tongue aka torque for lug nuts 2007 3500

sailquik

Re: tongue for lug nuts 2007 3500

cmugler,
Did you check your 2007 Operator's manual?
All 516/519/3500 USA Spec. Sprinters with With Dual Rear Wheels and LUG NUTS
(except those with Alcoa Forged Alloy Wheels) use 133 ft/lbs./180 NM.
You need a 3/4" drive torque wrench if you want it to be easy to obtain that much
torque.
Best to use the same process that authorized Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealer shops use.
They run the nuts (with an air powered impact wrench) to ~ 100 ft/lbs. then use the torque wrench to tighten the nuts (in a crossing pattern sequence) to 133 ft/lbs. in a couple of stages.
Here's a copy/paste from the 2010 Freightliner Sprinter Operator's Manual:
The tightening torque is:
316/319/2500 with single rear wheels:
For wheel bolts: 177 lb-ft (240 Nm) (steel wheel).
For Factory alloy Wheels:133 lb-ft (180 Nm) (alloy wheel)
For the 516/519/3500 Series with Dual Rear Wheels:
For wheel nuts: 133 lb-ft (180 Nm)

Roger

Last edited:

lhprod

1st Diesel, 1st Import

Grrr... I’ve just purchased this 2008 Dually Sprinter, and clearly the previous owner hired Clark Kent to torque these lugs. My torque wrench maxed out at 150, and they wouldn’t budge...rather the lug nuts didn’t budge, the socket adapter and my other wrench budged plenty.

I think if I get a proper 1/2”, 19mm socket, I can probably get them off. We will see. Good thing I’m testing this at home, rather than in the road...

I’m assuming that even though great effort is made to mention the rear wheels, the torque specs apply to the front wheels as well...

Attachments

showkey

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Buy better tools..........if you have steel wheels the torque value is 177 ftlbs ........a cheap adapter may not survive ?

sailquik

showkey,
Ummmm the 177 ft/lbs-240 Nm is only for steel wheels with LUG Bolts on 316/319/2500 Sprinters.
All 416/516/519/3500 Sprinters have a specified torque torque of 133 Ft/Lbs-180 Nm front and rear
on the LUG NUTS!
Only variation would be Alcoa (or other brands) of alloy dual wheels that can go any position.
Have no idea what the torque value for the Alcoa (and other alloys) would be.
Maybe someone with those wheels has a specified torque.
Roger

showkey

Ummm.......My 2008 3500 steel wheels are 177 ftlbs.

Yes.......other models may vary. :hmmm:Point is a cheap tool might not work.

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
Tools - 1/2 drive minimum for lugs bolts / nuts. Harbor Freight is fine for occasion use. Longer lever makes it easier. Get the longest breaker bar you can to loosen (HF=25 inch) or get a cheater to slid over the handle. You should not use your torque wrench as a breaker bar on over-tighten fasteners. You should be able to tighten with an 18 inch torque wrench pushing down using body weight.

lindenengineering

Well a good case (as mentioned) for quality tools:-
Like Snap On, Britool, Gedore, Hazet, Acesa and let's say Facom to cheap stuff made in China.
Dennis

In fairness regardless of brand name tight lug nuts/bolts are beyond what is expected of that broken 1/2" to 3/8" reducer shown in the picture. Proper tools for the job at hand are as important as brand names.

I've found that the Harbor Freight deep well 1/2" drive impact sockets work well for removing wheels. For the T1N the 19 mm deep well gets the ratchet handle or breaker bar out just far enough to clear the wheel. I don't know about fit for an NCV3.

My ratchet handles and critical tools are Williams, Craftsman, Mac tools, and similar brands. No Harbor Freight ratchet handles in my tool box. There are plenty of other misc. HF tools in there which work for my DIY service. I firmly believe that my 1/2" drive Williams ratchet handle is stronger than many breaker bar designs including the "good" brands.

:cheers: vic

sailquik

showkey,
Here's direct cut and paste of pages 554, 555, and 556 from the 2008 Dodge Sprinter Owner's Manual.
Page 554:
!CAUTION
The tightening torque is:
for wheel bolts 177 lb-ft
(240 Nm) (steel wheel)/133 lb-ft
(180 Nm) (light-alloy wheel).
for wheel nuts 133 lb-ft (180 Nm)
Page 555:
For safety reasons, you must observe the
following after changing a wheel:
Have the tightening torque checked:
for wheel bolts 177 lb-ft (240 Nm) (steel
wheel)/133 lb-ft (180 Nm) (light-alloy
wheel) or

for wheel nuts 133 lb-ft (180 Nm).
The wheels could otherwise come loose.
Page 556:
Have the wheel bolts or wheel nuts re-tightened
after 30 miles (50 km) to a
torque of:

177 lb-ft (240 Nm) (steel wheel)/ 133 lbft
(180 Nm) (light-alloy wheel) for wheel
bolts or

133 lb-ft (180 Nm) for wheel nuts.

If you have a 4xx-5xx/3500 2008 Dodge/Freightliner Sprinter NCV3, you definitely have LUG NUTS!
If I were you, driving a cab/chassis with a heavy RV body added on, I would be buying
a set (24 EA) of the new style NCV3 Dual Wheel captive washer lug nuts to replace
what you have which have probably been over torqued (177 Ft./Lbs vs 133 Ft./Lbs)
many times.
While the manuals don't ever differentiate between 3XX series (2500 USA) single rear wheel Sprinters,
and 4xx-5xx (3500 USA) Dual Rear Wheel Sprinters (applies to T1N/NCV3/VS-30 2002-2020) they make the distinction
by calling out LUG BOLTS for (3xx/2500 USA) vs LUG NUTS for (4xx-5xx/3500) Sprinters.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

AMATEUR ALERT

For cryin out loud, why on earth are you using a torque wrench as a breaker bar. I would not trust the torque wrench accuracy.

A breaker bar is a lengthy, non-ratcheting tool intended for use with sockets to loosen stubborn bolts with greater leverage.

A torque wrench is a tool used to apply a specific torque to a fastener such as a nut or bolt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom