Seat Belt Latch Button

This is not a fancy Write-up, but may help someone.

The seat belt receiver latch assembly on the 2006 OEM bench seat became inoperative. The buckle/latch wouldn't insert and lock into place. All of the OEM seat belt receivers appear to be the same style.

A comparison inspection to working latches showed that there was a metal piece protruding out further on the non-working receiver. I tried pushing the metal back into place using a screwdriver, and even tapping a bit with a pair of linesman pliers. No love.

It then occurred to me to try a different tack. It used my duck bill pliers to grasp the plastic housing on the red button side, and pulled the plastic up fairly hard. That did cause the metal piece to retreat enough into the plastic housing that the button began to work. The red release button isn't as freely moving as the other buttons, but the seat belt now engages fully to lock in. Comparing to the other seat belts, after the belt end is inserted, the red button pops to the same position when locked.

The receiver is recessed into the seat cushions. It stands just proud enough that the plastic housing is subject to being pushed in. My theory is that something, or some someone put enough pressure on the plastic assembly to cause it to be pushed back and move the latch parts out of place.

If you have a seat belt receiver which stops accepting the belt end, grasp the plastic with some pliers and try to get the plastic housing to return to proper position.

:2cents: vic

Top Bottom