Oil out Dipstick after Injector Change

v33761

I have a 2006 T1N without turbo boost and oil blowing out of dipstick. I live in Florida and am stranded in Canada 35 miles north of Dawson Creek.

I was climbing sharp hill and stated missing. Found Black Death. Made it back to shop 1/2 mile downhill. Found #1 injector blowing air out.

Ordered new injector. Have been here since Thursday, it is now Tuesday. Problem getting injector over labor day weekend. Had shop install injector today.

NOW BIG PROBLEMS - Now have oil blowing out dipstick, and no turbo boost.
They have ran their 7k Snap on Scanner and find no codes for injectors, but turbo boost.

Engine does not idle smooth, like still on 4 cylinders, however, at idle no blow by out dipstick tube. Take short drive lots of oil out dipstick tube, appears like no turbo boost or running on 4 cylinders, basically no power.

I don't understand how changing injector is causing oil out dipstick tube or no turbo boost.

PS:
I have Green Diesel Engineering Flash, which I understand changes EGR functions. Would this have any effect?

Please Advise

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
If you have oil blowing our your dipstick it’s most likely blow by.. ie the piston or cylinder wall are significantly compromised thus allowing pressure to ‘blow by’ or through into the crank case and out the dipstick tube. If you loosen your oil cap while it’s running it’ll probably fly right off. In fact, don’t do that...

So you’re heading up the hill, lose power, opened up the hood and you have a bunch of oil all over? Then you took it to a shop, the removed the plastic cover on top of the motor and noticed ‘air’ (actually diesel and air) coming out from one of the injectors? Is this the correct order of occurrences?

If the oil (blow by) was not present until after the injector replacement then there’s a chance you had a defective injector put in which stuck open causing an abnormally large explosion in that cylinder thus blowing the piston, or compromising the cylinder wall, or the rings, or all, etc. To test for this, pull the injector plug on the cylinder which was replaced. Does the motor do the same thing or does it shut down? If it remains the same, whatever work was done COULD be why this happened.

Sorry to say it, and please do stay optimistic, but you most likely already had BD and most likely it has nothing to do with the loss of power or the little dance your engine is doing (no compression in one or more cylinders). And, it’s time to figure out how you’re getting back to FL unless you can quickly find a shop willing to pull the motor and begin the autopsy.

Please report back and stay safe out there. At least you’re in Canada and not Tijuana!!

Last edited:

lindenengineering

I have a 2006 T1N without turbo boost and oil blowing out of dipstick. I live in Florida and am stranded in Canada 35 miles north of Dawson Creek.

I was climbing sharp hill and stated missing. Found Black Death. Made it back to shop 1/2 mile downhill. Found #1 injector blowing air out.

Ordered new injector. Have been here since Thursday, it is now Tuesday. Problem getting injector over labor day weekend. Had shop install injector today.

NOW BIG PROBLEMS - Now have oil blowing out dipstick, and no turbo boost.
They have ran their 7k Snap on Scanner and find no codes for injectors, but turbo boost.

Engine does not idle smooth, like still on 4 cylinders, however, at idle no blow by out dipstick tube. Take short drive lots of oil out dipstick tube, appears like no turbo boost or running on 4 cylinders, basically no power.

I don't understand how changing injector is causing oil out dipstick tube or no turbo boost.

PS:
I have Green Diesel Engineering Flash, which I understand changes EGR functions. Would this have any effect?

Please Advise
I have an explanation!
Your van has been overheating, an injector washer went soft, then heat oval ed it & combustion gases leaked out causing the black death syndrome--quite common!
Now all the time this has been going on the pistons have been taking a hammering due to heat.
At least one of the pistons has suffered heat distress and the rings are shot--hence the blow by!

First step is to conduct a compression test or "even running" test . The Snappy Tool can do that!
Ideally the best method is to pull out the glow plugs and put a physical compression tester tool into the head and crank it, reading pressures
Minimum pressure is 320 psi ! This will locate which piston(s) cylinder is affected.
In reality the exhaust gas flow is so low that there is insufficient exhaust gas pressure to give some boost --UNLESS piston ring fragmentation has blown out past the valves & out to the the turbo binding it up .
All the best --not good news I am afraid !
Dennis

v33761

Thanks for the answers.

Why is there no blow by at idle. Only when put load on engine.

I will have them pull electrical connection to the new injector, and verify that it is working or not.. Then pressure test.

Will have them pull hose to turbo, make sure turbo will spin.

lindenengineering

Thanks for the answers.

Why is there no blow by at idle. Only when put load on engine.

I will have them pull electrical connection to the new injector, and verify that it is working or not.. Then pressure test.

Will have them pull hose to turbo, make sure turbo will spin.
It blows by due to increased cylinder pressure and pumping action.
The injector can be verified by simply using the Snap On scan tool (in actuations menu) to cut out each cylinder in turn, thus verifying which is inoperable or not. No need to pull connectors off taxing ECM driver circuits, let the tool do the donkey work!
Dennis

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I would assume the Snap-on can also perform the DAD's simple (relative) compression test:
monitoring instantaneous RPM as the starter cranks the won't-start (due to DAD telling it not to) engine.

When there's a weak cylinder, the starter-driven RPM *increases* during that compression stroke, compared to the rest of the bunch.

--dick

lindenengineering

Yes it does and more !
That's why I often recommend a Snappy trade in for a DIY'r that wants to REALLY get into his Sprinter.
Dennis

lindenengineering

I would say an Autel for price & value.
That stated if you approach a Snap On tools sales guy & see if you can get a Snap On Solus Pro trade in.
These are professional scanners with lots of capability and can do almost as much as a factory unit.
Easy to use once you get the hand of it.

Here's one on Fleabay --But you are better off getting one from a tools truck because it will have been checked, tested and usually updated .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SNAP-ON-TO...716058?hash=item3639d8619a:g:fNQAAOSwjpRaxQ5o

Also the OTC Genysis isn't too bad !
Not as popular but remember this is the same company (OTC) that made the Chrysler DRB3 so nothing to hold your nose about !

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OTC-Genisy...930322?hash=item4683fa4f52:g:AkIAAOSwpspbhZNp

These are a favorite tech trade in too! As techs upgrade due to their increased scan tool capabilities and they out grow it in skill development !
Good for a DIY'r & Sprinters
In fact I first fixed a 2003 Sprinter with one of these 14/15 years ago!
All the best
Dennis

Top Bottom