New Sprinter Owner with a few ?s

Sacto John

I just purchased a 2006 118" extra high roof Sprinter passenger van. I have been looking for one of these off and on for several years and happened to see one on my drive home form work at a local dealership, so I did a u-turn and ended up buying it. It only had 10,000 miles on it as it was a local detail shop's shuttle, so it is pretty much a new Sprinter. I took the family on our first road trip down the California coast this last week and we all loved the room, view form big windows, ride and I loved the fuel economy.

I have a few questions. First I have a small boat so I will need to get a hitch installed in the Sprinter. I have installed hitches on the last few cars I have owned, but I have never had to drill my frame. Does anyone make a hitch for 118" wheelbase that does not require drilling, or relocation of the spare tire?

Also, the windshield washers are not working, can someone give me some suggestions on how to trouble shoot this problem?

I guess those are the only questions I have right now. I am sure I ill be visiting this site often. Thank you in advance.

John,
First welcome to the Forum.

There are a few hitches available that don't require drilling. It seems there are only a few USA hitch manufacturers, but more than a few different branded hitches come from them.

I purchased my hitch for a 2004 140 from http://www.etrailer.com/.

They show a Curt hitch for 118 WB.

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2006_Dodge_Sprinter+Van+with+118+inch+Wheelbase.htm

It states that the spare needs to be moved. A search using the "search" link in the blue bar above may get you a thread that refers to a hitch that doesn't need the spare tire relocated.

You will definitely need to use a trailer light module or OEM harness. Again, a search should give you what you need to make a decision.

Is there fluid in the washer reservoir? (Sorry, couldn't resist.) You might check the fuses. Be aware that I find it often is necessary to remove the fuse to really see if it is blown (the link is separated). Hope this helps. AP

Sacto John

There is fluid in the washer res., thanks :smilewink: I tried to find the fuse that runs the washer motor, but all I can find listed in the manual is for the wiper motor. Anybody know which fuse I should check?

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
hi, is the motor/ pump working? there are fuses under the steering wheel and on the cover that you remove it shows what fuse is for what,if the pump works then you will have to maybe take out plastic tank to examine it because its underneath and you cant see,maybe the hose has come off is there water leaking onto the engine compartment?:hmmm:
just a few ideas.

max.......

famof8

Famof8 + 1 = Famof9!
I have a similar problem with my pump, which does not work. I troubleshot by removing the hose from the pump on the washer reservoir. Then I had my son push the switch on the steering column to activate the pump. Nothing. While I had the line disconnected, I also shot some compressed air up the line to make sure it was not clogged. Found it disconnected under the driver's side wiper and the hose crimped shut under the passenger side. Fixed both. I haven't been able to quickly figure out how to disconnect the wires from the top of the pump yet, so I have set it aside for another day. Maybe you will have better luck determining how to disconnect the wires and see if 12V is getting to the pump.

Sacto John

The pump is not getting any power, it looks as if the washer pump may have been part of a recall. Again I can not figure what fuse to pull to check, none are labeled for the wiper/washer only for the wiper motor itself.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I have the 118" Hi and installed the factory hitch with no problems. There are holes for it, no drilling necessary.
The wiring was a bit tight. Part of the run is to pull wires up by the right tail light.
I guess the bigger guys have lots of room in that corner.
A solution was that there is an access hole behind the plastic bumper that has a rubber cap on it. This cap is the item that blocks the wiring from coming up through the correct passage. I was able to remove and replace this cap with a plumber's knife without removing the bumper.
Other than having about 4 feet of extra wire coiled under the hood, it was an easy install done in an afternoon.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I picked up the hitch and wire package at my dealer. I get a mechanic's discount since I have connections. turned out it was less than any aftermarket kit I found.

Top Bottom