T1N driveline noise

pgr

I've just developed a rumbling noise while starting up in 1st gear on my '04 2500 passenger van (92K). It seems to be coming from just behind the front seats. I've crawled under and felt around but not seen anything. If it ever stops raining this summer I plan to jack the rear wheels up and put it in neutral and see if I can find the problem.

Does anyone have and hints on what to look for, where & how? I suppose it could be the u joints or hanger but can I determine this by just jacking the rear wheels up?

It only shoes up in first gear while starting and if I'm pulling a trailer it is more pronounced. I did change the trans oil & filter about 15K miles ago and it was pretty clean.

Thanks,

pgr

Eric Experience

Pgr
Best thing to do is to drop the drive shaft out, and then have a good look at it. You will probably find that the front jiont has siezed up. If it has you can exercise it by moving it to the full angle many times to get the grease moving, if that reduces the niose then you know what the problem is. Eric.

USISDE

PGR: I also have 2004 140" High Top w/68,000 miles. I had the same situation with a rumbling noise coming from behind the front seats on the centerline of the van. I was able to put my head on the floor and listen while someone else drove the vehicle and Bingo - found the noise. It was driveline related (Center support bearing). Since I was almost out of my 70K warranty I was able to have the driveshaft assembly replaced. Dealer would only replace the entire driveshaft assembly, not just the center support bearing. Now the van drives like a new machine - smoother, quieter, less transmission RSN. Makes me wonder if the driveshaft was not properly balanced in the first place.

rclay469

PGR: I also have 2004 140" High Top w/68,000 miles. I had the same situation with a rumbling noise coming from behind the front seats on the centerline of the van. I was able to put my head on the floor and listen while someone else drove the vehicle and Bingo - found the noise. It was driveline related (Center support bearing). Since I was almost out of my 70K warranty I was able to have the driveshaft assembly replaced. Dealer would only replace the entire driveshaft assembly, not just the center support bearing. Now the van drives like a new machine - smoother, quieter, less transmission RSN. Makes me wonder if the driveshaft was not properly balanced in the first place.
I had the same problem with mine. After spending tooo much money on a carrier bearing come to find out it was the driveshaft being out of balance. Also one of the u-joints cracked and lost a clip. ( Dodge PN# 5119086AA /2500 118ft non dually) Retail $976.00 / list $732.59

davars

I have a 2004, 2500 140 inch high top with 61000 miles. It made a noise at highway speeds (60mph+) but only under load such as climbing a grade or under acceleration. Sounded like being inside a large steel drum, vibrations would make body panels buzz, sounded like driveline issue, maybe bad u-joint or carrier bearing. Again, it ONLY made the noise under a load. The noise would disappear as soon as I decelerated or topped out on the grade. Sprinter mechanic diagnosed as a transmission issue. Did the full transmission service: fluid and filter R&R and the noise went away completely! Just to put this out there in case anyone has this happen as it would be easy to misdiagnose as a driveline problem. Apparently, as the AT fluid breaks down the trans start to transmit vibrations under the floor like a driveline might. Hope this helps.

Davars,
Good point. I was going to suggest the same thing, but he said he changed the transmission oil and filter fairly recently.

There's a thread here with quite a bit of information about transmission shudder vs RSN rumble strip noise for anyone who may be interested.

Rumble Strip Noise Transmission Drive Train Shudder

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5027&highlight=transmission+shudder+rsn+nag1

More recently Ryder has had Shell 134 Transmission fluid (meets MB236.14 spec) for much less than I paid for OEM fluid when I started the thread.

Sprinter NAG1 transmission fluid question

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8652&highlight=ryder+134+mb236.14

The Ryder link is found in post #7.
http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/c...Shell-134-for-Sprinter/erm/product_detail.jsp

vic
I have a 2004, 2500 140 inch high top with 61000 miles. It made a noise at highway speeds (60mph+) but only under load such as climbing a grade or under acceleration. Sounded like being inside a large steel drum, vibrations would make body panels buzz, sounded like driveline issue, maybe bad u-joint or carrier bearing. Again, it ONLY made the noise under a load. The noise would disappear as soon as I decelerated or topped out on the grade. Sprinter mechanic diagnosed as a transmission issue. Did the full transmission service: fluid and filter R&R and the noise went away completely! Just to put this out there in case anyone has this happen as it would be easy to misdiagnose as a driveline problem. Apparently, as the AT fluid breaks down the trans start to transmit vibrations under the floor like a driveline might. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom