T1N OM612 2.7L General information needed

B

billintomahawk

Hello everyone,
New member here in need of general engine theory and operation information.
Does anyone know where to find of an overview about how the T1N engine works?

I have done all the searches but have found nothing on general operation, component location and so on. I have not found anything that breaks down the various system operations and how they interact.

I have no idea how MB trains their Sprinter mechanics or how you all learned?
I am willing to educate myself rather than just ask the forum blind questions but I can't find a place to start.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

bill in tomahawk

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Bill,

The 2003 T1N Service Manual (download from link in my signature) covers your OM612 5 Cylinder engine and every section of the manual starts with an explanation of how that system works followed by Diagnosis and Testing checks.

It would be worth your while going through a few sections to get an understanding.

Keith.

B

billintomahawk

Last edited by a moderator:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
"Common rail" simply means that there's a single pipe across the top of the engine filled with fuel under high pressure.
The individual injectors are fed from that "common reservoir". Squirty squirt.
"Direct injection" means it goes into the cylinder itself, instead of squirting at the back of the intake valve.

Much more depth on the individual sub-systems can be gleaned from:
(a) the "T1N Serve Scans" sub-folder at http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference, namely: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/T1N_service_scans/
... it's full of MB training manual pages, and the first page of each section discusses what the gadget is doing relative to making the engine run.
(b) the "powertrain" sub-manuals athttp://diysprinter.co.uk/reference .. for example the 2006_VA_powertrain.pdf
... the first chapters of those manuals discuss "how it works", frequently in more/different detail than the Service Manual itself
(the 2003 and 2004 powertrain manuals are there, too)((the 2003 is buried in a ZIP file))

--dick

Last edited:

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Bill, you already paid the tuition for the best school yet: buying a poorly running T1N with a 612 engine! There's a learning curve, but you are certainly on it.
The '03 manual in post #2 is a HUGE help in understanding your engine and most specifically your wonky fuel system. Read it Read it Read it.
Puzzle pieces will continue to fall into place and a fuller picture will begin to develop. To be honest, now that I do this full time, I'm seeing a ton of the same stuff over and over again, but new things are being brought to me and I'm having to go back to the manual and re-read parts that I glossed over or just plain forgot about.
Also, it goes without saying "Without this forum, I'd be lost!"

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Norton said:
Look on the internet for MB WIS ( workshop information system ) it explains all repairs
I think Bill is not looking for "how do i fix the EGR", but instead he's seeking background info on "why did they put in an EGR?"

The WIS does have some of that, but mainly it's arranged to describe how to remove/install stuff.
I think the Service manuals are better organized for "what WERE they thinking???"

--dick

Last edited:

NORTON

I think Bill is not looking for "how do i fix the EGR", but instead he's seeking background info on "why did they put in an EGR?"

The WIS does have some of that, but mainly it's arranged to describe how to remove/install stuff.
I think the Service manuals are better organized for "what WERE they thinking???"

--dick
OK, look in section 25 Emission control in the service manual

autostaretx

Erratic Member
OK, look in section 25 Emission control in the service manual
..and (to continue with my EGR example), there's also the short description in the 2006 Powertrain manual:
Normal Driving Modes
Engine idle, warm-up, acceleration, deceleration and wide open throttle modes are controlled based on all of the sensor inputs to the ECM. The ECM uses these sensor inputs to adjust fuel quantity and fuel injector timing. EGR valve control is performed using feedback from the oxygen sensor. An oxygen sensor is located in the exhaust manifold to sample oxygen content exiting the engine cylinders. The ECM uses the O2 sensor, along with other sensor inputs, to govern the amount of exhaust gas recirculation to reduce HC (HydroCarbons) and CO (Carbon Monoxide). Engine coolant is routed through the base of the EGR valve to provide additional cooling of the exhaust gas, which further helps the reductions of emissions. The EGR valve has a self-cleaning function. When the engine is shut off, the EGR valve rotates twice to reduce carbon deposits at the valve seat.
(yeah, i know he asked about the 2003, but it's quicker for me to quote the 2006 version)
The 2003 is contained in this package: http://www.diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2003SprinterManuals.zip )

--dick

B

billintomahawk

--dick
That's correct. For instance I wondered about air, fuel and fire. How does that work?
The T1N is a very special engine, the fuel delivery is special. So is the turbo, turbo boost and inter cooler system, And what about that 5 speed transmission.

All special stuff plus a ton of sensors to control and instruct the process.

You would think the theory has been written up by MB but instead it is semi-secret information because it is buried in obscurity. The online info is there but reading it on a Google chromebook is mind numbing, nearly impossible to hold in reference.

No wonder techs struggle with this engine unless they are specifically trained and have a photographic memory.

I am trained as a registered nurse. If nurses were trained like this and healthcare information was this obscure half the population would be dead.

bill

trc.rhubarb

That's correct. For instance I wondered about air, fuel and fire. How does that work?
The T1N is a very special engine, the fuel delivery is special. So is the turbo, turbo boost and inter cooler system, And what about that 5 speed transmission.

You would think the theory has been written up by MB but instead it is semi-secret information because it is buried in obscurity. The online info is there but reading it on a Google chromebook is mind numbing, nearly impossible to hold in reference.

No wonder techs struggle with this engine unless they are specifically trained and have a photographic memory.

I am trained as a registered nurse. If nurses were trained like this and healthcare information was this obscure half the population would be dead.

bill
I guess you haven't met the doctors I've been through the last couple of years :yell:

I don't find the sprinter really all that different than any semi-modern motor... diesel or otherwise. If you look at how CRD works, that should cover most of your needs. Keep in mind that this motor 612/647 is used in all sorts of slight variants in all sorts of vehicles from Jeeps to sedans. The transmission also... just slightly different setups.

If anything, I find that they are overly simplistic in most respects compared to the 6 & 4 cylinder Mercedes motors.

I find the biggest issue seems to be the proliferation of crappy aftermarket parts and the modern 'mechanics' that only seem to be parts changers, doing what the computer says to do without applying logic or common sense.

I think you will find a ton more info on a general Mercedes blog such as the one from Gen-In.
http://www.mercedes.gen.in/

The turbo design is extremely common in more 'modern' motors compared to a wastegate setup.

To me the big stuff is the quirkiness of things, like the water sensor that must be placed exactly right to not leak yet has no positive engagement or retainer system... or that damn fuel line I need to replace from the low pressure to the high pressure pump but I need to take a ton of crap off to get to... or the f'in espar heater I need to eventually mess with.

My last diesel was a 1979 Peugeot 504 NA thing that made about 2 horsepower... mom bought it new and gave it to me in 1988. Trial by fire when i bought my sprinter and I feel pretty damn confident that I know what's going on with this thing and that' with about 1/2 a functional brain right now.

In fact, even gasoline turbos share a tremendous amount of the same sensors, technology and issues... especially GDI motors.

What I find truly amazing is just how much can be wrong with these motors and the management systems and yet they will still run. Maybe not perfect but they will run. Mine had fuel system air leaks, a bad injector, missing MAP sensor, unplugged AAT, bad grounds, dirty MAF, bad orings on the pressure regulator, bad egr, on and on... and yet I drove it home 400 miles without issue... Just low on power and I thought it was normal for 150ish HP until I started fixing things. As mentioned, i'm mentally limited right now, so I don't always make the best decisions and bought this on a whim. I try to inspect/test about one system per week and go from there and it's amazing how well this van runs now. Quieter, much more power, oddly similar fuel economy (about 22-24 in town), starts immediately, blah blah

In the end, always the same basics.. air, fuel, compression, fire... knowing which sensors monitor and/or control this is light reading. Using your scan tool can show you a lot. Having a high end scan tool would be awesome but I can't afford that... I'd love to see much more detail about what's going on.

Yep, I'm rambling. sorry about that.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Yup... fuel, air, fire ... the 3 ingredients needed to make it go.
That hasn't changed.
The only thing a diesel brings to the mix is that "fire" comes from the high compression ratios (18 to 1 for a Sprinter). P=VrT means that the compressed air heats to 900 F, which is "fire" enough for the fuel.
...nah, it ain't that special. The injectors are simply a "refined technology" of the device that squirts water into your dishwasher ... the "rail" is (in that case) your house plumbing. If you're in a high-rise, you even have the rail-filling metering system at work, too.

You're a nurse? The turbo's a ventilator.
"turbo boost" (just like "conventional (i.e. spark ignition) engines) is just a way of getting more air into the cylinder so that you can burn more fuel per stroke. More fuel equates to more power for the volume. (physical engine size).

The intercooler is just to combat that same P=VrT effect... compressing the air heats it, and they'd rather have cooler air (thus denser=more grams of air to accept more fuel) to play with.
Here our problem is that we don't know your background with respect to "normal" engines.
Do we try to explain things (or point you to) very very basic sources, or just the "added knowledge for diesels" (which is fairly slight) bits?
So hit a library... i fully agree that a 10 inch screen is a painfully tiny garden hose through which to view a vast amount of info.
Hence they earn the big bucks. There's an article in this week's Economist about how blue collar workers frequently have higher salaries than their immediate bosses.

I frequently consider myself half-dead... before the morning coffee...

--dick

autostaretx

Erratic Member
There are also many things that may not be covered in MB's training.
An example is the T1N oil filter holder...
Mechanics are told: "put the 3 O-rings that come with the filter on to the plastic stalk"
What they may not be told is the consequences of missing any one of them.
The smallest, bottommost (when in the engine) serves as a seal between the normal oil passages and the block itself.
If you leave that out, the oil just dumps back into the pan, instead of properly circulating.

Why did they build it that way? Quite possibly because that was a hole required for the machining of the engine block.
But it also might have been intentional, so that the remaining dribbles in the filter area *do* drain back to the pan when the mechanic pulls out the filter for replacement. Which is very nice ... a T1N filter change is easily the "cleanest" (minimal drips) than any i've done (not a super-sized sample).

Does the mechanic need to *know* those factors?
No.
But the mechanic *does* need to follow what holds true in any car: if there's a sealing ring in there, there darn well better be one in there when you reassemble that area. If one's missing (there are 3 in the box, why am i only finding two?), find it and find out why it wasn't in place.
Knee-jerk, learned-reflex mechanic behavior. (one hopes).

The home hobbyist "mechanic" often goes through the additional dialog: "can i be cheap and NOT replace the seals and clamps that are separately-priced parts?" (i.e. reuse the old seals, not totally forget about them)
(sometimes the Sprinter service manual does say when it's safe to re-use certain clamps and seals.
Experience (often "bitter") informs the home mechanic about the other ones)

--dick

Last edited:
B

billintomahawk

Hey Dick, Thanks,
Actually I had a light weight diesel tech course back in the day and worked in a fuel injection shop doing mostly Cummins and Mack rebuilding. That was before I went nursing. I get the basics and as for gas I'm in pretty deep, mostly with motorcycles and other carburated stuff.

I'm sticking with my 'high tech' call on the T1N. We worked on 2 stroke diesels which is another world.

That I appreciate your efforts and those of all the others who are helping everyone should go without saying but I'll say it again.
Thanks to you I locked my van last night and opened it this morning.

I bought a spare key on Ebay with a RIF chip and I am about to venture into that world.

Recently I found this...

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2058

Please keep it coming.
It's a wonderful world of electronically shared information.
We are rich.

My van has come to life, I am hundreds of miles from home visiting my son in Madison, Wisconsin.
So happy.

bill

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
My father-in-law is a retired nurse, so I sympathize if this is your first dive into engine mechanics. I’d be quite lost if I was asked to troubleshoot a kidney or describe why we have a pancreas. I don’t mean to discourage you at all, but can confirm that there is a vast body of knowledge underpinning modern vehicles and you will first need a framework to drop the facts and concepts into. If you can share how well formed your personal framework is then we can better tailor our replies to your current level. [Edit: this post overlapped with Bill’s, so I aimed perhaps a little low... :idunno:]

My technical background is an eclectic mix of square-rigged sailing, mechanical engineering, ship building, yacht maintenance, and even software systems design and programming. (I can be INSTANTLY boring at dinner parties in several fields!) And I appreciate that I have come to the Sprinter with a body of theoretical knowledge that makes it easier for me to navigate the interplay of its systems, but I still try to be selective in what I will dive into and what I simply treat as a black box where magic happens.

Diesel control has come a LONG way since I started learning about them, but they still boil down to “inhale-sqeeze-spray-exhaust”. Fuel injectors can use individual cam-driven mechanical pumps to push a metered volume of fuel into the cylinder, but with CDI engines the injectors are instead electronically controlled valves that pop open and closed with wondrous precision to release fuel from the common high-pressure rail into the cylinders. This makes the ignition timing, fuel quantity, and fuel flow rate things that can be precisely varied by the control system. This is beyond complex, so I take it on faith that the engineers got it right (black-box approach), but at the same time I am aware that there are inputs required for the black box ECU to make these decisions, and other valves and controls required to make the desired adjustments. The manifold air pressure controls the amount of oxygen entering the cylinder, so we have a turbo vane control and a MAP sensor. Lean combustion with an excess of O2 leads to NOx production and high exhaust temperature, but diesels don’t have a throttle plate valve to limit incoming air so we have an Exhaust Gas Recirculation system to instead displace some of it. The fuel rail pressure and opening timing of the injectors controls the amount of fuel, so we have a rail pressure sensor and a pressure relief solenoid. The high-pressure fuel pump has a quantity control valve to limit pumped volume and avoid overwhelming the relief solenoid. Glow plugs help light the fire during engine warmup, and the O2 sensor in the exhaust pipe tells the ECU how the combustion turned out. The Mass Air Flow sensor gives inputs on how much new air is coming in, and is used to help set the fuel quantity for clean combustion, and the Cam- and Crank- position sensors allow the ECU to time the opening of the injectors. At high RPM the fuel has less time to be injected before the piston has moved down the cylinder, so the rail pressure is increased to spray the fuel out faster. At lower speeds rail pressure is lowered again. Temperature sensors keep an eye on ambient conditions, and oil and cooling systems keep the engine from self destructing. The chemistry of these fluids breaks down with use, so they are changed periodically, with some intervals based on time (the G-05 coolant) and others on use (engine oil)

Again, the fluid technology has advanced with time, and today’s fluids *can* be very stable, but the chemicals that make them stable can also create problems for other components. For example, the additives that make engine oil stable can clog the exhaust filters fitted on the newest engines (not an issue for T1N’s DPF-free exhaust system) and the wrong coolant can damage the gaskets and seals inside the engine (as GM has recently demonstrated, with weak coolant resulting in blown head gaskets)

Okay... bit of a brain dump, and perhaps another audience I won’t be dining out with, but hopefully useful to shine some light into what all the solenoids and sensors on our engines are doing during operation, and how their malfunction can affect them.

-dave

Last edited:
B

billintomahawk

My father-in-law is a retired nurse, so I sympathize if this is your first dive into engine mechanics. I’d be quite lost if I was asked to troubleshoot a kidney or describe why we have a pancreas. I don’t mean to discourage you at all, but can confirm that there is a vast body of knowledge underpinning modern vehicles and you will first need a framework to drop the facts and concepts into. If you can share how well formed your personal framework is then we can better tailor our replies to your current level. [Edit: this post overlapped with Bill’s, so I aimed perhaps a little low... :idunno:]

My technical background is an eclectic mix of square-rigged sailing, mechanical engineering, ship building, yacht maintenance, and even software systems design and programming. (I can be INSTANTLY boring at dinner parties in several fields!) And I appreciate that I have come to the Sprinter with a body of theoretical knowledge that makes it easier for me to navigate the interplay of its systems, but I still try to be selective in what I will dive into and what I simply treat as a black box where magic happens.

Diesel control has come a LONG way since I started learning about them, but they still boil down to “inhale-sqeeze-spray-exhaust”. Fuel injectors can use individual cam-driven mechanical pumps to push a metered volume of fuel into the cylinder, but with CDI engines the injectors are instead electronically controlled valves that pop open and closed with wondrous precision to release fuel from the common high-pressure rail into the cylinders. This makes the ignition timing, fuel quantity, and fuel flow rate things that can be precisely varied by the control system. This is beyond complex, so I take it on faith that the engineers got it right (black-box approach), but at the same time I am aware that there are inputs required for the black box ECU to make these decisions, and other valves and controls required to make the desired adjustments. The manifold air pressure controls the amount of oxygen entering the cylinder, so we have a turbo vane control and a MAP sensor. Lean combustion with an excess of O2 leads to NOx production and high exhaust temperature, but diesels don’t have a throttle plate valve to limit incoming air so we have an Exhaust Gas Recirculation system to instead displace some of it. The fuel rail pressure and opening timing of the injectors controls the amount of fuel, so we have a rail pressure sensor and a pressure relief solenoid. The high-pressure fuel pump has a quantity control valve to limit pumped volume and avoid overwhelming the relief solenoid. Glow plugs help light the fire during engine warmup, and the O2 sensor in the exhaust pipe tells the ECU how the combustion turned out. The Mass Air Flow sensor gives inputs on how much new air is coming in, and is used to help set the fuel quantity for clean combustion, and the Cam- and Crank- position sensors allow the ECU to time the opening of the injectors. At high RPM the fuel has less time to be injected before the piston has moved down the cylinder, so the rail pressure is increased to spray the fuel out faster. At lower speeds rail pressure is lowered again. Temperature sensors keep an eye on ambient conditions, and oil and cooling systems keep the engine from self destructing. The chemistry of these fluids breaks down with use, so they are changed periodically, with some intervals based on time (the G-05 coolant) and others on use (engine oil)

Again, the fluid technology has advanced with time, and today’s fluids *can* be very stable, but the chemicals that make them stable can also create problems for other components. For example, the additives that make engine oil stable can clog the exhaust filters fitted on the newest engines (not an issue for T1N’s DPF-free exhaust system) and the wrong coolant can damage the gaskets and seals inside the engine (as GM has recently demonstrated, with weak coolant resulting in blown head gaskets)

Okay... bit of a brain dump, and perhaps another audience I won’t be dining out with, but hopefully useful to shine some light into what all the solenoids and sensors on our engines are doing during operation, and how their malfunction can affect them.

-dave
Dave, that's so nice. A couple of questions.

Does the '02 have a MAP sensor(I think it does)(I understand it has no O2 sensor)?

How are the turbo vanes controlled on my '02?

Your explanation of the injection system/timing/common rail and the ECU control of the same was great.

You can eat at my place anytime.
We can talk about what Green Diesel does to the T1N ECU.

bill

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
You’re welcome, Bill.

My van in an ‘04, which was the first model year with the in-tank fuel pump and electronic actuator on the turbo vanes, so I don’t have first-hand knowledge of the 2002’s OM612, but I’ve gleaned a bit over the last year. I’d have to consult the service manual to figure out the details, but the physics doesn’t change, so...

The 2002 uses a vacuum driven actuator on the turbo.
Because diesels don’t operate at negative manifold pressures like gasoline engines, the vacuum is generated by a dedicated pump, and is routed around to pull from the turbo actuator, the brake booster, the a/c recirculation flap and whatever other actuators. Auto makers used to use vacuum to drive windshield wiper motors, with the side effect that the wipers slowed down as you opened the throttle, which must have made highway driving in the rain a real treat!

I’m not familiar with the turbo’s mechanism, but electi-pneumatic controls are usually built around a pressure regulator, a spring, and an electric solenoid. The solenoid pushes against the regulator control spring, and the air flows to a bladder or piston, which pushes against a return spring to move the controlled linkage. (the EGR mechanism also uses a solenoid to push against a soring to open the valve vanes)

The turbo vanes’ pitch is varied by a linkage, which can jam, or the vacuum system can develop leaks, or the wiring can develop a fault.

I don’t know much about the 612’s sensor compliment either, but I expect there’s a MAP sensor as it provides feedback for the turbo control, so it is hard to go without one, but the MAF sensor is optional (indeed if you unplug it on the om647 it will soldier on using default airflow values). The O2 sensor provides feedback on the combustion stoichiometry, so I suspect you have one, but then again it’s possible to get “close” using mapped fueling values, so lacking an eco-mandate to be soot free the 612 may have been close enough without the O2 sensor providing control feedback.

The push for ever cleaner diesel emissions is behind most of the changes to control systems. The old camshaft driven injectors had a fixed pop pressure set point that determined when the fuel started spraying, and you controlled power by varying the spray duration (“cutoff angle”) during the piston’s power stroke. They were pretty basic, and you could see the results at the tail pipe. Injector pumps got closer, with better control of timing, but the common rail and electronic injector valve control brought diesels forward, with better atomization for a faster, cleaner burn, better timing for smoother operation, and higher RPM for more compact power. Unfortunately the fuel still burns slower, so some soot is inevitably left behind, hence the dreaded DPF, and NOx emissions continue to tighten, so engineers deployed urea injection and a catalyst to scrub them out (the BlueTec DEF system).

Obviously I could go on and on... interesting stuff.

Cheers,

-dave

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Does the '02 have a MAP sensor(I think it does)
Yes, it does. It's on the plastic pipe between the two battery-side big rubber hoses.
(I understand it has no O2 sensor)?
Correct ... no Oxygen sensor (how i worked that out:
(a) opened the 2002 and 2006 parts catalogs, searched for "oxygen". No hit in 2002
(b) opened the 2003 and 2006 service manuals, same search. No mention of sensor in 2003.
I'm pretty sure that's a major reason the 2002 isn't CARB-compliant.
How are the turbo vanes controlled on my '02?
Electronic valving of vacuum to actuator.

The 2003 (hence OM612, like yours) service manual is here: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/05 service manual.pdf
(despite the name, it's really the 2003 manual .. "05" was MB's designation of the T1N model)

How the turbo is controlled starts in section 11 (exhaust) page 6.

--dick

Last edited:
B

billintomahawk

Dick and Dave,
Thank you both.
My friend that's a girl has offered to download and print the entire manual for $60 which will cover her supplies and binders so I'm gonna go for it.

She already did the wiring section for free and she can print two sided sheets.
Maybe I will give you guys some rest as I take the rest of my life to absorb and digest the contents to come.

And of course the turbo is in the exhaust section...that's why I couldn't find it right off.

Guys, this is better than Treasure Island.

I haven't had this much fun since I failed Latin and used ink eradicator to change the F to a C+(that was 50 years ago).

ego quasi agnus innocens ductus ad victimam.

bill in tomahawk

Top Bottom