Accessing under-seat wiring

rdtompki

I have an SMB sprinter conversion (2017), SMB having installed a factory hitch and wiring. I'm taking the van in next week for installation of a trailer brake controller. It's a highly experienced shop so no problems there, but I'm wondering if the swivel driver's seat has to be removed to get access to the connector. I can't even get the dust/safety cover out to get a good look.

sailquik

rdtompki,
Did your Sprinter come from the factory in Germany with the factory hitch and trailer tow wiring,
OR
Sportsmobile installed a trailer towing package when they up fit your Sprinter?
If your "experienced shop" needs to remove the swivel seat (which they may have to do as the
swivel seat may not slide far enough forward to clear the seat box access.
If they use the "factory installed green electronic trailer brake controller connector" (4 pins) it's
a pretty straight forward job....I've done 3 or 4 of them....but if there is no green connector,
then you don't have the full factory trailer package with TSA (Trailer Stability Assist).
TSA is a really important trailer towing safety feature, but if your Sprinter was not equipped with
the full trailer tow package at the factory when it was assembled in Germany, there is no possibility
it can be or was installed ex-factory.
There are at least 2 trailer tow modules in the driver's seat box.
Roger

rdtompki

I doubt if I have TSA which I assume would require reprogramming, but SMB did run the wiring up to the front of the van. I'm not too concerned about TSA since towing on our way out to Idaho (moving) I'd be towing a very small trailer, probably a few thousand pounds. Any future towing (unlike) would be a very small utility trailer, probably 1K lbs. total.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
If you send sailquik your VIN and a functioning email address, he'll return your MB Datacard, which will list all of the options they originally built into your Sprinter.

You can also simply submit it to http://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mercedes/vin_check to see it, ... but that requires screen-grabbing (or paying) to create an archived copy for yourself.

The various trailer-prep options start with the letter "E", but there are "wiring only" , "wiring with controller", etc etc

--dick

sailquik

As autostaretx suggests, the OE build data card will tell you if the E40 trailer towing package was installed at the
factory.
If so, you will have the TSA.
If not, you won't.
Send me a private email with your VIN # and a valid return email address and I will pull the
OEM Build Data Card for your Sprinter.
Easiest way to do this is"
1/ Click on "sailquik" at the top left of this message.
2/ In the drop down box click on "Send email to sailquik"
3/ Compose an email that includes the full VIN # for your Sprinter + a valid return email
address.
I will pull the data info off the MB Int'l Vehicles database and send you a copy at your
supplied valid email address as a .PDF file.
If you can, take a smart phone photo of the VIN # plate inside the windshield in front of
your driver's seat (top of the dashboard, inside the windshield glass) as this will make the
VIN # more clear, but not necessary if you carefully write the VIN # into your email.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

Top Bottom