2008 Sprinter - low boost and EKAS codes - loud whistling, new turbo

bigk

hello all,

Here are my original codes, and the codes that still return.

2359-001 - charge pressure control - too low boost pressure

2953-002 B90/3 (right Ekas end position measurement sensor) - The Valve is actuated and open. Readout too small.

I've been dealing with this issue for awhile. At first I suspected the turbo, so I removed it and sent it for testing. The turbo shop said it's "borderline" so I told them to rebuild it, in the process they lost the linkage from the turbo. So I had to end up buying a new turbo. Installed the turbo, and the same codes returned.

I took the van to an independent and he said it's the turbo, because it's not producing boost. I am not really trusting his diagnosis because it doesn't make sense and I have a very hard time believing a brand new turbo is failing.

Is it possible that the swirl flap can be causing this whistling? I will try to post a video of the noise. After a bit of driving the van goes into limp mode, anytime you apply a bit of load.

BEFORE the turbo replacement the van would only go into limp mode when going up a hill and really punching it, then after 10-15 seconds up a steep hill it would throw codes and limp home.

I replaced exhaust manifold gaskets, there was a slight leak, but obviously that didn't help.

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr
Sounds like a charge air leak to me. Check all the hoses and connections for a leak. Don’t forget the inter cooler. Look for a spot that’s damp with oil. There’s a small amount of oil in the intake air after the turbo, so that oil on the outside of the intake system usually indicates a leak.

showkey

Just a few guesses...........from a distance:

Guessing 225,000 miles ?

The whistle noise is likely a charge pressure or intake air leaks or both. Especially if Work has been done on the engine. LEAKS Any where in the system can ( will) cause LIMP ( no boost) mode. Finding the leaks Can be challenging and tedious. Pressure test and smoke machine are two methods

Swirl valve issue will cause LIMP and handle full of over codes. Intake manifolds replacement is thefix. There are dozens of other post on the swirl and EGR components that can be effected and should be addressed at the same time EGR valve and cooler and pipes and sensors.

Edit....typing the same time as Ptheland.

Last edited:

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
'Loud whistling' is kind of a giveaway that there's a leak somewhere. Check the hoses, noting that small splits in some areas may be impossible to see without removing the hose. As noted looking for oil can help, or just pull the hoses and inspect them. Another common leak area is at the resonator, if the seals are not installed properly they will leak, and in particular the green o-ring at the turbo outlet pipe is very easy to install improperly.

The other code seems to be a stuck swirl valve, maybe or maybe not related. Expensive PITA to fix, you can try looking at the linkages with a mirror and see if there's anything obviously amiss, but probably the intake manifold is going to have to come off. Once it is all fixed there are ways to prevent a recurrence (<cough>GDE>cough), but that's another story.

bigk

Hey guys, yeah so myself and another shop both couldn't find the leak. I pulled the manifolds off to take a look at the flaps, there was a TON of carbon in there. The actuator itself feels fairly weak as well so I figured might as well change it too.

Yes van has 160,000 miles on it. Also the valves had a ton of build up in there as well, was going to walnut blast it. Thought pulling the glowplugs to make sure I'm at TDC before blasting the valves...and one of the glowplugs snapped...oops. :'( Have a kit arriving today to remove it...I'll let you know how it goes.

Otherwise for the leak, yes I've checked the intercooler probably 4 times. Once I get it put back together, I will look for the leak one more time, and probably try one more shop before I send it to the dealer. I will do one last check for leaks, I think I've had a total of 5 people look at this car. I tried to record the sound to give some reference, but the video didn't turn out great... I will try to make the video again once I have it put back together.

Top Bottom