Hwy 12 in Utah

Reaching out to the members here.
Going to Utah on Hwy12 and curious how the Itaska Navion pdiesel engine performs. Any issues with the hills from a power standpoint. Any issues going up and down the elevations.

Also any issues going thru the tunnel. From what I can see I will need a permit.

Any input on these items is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

rollerbearing

Did it last year in our Navion 24V. No real issues you'll do fine. Which tunnel are you talking about? The Zion east entrance? If so, we did that the year before. I believe I was just within the dimensions - but the ranger does it by eyeball. They just wave you over because you look big, you pay for your permit, wait your turn, and then drive down the middle of the tunnel. It's really no big deal getting the permit and no stress at all driving down the middle. Have your passenger ready with a camera - cool photo opps entering, within, and exiting the tunnel.

The tunnels in Red Canyon by Bryce are no problem.

Last edited:

rollerbearing

Well things are pretty sparse down there, but no, didn't really have any trouble finding diesel. Just know your mileages to the next major town. You shouldn't have any trouble staying above 1/2 tank. It is largely farming community down there and farmers use plenty of diesel.

There is a MB dealership in St George and another around Provo (yes I check these things each trip) if you run into Sprinter trouble.

... You shouldn't have any trouble staying above 1/2 tank.

:thumbup:
With our trip out west I learned to always stay above 1/2 tank. Always get fuel when you can to save worry. It is amazing how scarce towns can become in some of the areas. :professor:

I recall one sign that indicated "No services next 80 miles." What it should have said was "No Nothin' for the next 80 miles." We didn't even see any agriculture related buildings that were near the highway.

We did Utah 12 heading south in our Sprinter van. That put my wife out on the outside of the road. She was often looking out over nothing. I've told friends that while up on the Hogback most times I slowed down for her (sometimes triggered by her vocalizations), but there were lots times when I slowed down for me.

Route 12 was a spectacular and memorable drive even before and after the Hogback area.

:cheers: vic

Added:
ROB SIMS

Utah12 001.jpg

Utah12 002.jpg

3 MOUNTAIN ROADS THAT SCARED THE SNOT OUT OF ME
https://wheretherobertmeetstheroad.com/2016/11/02/3-mountain-roads-that-scared-the-snot-out-of-me/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-ZoZyLDeOU&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

glasseye

It’s one of America’s most beautiful highways. Don’t miss it. Stop often. Dawdle. Relish.
In the words of a billboard in North Dakota: “Be Grateful”

Rock Doc

First of all, Hwy 12 is a "must do" Highway; it’s a National Scenic Highway, and there is a brochure/travel guide for it. As Glasseye said, dawdle and savor it. All that will happen is that it will add to your life; it’s one of those experiences that will not detract!

There are two fuel stations outside the east entrance of Zion NP at Mt. Carmel Junction, which is where I've stopped. There are also fuel stations just outside Bryce Canyon NP where you can easily fuel up. From there, you should have more than plenty of range to make it to Torrey (just west of Capitol Reef NP at the other end of Hwy 12). All the places I mentioned have #2 diesel, not B6-20, so you’ll be fine.

Relax and enjoy the wonders of Highway 12!

Rock Doc
2014 Pleasureway Plateau TS in 2013 Sprinter 3500

glasseye

Nice work, Rick. :thumbup: Familiar sights, those. Glad to see the have showers at Kodachrome Basin now.

One thing many photographers will tell you (at least I will) "Selfies are HARD."

Selfies while talking are even harder. :bow:

scotto

2005 3500 158wb SHC cargo
Southern Utah is one of the most spectacular places on our planet, I spent the month of April there, I posted a video on the trip on my YouTube channel, enjoy!
i really enjoyed that video. makes me miss utah. longest ive spent there at one time was two weeks. i think im gonna need to plan a month out there next time. too much to see.

glasseye

Kodachrome Basin State Park

Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument.
Extra points if you can find the second vehicle in this image. :popcorn:

Top Bottom