PDA

View Full Version : ISO OEM Parts or Suggestions

OldschoolBMXer
08-21-2018, 01:16 AM
It's Day 4 in as a new owner, just received my 2018 Crew Van 4x4 -- and I know I need to get these things updated but not in a hurry. I bought the van through a cancellation deal and was too late to make modifications to the options. I'm looking to get some of these items upgraded and would be grateful for pointers, recommendations, installation tips and links. If you happen to be upgrading to better parts than I have, and want to make a little money back, please ping me.

1) Steering wheel is plastic. I'd love to get a OEM leather wheel or a better after-market that would work.

2) It came with Halogen. I can live with these but my old eyes would prefer a bright white light. What is the upgrade for Xenon lights.

3) No Fog lamps - my bumper has faux indentations where they'd go. Do I need a new bumper?

4) Stereo and speakers - the stock stereo is so bad, the screen is tiny and I can barely make out the reverse camera details. What's a good replacement unit and speaker system.

Thanks in advance for your help. :cheers:

Bob Laps
08-21-2018, 10:59 AM
It might be too late but I woulda tried to convince the dealer that it really wasn't the van u wanted but u would buy it if they agreed to sell u some upgrade parts for cost.

Bob

sailquik
08-21-2018, 11:54 AM
OldschoolBMXer:
You will have to look at something in the aftermarket for a leather steering wheel, or put up with
leather covered plastic.
Remember, it's a "TRUCK" not a luxury sedan or sports car.
The Bi-xenon lights are terrific.....I have them.....whether or not you can find a dealer that can do the wiring and programming required to replace the std. headlights is something else again.
The fog lights are wonderful as well.....I also have those.....you don't need a new front bumper, they can cut out the holes in your existing bumper......but, again, finding a dealer that will go to Germany for the wiring and programming required to install the Bi-Xenons after the original factory build may be difficult or impossible.
You see all of these things can be easily handled during the original assembly of a Sprinter, at the factory, in Germany.
Once it's assembled, the easily handled becomes the impossible.
There are no replacement wiring harnesses......things cannot be easy added to the wiring harnesses
everything needs to be accounted for in MB configuration management......every change needs to
be programmed into the vehicles systems.
Any programming changes need to originate in the USA, be approved and programmed in Germany,
and the vehicle upgraded/updated back at the dealer's shop in the USA.
Sorry, but that's pretty much the way it is.
Roger

Wrinkledpants
08-21-2018, 02:14 PM
See below in red.

It's Day 4 in as a new owner, just received my 2018 Crew Van 4x4 -- and I know I need to get these things updated but not in a hurry. I bought the van through a cancellation deal and was too late to make modifications to the options. I'm looking to get some of these items upgraded and would be grateful for pointers, recommendations, installation tips and links. If you happen to be upgrading to better parts than I have, and want to make a little money back, please ping me.

1) Steering wheel is plastic. I'd love to get a OEM leather wheel or a better after-market that would work.
OEM leather can be retrofitted. Probably around $1K for parts/labor

2) It came with Halogen. I can live with these but my old eyes would prefer a bright white light. What is the upgrade for Xenon lights.
Fog lights will help a little. The factory HID's aren't very good, so you're not missing much with these lights. Lots of aftermarket options, but hard to do it correctly to ensure no glare to oncoming traffic.

3) No Fog lamps - my bumper has faux indentations where they'd go. Do I need a new bumper?
You can probably cut the holes out, but a cleaner option is to get the right bumper cover. Could resell your cover on craigslist.

4) Stereo and speakers - the stock stereo is so bad, the screen is tiny and I can barely make out the reverse camera details. What's a good replacement unit and speaker system.
Sky is the limit here. Visit your nearest stereo shop. No consensus on one head unit that everyone likes.

Thanks in advance for your help. :cheers:

Wrinkledpants
08-21-2018, 02:30 PM
OldschoolBMXer:
You will have to look at something in the aftermarket for a leather steering wheel, or put up with
leather covered plastic.
The Bi-xenon lights are terrific.....I have them.....whether or not you can find a dealer that can do the wiring and programming required to replace the std. headlights is something else again.
The fog lights are wonderful as well.....I also have those.....you don't need a new front bumper, they can cut out the holes in your existing bumper......but, again, finding a dealer that will go to Germany for the wiring and programming required to install the Bi-Xenons after the original factory build may be difficult or impossible.
You see all of these things can be easily handled during the original assembly of a Sprinter, at the factory, in Germany.
There are no replacement wiring harnesses......things cannot be easy added to the wiring harnesses
everything needs to be accounted for in MB configuration management......every change needs to
Any programming changes need to originate in the USA, be approved and programmed in Germany,
Roger

I would disagree with some of this. Certain retrofits are easy to do, others are not. Adding factory HID is a complicated process. Adding fog lights is not. You could do this with a new bumper, OEM parts, etc for about $600 and a few hours. Most dealers are happy to change the configuration settings as this commonly happens during various upfit changes. I recon you can add almost any factory option if you have deep pockets and patience. You can add on to a wiring harness as-necessary by simply taking apart the connectors and using the correct blank. But, it takes patience to do it correctly, ensuring your are code-free.

OldschoolBMXer
08-23-2018, 06:55 AM
OldschoolBMXer:
Roger

I think I will thank my lucky stars that I only waited 2 months to get my van vs 12-15 months currently for a 2019 model. I will live with what I have and upgrade them slowly. I'll get a full Aluminess rack system ordered soon and will get light bar(s) installed at that time.

Onefin
08-23-2018, 08:21 AM
Steering wheel https://www.terrawagen.com/collections/sprinter/products/sprinter-leather-wrapped-steering-wheel

Onefin
08-23-2018, 08:24 AM
For when you upgrade stereo.
https://www.ebay.com/str/impactproducts Adaptor rings for speaker replacements, and also a wall recess mounting panel for an alpine sub that takes no space up inside the van.

Onefin
08-23-2018, 08:29 AM
I think I will thank my lucky stars that I only waited 2 months to get my van vs 12-15 months currently for a 2019 model. I will live with what I have and upgrade them slowly. I'll get a full Aluminess rack system ordered soon and will get light bar(s) installed at that time.

If you are going to be anywhere near aluminess in SD, ask them (or agile off-road across the street) for a take off front bumper cover, itíll most most likley have the factory fogs still there. Wiring would be up to you. I canít image they do anything (aside from taking them to the dump) with take off bumper covers when they install front bumpers.

Onefin
08-24-2018, 03:56 AM
If you don’t have the control buttons on your factory wheel (or the extra cash) the terra wagon one will not work....so there’s plan B. You may want to join the UK Facebook sprinter group to get feedback on the following link.
I didn’t spend time researching fittiment or compatibility for your van.
There are several UK companies that sell recovered sprinter steering wheels.
Like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-SPRINTER-VW-CRAFTER-NEW-CUSTOM-MADE-STEERING-WHEEL/122882704699?hash=item1c9c61453b:g:m5IAAOSwyXNaQ4M D

OldschoolBMXer
08-25-2018, 01:51 PM
Steering wheel https://www.terrawagen.com/collections/sprinter/products/sprinter-leather-wrapped-steering-wheel

A bit Steep but it'd be the one I want. I contacted them and verified its a OEM MB wheel. It's got all the controls on it that is similar to mine. Looks fairly easy to swap out from the YT videos I've seen. Thanks for the link Onefin...