells quite bad.

Ed463

I don't have the rotten egg smell, but I do have what looks like a failed oxygen sensor. I don't have any check engine light showing and it runs fine. Just a stored code 2038-2. So it maybe worth scanning it again?
We're in Southern Italy at the moment. Tried a couple of part stores, €240:crazy: or £75 from home. So it's on its way from the UK.

Top Bottom