PDA

View Full Version : VW Crafter / NCV3/906 Sprinter Rear Wheel Bearings

Mickyfin
08-30-2018, 03:41 PM
I'm starting this new thread due to possibly missing views/help as I posted in a similar thread, and I got no responses.

Here's what I mentioned in someone else thread relating to transmission oil.

Turned out it was 17mm in the end, refreshed the differential oil, but the whining sound I get when I reach 100kmh is still preset, but only there whilst accelerating.

From what research I've done, it is possible the propshafter centre bearing? The whining sound I hear when I hit 100kmh whilst accelerating sounds like its coming from the rear of the van.

Bit of an update, I've put the van in neutral, and handbrake on, and then got under the van to check the UJ's, and bearings, and these are all solid, and actually look new, so now, I suspect the whining sound is a wheel bearing, as I'm also getting some brake squealing from one side at the rear, does this sound plausible'?

I have since checked the the entire prop, and bearings, and they are all good.

My van in booked into our local VW garage on the 7th of September to have the following fitting which I have the new parts with me...

Front Bake discs and pads
rear brake discs pads, and shoes
Rear hub bearings (both sides)

Now, the garage I'm booked into say they have never fitted hub bearings as a standalone part, and that when they normally replace the rear bearings on a Sprinter/Crafter, the renew the bearings with a drive shaft, this, I'm told is 1100 per side.

Anyone with some input would be great.

Midwestdrifter
08-30-2018, 03:55 PM
What transmission does this vehicle have?

Whining only under acceleration may be the trans. However it is more likely that one of the pinion bearings is starting to wear. There are two bearings on the pinion, one is mostly loaded in accel, the other in decel. Sometimes adding a bit of molybdenum disulfide additive to the gear oil can burnish the bearing surface and quiet the noise for a good while.

Wheel bearings will almost always make more noise when turning away from the bearing. Turning left will load the right bearings, and vice versa. If the noise doesn't get lounder when doing this, it probably isn't the wheel bearings. If your rear axle is the same design as mercedes, it uses a very robust double row ball bearing. A failing bearing in this location will often result in gear oil seeping from the shaft seal.

Mickyfin
08-30-2018, 04:35 PM
Thanks for your reply, its a Diesel Manual 6 speed model. I have new rear bearings brakes and shoes to befitted on the 7th of September, but I'm starting to worry if its actually there drive shaft/s?

I have drains the rear diff, and renewed the oil, no alarm bells theorem nothing on the magnetic drain plug, and drained oil was clean.

Mickyfin
08-30-2018, 04:58 PM
The thing is, I'm having new brakes all round fitted, plus new rear wheel bearings, and I dread to think that maybe that whinging @100kmh is still there, if it is would that point to the drive shaft?

Really need your expertise here guys before I lay down some serious coin.

I'm supplying all the new parts

Midwestdrifter
08-30-2018, 05:11 PM
You can try lubing the carrier bearing, they might help.

Cheyenne
08-30-2018, 05:26 PM
... and I dread to think that maybe that whinging @100kmh is still there, if it is would that point to the drive shaft?

The drive shaft (half shaft in UK) cannot whine on its own, it would have to be either the wheel bearing or diff bearings (assuming it is actually from the rear end).

They are probably saying they have to change the complete drive (half) shaft as they do not have the means to remove the old bearing from the shaft and press on the new one.

What does the Sprinter manual say about replacing Sprinter rear wheel bearings? They are likely to be the same.

Keith.

And from an earlier posting of yours you DO NOT have a T1N but actually a derivative of the NCV3.

Mine is 2011, not Sprinter, but Crafter.

Mickyfin
08-30-2018, 06:19 PM
Thanks, I'm confident once work has been done, if it is a wheel bearing I will post here when all work is completed, and if the whining sound is still there at 100kph after all this expense then ****ed if I know!

I will test drive the van following the work,€2.5k, 100kph on the motorway, and if that whining sound is still there.then I will kill myself.

Cheyenne
08-30-2018, 07:45 PM
Mickyfin,

Please, if you make any more posts regarding your 2011 VW Crafter will you post in the NCV3 area of the forum as that is where your posts belong.

Keith.

Mickyfin
08-31-2018, 06:36 AM
Will do, sorry.

4wheels
08-31-2018, 07:03 AM
Driveshaft U-joint can whine.
Carrier bearing can be checked only if two bolts to chassis removed . ( showed dealer video with shaking bearing , they said bring it in , will fix it under warranty . Next day dealer called and said : our mechanics do not see any shaking bearing . Then after two bolts were off - was so easy to see )
Rear axle shaft bearing can be checked , too.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Ed463
08-31-2018, 08:18 AM
My money would be on the rear diff. Listen to any DPD / DHL Sprinter, they've done starship mileage and been abused of course, but they all have diff whine.
I'd try adding some molyslip or equivalent (as per Midwesterner above) to see if it alters the noise in any way.

Oh and for the work you describe above I'd avoid dealerships (although it's always worth asking for a price as they are sometimes very competitive due to the hrs they're required to follow for some jobs by MB/VW).
The work you describe is bread and butter stuff on a basic commercial vehicle that any independent garage should be perfectly competent in.

Mickyfin
08-31-2018, 02:32 PM
Cheers, I have recently renewed the differential oil with the correct type, same whining sound at 100kms.

Ive checked the prop and it actually looks new, still has a label on it (paper) Its solid, and no play anywhere on it.

4wheels
08-31-2018, 05:21 PM
I forgot to add :
Rear bearing had play and as I said needed two bolts off of chassis to be able to see the play
Front bearing had no play and was solid. I decided to take it off. Voila ! It was BINDING ! That's where the noise was . You have to remove it from driveshaft .
My 1 cent

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

sailquik
09-01-2018, 12:56 AM
If this is a 316 Crafter, (2500 USA with single rear wheels) the rear wheel bearings are pressed onto the rear
axles. Call them half shafts if you like, but they are the forged AXLE that has the splines to engage the differential
side gears on the inner end and a flange without bolt holes on the outer end.
Getting the old bearings off and installing new bearings without damage to the axles requires special equipment
(i.E. a hydraulic or manual bearing press (big enough so the axle can fit in the throat of the press) and a bearing
separator to get behind the bearing (between the bearing/seal/ and the axle flange).
I'm sure it's much easier to jut buy a new RH and LH axle with the bearings and seals already pressed on.
If you have a dual rear wheel 416-516 (3500 USA with dual rear wheels) the rear wheel bearings actually
fit on the outer ends of the rear axle housing, and the actual AXLES go through the bearing (not a press fit)
and drive the rear wheel bearings by the flange and adapter mounted over the rear wheel bearings.
Sure hope you purchased OEM (or OEM quality) brake components.
Saving money on vehicle brakes is often penny wise and pound foolish as your brakes are THE most important
safety feature of your Crafter/Sprinter.
A brake failure can be life threatening, and using cheap brake components on a system designed to save
your life is not recommended.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Mickyfin
09-01-2018, 06:57 AM
Its the single rear wheel Crafter, and yes, I have new OEM brakes from Germany.

Mickyfin
09-08-2018, 11:54 AM
Where to start? Oh boy, took my van to the dealer, and its come back in worse condition that it went in for, now I have the engine check light on, and its in limp home mode, I'm livid, and angry with this VW dealership, so much so, I have not held back, and sent them a nasty email demanding that they resolve my engine problem which wasn't there before I took it in.

I'm guessing the mechanic thrashed it whilst taking it for a test drive to hear the rear whining. I was supposed to drive the van and have a mechanic with me so I could point out when and where the sound comes from. Needless to say, lack of communications (nobody spoke English) and the English guy I was emailing wasn't there on Friday just gone when I took my van in.

So as of right now, I'm unable to work, unable to use my van, fuming!

Oh and they tried to tell me I need a new differential which costs €10,000 euros, or €3000 euros for a rebuild, completely way over priced, they treated me as if I was stupid, but unbeknown to those there that day, they didn't realise I have a mechanical background.

Mickyfin
09-09-2018, 08:56 AM
Read the codes, and the VW dealership have caused some problems that were not present when I took the van in for a rear diff inspection. I now have overboost, so suspect the VNT is suck and needs to come off to clean, I may as well renew the fins whilst I'm cleaning it out, found this seller, and this is the correct part, just incase any of the old fins are damaged, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Melett-CHRA-Volkswagen-VW-Crafter-2-0-TDI-109-136-bhp-CKTB-CKTC-CSLB-803955-3/202053122770?hash=item2f0b4dfad2:g:P5EAAOSw2xRYY6V 7

Will also order a new VNT in case any parts are also damaged.

Taking the van back to the dealer tomorrow to demand they put this right, as it is their fault, if they won't accept liability, then I will no doubt have to do it myself.