Start Problem

deandre

I replaced the Intercooler and hoses, and while I was in there replaced all old radiator hoses (all OEM - Behr). Started sprinter up and it ran fine. Drove it around town for about 1/2 hour.. It was.Made a couple of stops where I shut off and restarted the engine. After the last stop and while driving, I check the scanner for stored codes from before I changed the intercooler. Intake Air Temp sensor correlation, Manifold Absolute/Barometric Pressure Low, and Instrument Cluster not communicating whit ECM (I have been getting these same codes since the factory recall in 2017). It seemed to me after I erased the codes the engine, though running fine, seemed louder. After my last stop, the engine would not start. Would turn over and very briefly catch (tach would jump) and then immediately die. This is repeated over and over whenever I try to start. It will be much appreciated if anyone can give me advice.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Was this issue present before the replacement of parts?

What are the specific codes?

What year Sprinter?

Which factory recall are you talking about?

EDIT: I searched your posts and I found your info. Hmmm...

Can you take it back to the dealer who performed these (T21) changes? If it's complaining about the instrument cluster, it would be a dealer thing since they were the ones who last worked on it.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I agree... (just for symptoms together, what is your model year (you might add it to a signature block)))

If a 2004 (or some 2005s), it very well could be T21 related.

Also look for wiring harness damage (frequently where it takes a tight, cable-tied-down bend behind the fuel filter ... clip the cable tie and see if things change (for better or for worse))

--dick

deandre

Thanks for the input. Its a 2005 Sprinter. I will check the wires, and take it back to the dealer (don't really trust their knowledge or work).

But here are the Latest developments. (Started a new thread called "Starting Problem Help" instead of piggybacking off this one):

I replaced the Intercooler and hoses, on my 2005 Sprinter, and while I was in there replaced all old radiator hoses (all OEM - Behr). Started sprinter up and it ran fine. Drove it around town for about 1/2 hour.. It was.Made a couple of stops where I shut off and restarted the engine. After the last stop and while driving, I check the scanner for stored codes from before I changed the intercooler. Intake Air Temp sensor correlation, Manifold Absolute/Barometric Pressure Low, and Instrument Cluster not communicating whit ECM (I have been getting these same codes since the factory recall in 2017). After my last stop, the engine would not start. Would turn over and very briefly catch (tach would jump) and then immediately die. This is repeated over and over whenever I try to start.

So then the mechanic disconnected the plug to the Air Mass Sensor, and the Sprinter started and ran fine. Must be the Sensor, right??!!! So I bought a new Behr sensor and replaced it. Hooked up the plug to the sensor, confident it would solve the problem. Nope. Disconnected the plug again, and it started and ran. So that's where I am now.
???? any suggestions?

lindenengineering

Thanks for the input. Its a 2005 Sprinter. I will check the wires, and take it back to the dealer (don't really trust their knowledge or work).

But here are the Latest developments. (Started a new thread called "Starting Problem Help" instead of piggybacking off this one):

I replaced the Intercooler and hoses, on my 2005 Sprinter, and while I was in there replaced all old radiator hoses (all OEM - Behr). Started sprinter up and it ran fine. Drove it around town for about 1/2 hour.. It was.Made a couple of stops where I shut off and restarted the engine. After the last stop and while driving, I check the scanner for stored codes from before I changed the intercooler. Intake Air Temp sensor correlation, Manifold Absolute/Barometric Pressure Low, and Instrument Cluster not communicating whit ECM (I have been getting these same codes since the factory recall in 2017). After my last stop, the engine would not start. Would turn over and very briefly catch (tach would jump) and then immediately die. This is repeated over and over whenever I try to start.

So then the mechanic disconnected the plug to the Air Mass Sensor, and the Sprinter started and ran fine. Must be the Sensor, right??!!! So I bought a new Behr sensor and replaced it. Hooked up the plug to the sensor, confident it would solve the problem. Nope. Disconnected the plug again, and it started and ran. So that's where I am now.
???? any suggestions?
That activity is part of an overall diagnosis
A window into what might be going on!
Disconnecting the MAF sensor simply made the air control default to a set figure hence it ran!
Remember the MG/Hub reading is computed from the input of the EGR, The O2 sensor and the pressure sensors & turbo control to arrive at a corrected air fueling figure.
At this point a scan interrogation is needed to determine the problem area(s)--Wiring/continuity issues, grounding or an actual component.
Shot gunning can be expensive as you have discovered.
All the best
Dennis

deandre

Well, fortunately, the nice Mechanic took back the "shotgunned" diagnoses MAF sensor, and I put the old one back on. Another problem is that when I replaced the lower hose to the intercooler, I put on a hose clamp that was slightly to large. It felt tight, but it wasn't. Started driving and it popped right off.

OK, everything back on and tight. Driving it now, it runs much better - sometimes. Seems like great acceleration off the line, but then it's pedal to the metal to pass on the freeway. I am still getting codes P0107 [Map Sens Voltage Too Low] and P2199 [Intake Air Temp Sens1 / 2 Correlation].

I will check wiring [especially behind the fuel filter] once more and try reseating the plug on the MAF sensor. After that, I'm stumped.

deandre

OK, I couldn't find any open wires, and I reseated the plug on the MAF sensor. I also installed a new Ambient Air Temp Sender. Still get the check engine light and the same codes:Map Sens Voltage Too Low; Intake Air Temp Sens1 / 2 Correlation; Manifold Absolute/Barometric Pressure Low; and, once again, Glow Plug Control Module (which I haven't had for awhile). Plus, I am only getting 18 mpg on my last fill-up. Any more ideas? I am on my last nerve.

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
OK, I couldn't find any open wires, and I reseated the plug on the MAF sensor. I also installed a new Ambient Air Temp Sender. Still get the check engine light and the same codes:Map Sens Voltage Too Low; Intake Air Temp Sens1 / 2 Correlation; Manifold Absolute/Barometric Pressure Low; and, once again, Glow Plug Control Module (which I haven't had for awhile). Plus, I am only getting 18 mpg on my last fill-up. Any more ideas? I am on my last nerve.
Well, the MAP sensor is on the battery side of the radiator (it's one of the two devices plugged into the plastic sleeve between the two rubber hoses). It ain't the MAF.

Looking from above the battery towards the other side. Boost (MAP) sensor near bottom of photo:

The MAP sensor is a 3-wire device (+5v, ground, signal) ... and shares its 5v supply with the Fuel Rail Pressure sensor.

--dick

Last edited:

Top Bottom