My call to Town & Country Chrysler in Seattle - 2007 Diesel Sprinter Maint Items

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
With my 20,000 mile service due in a less than 400 miles, I called the closest Sprinter dealership to ask about prices and supplies.

Two things surprised me:

1) They want $100.00 (minus change and plus tax) for a fuel filter.

Berry Auto (www.sprinterparts.net) wants $51 and Steve Schock at www.europarts-sd.com is only asking $36.50 for one; and I trust Steve.

2) The dealership is now stocking and using Pennzoil European Ultra Diesel 5w-30 oil.

I asked about the change from Mobil 1 Formula M ESP (or whatever it's called) and he said "Chrysler changed last April."

Whatever. They also went bankrupt last April and I wondered if Mobil just stopped doing business with Chrysler Corporate.

The good news is that they're stocking an oil cited on bevo.daimler.com as being MB 229.51 compliant. I made him get a bottle off the shelf while I waited on hold. He said it does say "MB 229.51 on the back label."

Woo hoo.

In case you're curious, I'm doing the 20,000 mile service myself with parts purchased for considerably less.

I'm never pulling the trigger on the warranty and I'm disinclined to give any more money to any Sprinter sales and service licensee's (Chrysler)'s licensee ("dealership"); it's practically a pyramid scheme.

I think my Sprinter's gonna be fine for the remaining year on the warranty and even if it's not, I expect Chrysler would worm its way out of honoring a warranty claim if they saw a millimeter's worth of escape hatch.

I'm too lazy to fight 'em anyway and too cheap to cough up $100.00 for a fuel filter. It's a win-win situation.

-Jon

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Re: My call to Town & Country Chrysler in Seattle - 2007 Diesel Sprinter Maint Items

Hi Jon when you do your own DIY how about cutting it up curious to know why the cost is twice the normal charge for the fuel filter than via a MB outlet?
Pics would be great.
As you know I'm fussy with oil! Very fussy, hence no engine problems ever as to 15-40 semi syn's such as BP Vanellus C6 C7 now changed to castrol magnetic D and Mobil Delvac MX C4 older formulations due to Mobil syn lower sliver packeted oils not being a true synthetic.
Take a look at Mobil 1 with supersyn fully synthetic 0W-40 MB 229.5 tins and NCV 229.31 Tin now rated MB 228.3 Tin only it covers all engine applications including Euro 5 Blue-tec diesel it's a gold bottle not a gold label contained in a silver bottle that's the US formulation.But not cheap
There is some accurate info on the U.S sites as to why MB dropped 05 series stateside as to not meting the ASTM Standards of Euro oils.
This oil covers both Euro 3 and Euro 4 applications for a Mercedes Sprinter as to the the use of a DPF and cutting back on soot emissions etc.
Richard.
Adding Note Mobil Aus sates this is recommended in Australia this does not mean it is Stateside But worth having a look at. The bottles label is gold and so is the plastic container the silver on is an older formulation not confusing this with Mobil One syn sliver 2000 3000 specs.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Re: My call to Town & Country Chrysler in Seattle - 2007 Diesel Sprinter Maint Items

We're not going to go through that whole methylated spirit discussion again, are we? :)

Besides, I still have 10,000 mile filter, wrapped in plastic, sealed and ready to soak in a solvent I can get my hands on.....

Let me know what you wanna do and I'll give it a go.

-Jon

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite

Sorry I got as far as the UK and simply forgot, will do when I can find the drivers for my Sony \as I'm on a home based pc.
PS I can't understand why that filter is a 100 US/ what's in it Gold pixie dust:smilewink:
Richard

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen

I'd be happy to purchase one if - and only if - I get a research grant; cashiers check or money order will do just fine. Consider my initial posting as my formal proposal :lol:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite

I'd be happy to purchase one if - and only if - I get a research grant; cashiers check or money order will do just fine. Consider my initial posting as my formal proposal :lol:
That's a first:thinking: Jon's cracking under the pressure.:smilewink:
Richard

Top Bottom