2004 sprinter trans issues

srlsales

I picked up a used 2004 sprinter last week w 204K miles. Fleet vehicle. Checked against the list of the usual 04 sprinter issues listed on this forum, test drove it about 10 miles, freeway and local. All was ok. Drove it 70 miles home, all was well until I got off the freeway. Then the trans would not hook up or shift from drive to lower gears. Pulled over, let it sit for 4 min. Started, and it ran a few blocks, same symptoms. At some point, the check engine light came on. Made it home using this system, about 1 mile. Let it sit overnight. Warmed it up for a few minutes. Checked oil level after it was warm. Was about 1.5 quarts low. Added red line d4 as thats all thats available on the weekend hereabouts. Added .75 quart. Took a drive, made it about a mile same symptoms. There is a whine when shifting manually in drive when its working, then it stops shifting into the lower gears. Shutting the engine down for a little as 1 min restores temporary driveability. Any suggestions? Got it cheap so Im expecting some repair. Thanks

srlsales

I just checked the codes and see 4:
P0715 Input/turbine speed control
P0404 EGR circuit
P0730 Incorrect gear ratio
P0299 Turbo underboost
I reset these and the check engine went out but still shifts as above. Thx

sikwan

06 Tin Can
The easiest is to check and maybe clean the EGR.

The next easiest is to check where the leak is on the transmission. Maybe it's leaking from the passenger connector o-rings. How is the color of the fluid and do you know if it has ever been changed/serviced? Check the linkages and connection to the TCM (transmission control module) underneath the driver's seat.

Lastly, this may not be a transmission issue. You probably have to fix the EGR or Turbo issues because part of going into limp home mode is to limit the transmission from shifting up.

srlsales

There are no leaks in the transmission. I think the fluid level was simply low. From the service records, I see it was serviced every 20K miles or so. Fluid is light brown. Could the egr and/or damaged resonator cause the transmission to behave this way? I see links to cleaning the egr and checking the resonator. Im trying to figure out if its a trans issue or something else easier to deal with before monday. Thanks!

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
i dont have an auto but ive read here that the sprinter tranny is very fussy about oil levels, id try topping up to correct level first.

max........

poiuytrewq

check if your wheels are the correct size, that could trigger a code, under power from the engine will put truck into limp home mode. how are you measuring tranny fluid level?

sikwan

06 Tin Can
There are no leaks in the transmission. I think the fluid level was simply low. From the service records, I see it was serviced every 20K miles or so. Fluid is light brown. Could the egr and/or damaged resonator cause the transmission to behave this way? I see links to cleaning the egr and checking the resonator. Im trying to figure out if its a trans issue or something else easier to deal with before monday. Thanks!
EGR and resonator can cause the transmission to act that way because the system goes into limp home mode.

Fluid should be ruby red if it was last changed 20k miles ago.

srlsales

I used a length of stainless cable topped off with a section of shrinkwrap tubing as per another post on this board. I checked when the tranny baseplate was around 180 degrees or so. The level is correct according to that post. Wheels are the correct 15" size for this model. Thanks

Ciprian

Spark Plugs not allowed!
If possible, you need to get it hooked up to a DRBIII to see what really is going on.

After checking the resonator and EGR, I would definitely do a transmission service with the correct MB fluid and filter, and while in there, drop the valve body and clean the 2 speed sensors. That might cause transmission issues. You will find a thread on here by the Doktor (abittenbinder) how to do that.

srlsales

I only have an obdII. My neighbor has a snap on modis that should work for this model. Will check on monday. Thx

srlsales

Drove around the block today but cant get the engine to throw a code. Behavior is the same. When cold, shifts perfectly for about 3 minutes. Then starts to make a slight whine when shifting either manually or in drive in all gears before the torque converter hooks up. Followed by the trans not responding to shifts in drive, then vehicle wont move in any gear and the engine will not rev up past 1500 rpm or so unless its in park. It revs normally in park. Turn off the key, wait as little as 5 sec and the trans will work with a slight whine when shifting then will stop shifting up or down in drive then no movement. A longer wait will allow the trans to operate slightly longer. After all this no codes are visible on an obdII. If I do get a DBFIII on this tommorrow and theres no codes, will that still provide any information? Sorry, not used to these types of vehicle issues. Thanks

sikwan

06 Tin Can
The DRBIII will provide more information than the regular OBDII meter (unfortunately). The error code is there.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Lets see- Over 200K miles, Brown ATF, low fluid level, AND records of trans service every 20K? What's wrong with that picture.

You're experiencing loss of drive and engine torque reduction (other than Park)- if these were induced by the TCM for transmission protection, you will likely find one or more of 4 codes using the DRBIII. Most likely will be an improper ratio code. Drop the pan for an inspection. Doktor A

srlsales

I only have the basic service interval instance information from carfax. Unfortunately, no detailed service records. Thanks everyone for all the assist. Ill get the scan tomorrow and post results.

srlsales

I had it hooked up to a Snap on solus and got more code information that was not readable by the OBDII unit. They were:
P2225-Tcm Dtc Speed Sensor Voltage Fault Present
P0105-Boost Pressure Sensor Can Message Error
P2556 Engine Coolant Level Sensor/Switch Circuit

I reset the codes. Am getting the trans fill parts today. My neighbor also suggested getting an intake pressure sensor and a input speed sensor, I guess the one at the rear axle.

srlsales

Well, Im new to this board but I think I can claim bragging rights to having the filthiest transmission of anyone here. Doubt it was ever touched in 204K miles. There was so much crud in the filter underside that the filter looked as if it was about to be pulled up through the filter housing. Speed sensors were covered in metal slime as well. Cleaned the valve body as per Attenbinders post and replaced the connector housing, filter and filled with the mopar MB236.14 series oil. So far with 30 miles of mixed driving it works perfectly! Thanks all for your help.

Attachments

srlsales

One additional note. I did notice the oft mentioned RSN while driving and saw that some had tried lubegard red to solve this. While I have a healthy suspicion of additive claims, I gave it a try. After about 15 miles of driving the RSN simply stopped. The transmission also shifts smoother. Is it possible that the .14 series fluid would have broken in by itself and caused these changes? Hmmm.

Top Bottom